EoK and anti PL feature ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by fortuneteller, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Tatanka Joe Schmo

The OP implies that the chars are not the same level (mentions PL).

There is a mechanism which many don't know about, where you get a (pretty nice) boost to XP if the mob is within 5 levels of you. And the higher in that range, the bigger the bonus. So, if the mob is even with the higher char, but let's say 6 levels higher than the lower char, the lower char wouldn't get any of this bonus.

That's the most likely explanation.
  2. CrazyLarth Augur

3. Tamaden Elder

Guy that got more AAs must be under 4k AAs with no auto-grant.
    BTW 5 AA is max AA cap per kill.
  4. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Can't go over 250/1000 AAs unless all-access.
    Can't imagine being all-access and NOT taking auto-grant, especially considering...
    This was a PL situation, i.e., they were in a hurry to catch up.

Plus, the higher level char (PLer) was getting the bigger chunk of XP, not the low level (PLee). So low AA count bonus couldn't be the answer.

But, without the OP providing more info, it's hard to really know.
  5. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Especially when in a hurry to "catch up", you do not take autogrant, until you are past the low-AA boost.
    Anything else is counter-productive.
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

That makes zero sense.

without auto-grant, the early AAs take very little time.
    with auto-grant, they take no time at all.

Zero time < very little time
  7. Eckish Lorekeeper

Depends on the final AA goal. You get a pretty decent catch-up boost with low AA counts. The higher tiers in core AA lines tend to require increasingly more AAs to complete. Clicking auto-grant will give you the first few tiers of those AAs, but then you'll have to grind out the higher tiers at the normal experience rate. It can be faster to grind the entire set of AAs from the core lines using the low AA bonus, then click auto-grant to get the extra few thousand of lesser AAs.
  8. Zhaunil_AB Augur

I am perfectly fine with you not being able to make sense of what i post - doesn't mean it's senseless posting though ;)
    I see that at least one other knows what i am talking about. (it's neither rocket science nor a well-kept secret either)
    So for yourself: put in a bit more thinking perhaps - i am sure you'll in the end see the wisdom ;).
  9. Celephane Augur

But you are asking for an answer to a question that isn't very clear. These are the sort of responses you will get
  10. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I see the very small benefit (very small) if you want to max one particular line or two, getting the AAs at the reduced rate. However, by the time you're maxing those lines, you're in the range where THOSE AAs are not that accelerated (it's not linear), and you're having to wait til you're level 101+ to buy them. And even then, that's offset by having to grind the previous AAs to get there, so, have you actually saved any time?

And if it's for a char who's being played while leveling, and not getting PLed in a day or two, do you really want to play without any AAs as you go?

So, it only applies in very specific cases, and you're taking longer to get to the "level 100 and I have all my auto-granted AAs" point, which is really where it's at. At that point, you can group with max level chars and contribute something.

Net:

Time to level 100 and I have all my AAs: faster to just auto-grant
    Time to level 101+ and have maxed some particular lines, and THEN take auto-grant: slightly faster to grind, but hobbled while you're doing it.

Not saying I don't get the math. It just doesn't make sense for most people.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Unless you are buying AA that are not auto granted how does this make any sense?
  12. Jaerlyn Augur

Hmm... IF you were not playing the toon at all, just letting them sit in group, soaking up xp, AND those first 4k AAs (or a large portion of them) were going to go to something that would not be auto granted, THEN yes, not taking autogrant could be a benefit.

But it is a corner case.
  13. Fohpo Augur

Definitely doesn't seem to be any anti-powering feature, have had my shaman sitting in group AFK for two nights. Still gaining XP like crazy, 85-101 without any pots.
  14. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Huh? (<=This is an expression of me wondering)
    I gave an advice, did NOT ask a question. (<=this is a statement)
    What gives? (<=That is a question)
  15. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Because, of course, that's exactly what you're doing (minus the 12 or 18 or so you need(ed?) to unlock the others).

No it doesn't.

Because this
    is only your take on it; in my eyes the whole use of "faster to just", "slightly" and "hobbled" are complete and utter BS.

Take a step back, and review the context - we are talking PL'ing here.
    The goal of PL'ing is to get a character up as quickly as possible - and not to actually play it in the 70s to 90s where your approach of taking autogrant early *might* make sense. Yes, when i PL a character i have it "tag along" for the most part. But even a ROG with just a few hundred AAs is, if those are selected "properly" already not useless. Granted, i wouldn't play him in a normal group much, but that is not the goal as i said.
    So, aside from the "faster" in the sense that you get to use the autogranted AAs sooner (basically instantly), autogrant is actually the wasting of time. "Hobbled" does not apply, and the "slightly" faster is, overall, actually quite significant - at least in my observation.

If we're talking characters that are played along the way, then yes.
    If we are talking about "getting there" as fast as possible, then those "most people" better make some sense out of it quick.
    But of course, that is but one element among many, just one not to throw away as was suggested - that's just dumb.
  16. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I think we're talking two different segments of the EQ population.

Your method works well for those who don't play (much) while being PLed, and get to max level very quickly.

The auto-grant method works better for those who are getting "ghetto" PLed (i.e. actually playing the char as the PL process goes and maybe not getting a PL all of the time, but solo/molo part of the time), and who may take a while to actually get near max level.

Most of my experience in the game, and people I've played with, are in the second group. I've you're in the first category, then have at it.
  17. chronicler Augur

I have to agree with the OP that there is something weird with the AA xp.

I went in with a rogue and a beastlord, each above 10k aa, and no vitality/fs sharing.
    This is the result of a number of kills.

This is the starting % of the AA each char had:

beast = 78, 04, 35, 66, 94, 20, 55, 90, 16, 33, 65, 96, 15, 31, 46, 77, 03, 19, 38
    rogue = 80, 94, 12, 29, 45, 60, 79, 99, 13, 45, 62, 80, 14, 42, 69, 86, 01, 29, 63

When playing normally the beastlord got more aa xp than the rogue.
    However there is a few changes when I did the fight a bit different.
    If I dot a mob and went FD until the mob was dead, the % changed around.
  18. Natal Augur

How is that different from how it has always been?

Mobs give a fixed amount of experience keyed off the highest player in your group. That is then redistributed among the group as a percent based on their level. With regular xp because the lower level toon needs fewer xp points to progress, they progress rapidly since even though their share of xp points is small, it is still large relative to the amount they need to level. This is the basic point behind PLing a toon and why it works.

In addition to the percent thing there is also a xp cap based on what the mob being killed cons to the individuals in the group. When PLing you want to be killing mobs that are just above yellow cons to your PLee. Killing anything higher does not benefit them more, and takes longer to kill, thereby reducing the efficiency of the PLing process.

With AA it is different since you need the same amount of xp points to level up no matter what your toon level is. Since you get a smaller share than the high level member of your group, your AAs level up much more slowly than his. That is why PLing does not work (and never has) for AAs. For efficient AA leveling you want to be the same level as the highest level member of your group.
  19. enclee Augur

I've been going through VoA progression in Sepulcher with my mage and ench box team. The mage is receiving more xp than the enchanter. Both are dark elves, same level 107 with 10% going towards AA xp, and both using mercs. I'm predominantly just blasting things with the mage. I forgot to rez, the mage once and it still caught up and hit 107 before the enchanter.