Old newbie

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Yallaen, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Yallaen New Member

Used to play in the early 2000's. I LOVED EQ; survived when the masses left for EQII, then they realized how bad it was and started returning. But I had then moved onto WoW and LOTRO.

I haven't played an MMPOG for about 6 years. I started playing Doom, and got hooked with playing a game again. I was going to go back to LOTRO, but then saw EQ was STILL ALIVE!

I originally had a 50ish Mage Elf. I also had a 20sum Enchanter. I think I was on the Xev server with my best friend back then. So, I'm d/ling the software, and had a couple quick questions...
    1. I've sent a request to support, but any idea if my old character is still even existing?
    2. What's a good tutorial source to remember all the ins and outs of the game?
    3. Good server nowadays?
    4. Mages still good? I liked the ability to solo better than most classes because of the pet.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

You might be able to recover your old account, worth a shot just for the loyalty points alone. There is specific directions on how to recover your account and it sounds like you sent a request thru that? If so then you remembered your user name/account name and pw? Or did you make a whole new account?

As a returning player go do the tutorial. All of it. It explains much of the game and continues up in POK where you can do a short quest to get access to a generic guild that will allow you to use ports in guild hall. This will come in very handy until you are ready to join a real guild or make your own.

Also use the search in here on the upper right and type in new or returning etc. There are tons of good guides that people have linked to help everyone and that is faster than me linking them all in here lol:)

And yes mages are still good. With a merc nowadays you will have lots of fun molo'ing (merc + solo = molo)

Welcome back!
  3. Yallaen New Member

Thanks much! I got my new character up to Lvl 11. Still struggling on the grouping/chatting thing. I used to have a bunch of buttons to say "LFG, PST", and there was a way to do something with %target or something like that.

The good news is that they found my old account! I can log into it, and I am a silver member, and have 100 DB bucks..whatever that is for? I'm guessing for some type of upgrade equipment, right? Regardless, the account exists, but the toons dont populate yet :(
  4. IblisTheMage Augur

The most important thing is the age of the account. That old an account will have all Veteran awards. You can get to lvl 56 really fast these days, roll a new mage on the same account, and try it out while you wait for getting your old characters back. Try a tank mercenary for fun. Check out Almars levelling guides.
  5. Sagarmatha Augur

Run away from this game as quickly as possible. It's obviously going to collapse any day now; just read ten posts on these forums, and nine of them are bellyaching rants.

Why they say, "I'm quitting because they nerfed my class/didn't fix this/banned me for cheating," and still read and post on the forums will always amaze me.
  6. slayerofbats Augur

^ That's what people said about Vanguard. Then it died...

You can make new hotkey macros to say stuff, there are many more slots now too. You get a big hotbar and then you can do shift 1, 2 ,3 etc. and get more pages. And you can have multiple hotbars open on screen together.

To say targets you do %t and it will say the target's name. There are other commands too. The DB cash lets you buy all kinds of gear from the store. Exp potions, better gear, etc. But you don't need to buy gear and most things because the game is already so easy now.

It is worth playing on that account though, because being a Silver account has a lot of important advantages. Normal free accounts suck.
  7. IblisTheMage Augur

My guess would be faulty parenting...
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

The 100DB that you have are Daybreak Bucks (equal to $1.00) and can only be used in the marketplace. You can add more with a credit card to buy stuff if you want. I suggest to just leave it. If you ever decide to go paid on the account then you get 500 ($5.00) each month free for marketplace goodies.

You also have 5760 loyalty points which is the max and you can spend those on stuff from a loyalty merchant. There is one in POK Secalna Galnor and one in Sunrise Hills. You will earn more each week/120 and have to spend as it will not go over the max so you loose the points if there is no room for them. No partials are given.

Your characters should be showing so if they are not you could try another petition to recover them. But they are not much use nowadays, the main thing are the Veteran Rewards and Loyalty Points the account has.
  9. Shanarias Augur

TOTALLY agree with this statement. Fortunately I had really good stuff in my shared bank. The highest level char was worthless compared to new ones. I have one old char around now, just for grins. It will likely be lvl 20 forever, and may become a trader mule or something.
    Geroblue likes this.
  10. Draoidh New Member

Another old-newbie here! Stopped playing in 2008 or so...but my old SOE account was apparently snarfed up by Daybreak -- as I was able to login! Got 50% of the game downloaded....still slow download/install --- some things never change. :D
    moogs and IblisTheMage like this.
  11. IblisTheMage Augur

Oh, and possibly reading glasses. A lot of the text did not resize with bigger screens with more pixels, so a lot i barely readable now if you are getting into the reading glasses age.
  12. Thoxsel Djess' Pet Warrior

Use /chatfontsize to help our with the size of text especially on high resolutions.
  13. IblisTheMage Augur

The map and the buttons are the problem for me, is there a command for them?
  14. corwin Journeyman

15. Thoxsel Djess' Pet Warrior

Ah I see. Not that I know of sadly! Maybe a custom ui?
  16. slayerofbats Augur

The maps are just hard to read. Try the height filter and also use mouse wheel to scroll it bigger etc.