Raid weapon models?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Bentbard, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Bentbard Journeyman

Is there a plan to update the raid quality RoS weapon model graphics? It's very unlike EQ to have such poor looking raid weapons. I wouldn't normally complain, it's just so unrewarding to have this array of dismal looking raid weapons as your prize. Very disappointing, I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way.
  2. Funk Augur

Saw a ranger with the new Phlogwhatever raid bow. It was Doves Cry color changed to blue with same particles from skybarrage. A laughable cut and paste. They either didn't think we'd notice the lack of effort or plain don't care.
  3. Tiggold Augur

I absolutely love the "plain" Kunark era weapon graphics myself. I enjoyed the purple glow weapons from EoK for about 20 minutes until that wore off. Dreadspine happens to go very well with any Sarnak illusion and the Combine Tactician illusion. Change your opinion to mine Bentbard or there's going to be hell to pay...:)
    Bentbard likes this.
  4. Bentbard Journeyman

Haha. I can't change my opinion! Even the augmentation rewards for challenger are the same as group drop items. Terrible.
    Tiggold likes this.
  5. Zhaunil_AB Augur

LOL...
    Sounds like someone has forgotten the TBM mace already.
    Really, what are ornaments there for?
  6. Zhaunil_AB Augur

For me, it's this.
    Looks are sooo far down the list for me. As i said, if i do not like the looks of something, i use an ornament and change them into something i do like. if only the player-made shields in the marketplace weren't all off by 90degrees...
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  7. Warpeace Augur

To fill up that nice storage crate you get for completing Scavenger of RoS.
  8. Zhaunil_AB Augur

:)
    Me like those crates that give me more storage for non-placeables.
    But i really have "my" set of ornaments that i simply apply to the weapons i carry.
    And when others are complaining about the looks (a totally non-functional thing), then i cannot quite get myself to understand why they don't either. Sure, there's not many that are to my liking, but after some looking and collecting i got my favorites. I am sure anybody who's not happy about the original look of their loot can do the same.

I for one certainly don't need ANY dev-time spent on "looks" beyond terrain and building textures/models.
  9. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Bristlebane Bulwark isn't. ;)

The shield situation is more of their 'ancient tech' we just have to deal with. The clipping on various races, and the odd orientation when you place them in real estate, too. sigh.
  10. Bentbard Journeyman

This overall complaint about lack of weapon models, is really more of a general issue with the quality of the expansion. I certainly didn't expect RoS to release with all the bells and whistles, but considering raid content is so time consuming you'd think this would have something visually appealing. It's a level of polish that most game companies have.
  11. AnzoRagespirit Augur

IMO Underfoot was the last expansion with amazing weapon visuals. Heart of the underfoot first katar is my all time favorite second is the katar from the sisters raid in the Convorteum raid (bloodletter of the sisters or something) if they would just make ornaments of these weapons and let us place them in any weapon I would never ask for anything again. I'd LOVE to wield these weapons again.
  12. Bigstomp Augur

I really liked the warrior sword from SoD. The only problem was a lack of size. (It looked more like a dagger in the hand of an ogre than a sword). The bastard sword from fear itself was really sweet looking too.
  13. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Different people measure "quality of expansion" on different things i reckon.
    I agree that overall RoS isn't much, but it has a few "highlights" imo.

On the weapons (or armors, as mentioned in another thread), i was certainly disappointed with the TBM mace i mentioned.
    (that was when seriously got into weapon ornaments, because of that)
    And i have not bid yet on any of the RoS weapons that dropped for us, not paid much attention to them really.
    But generally (over the last expansions, even in TBM with that exception) i think they did an "ok" job there - even if they reused models and effects and mixed them up and matched them together differently again.
    I personally could do with no particles and simpler graphics - especially if that would "buy" more time for more urgent matters (it doesn't).
  14. Bentbard Journeyman

Although that's true, as a game developer myself, quality/polish isn't something that's completely subjective. And this form of "canned" expansion fidelity, is truly lazy and unappealing. Considering it's been a year since the last expansion, I would expect something pretty simple with a large appeal such as weapon models to be included. I don't think anyone in the game industry can argue against that. These type of models are incredibly easy to make, so it just displays how much they were:

- Rushing to get this out the door
    - Lacked resources to do any sort of polish
    - In a narrow financial vision (actually most game developers know how badly this mindset hurts the quality of a game, even though it's not unexpected)

I guess I might have a unique view for this gripe since this is an industry I work in, but I'm sure others agree.
  15. Zhaunil_AB Augur

I too am sure that others agree with you.
    Eye candy is "the thing" for many, and for example WoW offered more of that then that began already.
    By now i expect many games offer "more" in that regard.
    And i am not even trying to contest your point or try to downplay your gripe - not my job.

All i am saying is that for THIS player it doesn't matter MUCH, and that for those cases that "matter" to me, i have found workarounds.
    (This is a player who's played - for example - some upstart SciFi MMO despite horrible graphics and gameplay, "even" (or especially imo) when compared to EQ - just because i liked the idea of a SciFi game with Starships and a Crew and where "you" are not the ship, but a crewman.)
    I personally do not play a game - this game specifically - for it's eye-candy. Nor do i think too many of us are.
    I consider this complaint valid but of such minor importance (especially in the light of RoS-related and last-patch-related issues) that i actually hope it's ignored. At least for the time being. You know... being put on back-back-backburner.