Playing by Remote Desktop??

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Elivo11, Jul 2, 2017.

1. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

It is technically feasible through a number of methods, many listed here above.

Your biggest issue, as many have pointed out, is whether you should. Your employer's Internet connection is their property and you would be stealing from them if you access it in ways that they have not authorized. But by actively attempting to bypass other measures they have put in place (like accessing things they have blocked), you would also probably guilty of other cyber-security laws.

Talk to your boss and/or your IT department. If you are afraid to do that first, you are probably in the wrong.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  2. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Also wanted to point out that your time is your time (if on break or lunch). But their Internet access is still their Internet access.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  3. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

But this is too much fun :) So if I got the OK from my employer, here is the list of things I would try in the order that I would try them:

1) Ask IT to whitelist EQ and any servers/ports it requires (probably in EQ's support KB). Best performance option and full disclosure.
    2) Connect to a proxy server (outside your company's network) to connect to EQ's servers. Either a service or one I would configure on my home server.
    3) Use a VPN to my home server, and then proxy into EQ's servers like option #2. VPN overhead will cause lower performance and probably wouldn't be necessary, but might help bypass any other corporate controls.
    4) Use a paid VPN/Proxy service. Lower performance (probably higher latency than connecting to your home server). Also, EQ (and possibly your company) has actively blocked some known VPN IPs.
    5) Use Remote Desktop to my home computer, and run the client on my home computer. Most likely the worst performing. Gameplay will probably suck.

:)
    Coagagin likes this.
  4. moogs Augur

Try #1 and good luck. (And your boss needs to be included in that conversation.)

If that doesn't work, STOP in your tracks. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

I'm saying this as an IT guy. At some point someone is going to sniff some network traffic and come to your desk asking what the hell you think you're doing before giving you 15 minutes to collect your personal belongings.
  5. RandyLahey Elder

Aside from the rest of the "You should be working" comments...

Remote Desktop is simply emulating your desktop. It will work persay, but as stated earlier you will likely see a fair amount of lag. Let's just say I wouldn't plan on raiding via remote desktop :p
    Bigstomp likes this.
  6. Bigstomp Augur

I've seen it done via an LTE mobile connection. But like you said, I'm not sure I'd want to try it for real play. (the seen it done was just someone wandering around showing they could in lobby and pok)
  7. IblisTheMage Augur

On a more theoretical geeky note, would it be permissable by DB?

I at some point contemplated trying to set up EQ on AWS, well for no good reason other than bragging rights, but EQ may not run on a virtual platform. I realize Remote Desktop is not virtualization, since it is running on the native operating system of the hardware that runs the game... (if that is the definition), but somehow you could argue that you are not playing on that machine, you are playing on the non-remote client...
  8. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I did it by Teamviewer from around the world. Freaked the kids out. Laggy as hell though.
  9. Tweakfour17 Augur

I apologize for the necro thread but I'm having an issue and I was wondering if anyone else has ever had this issue.
    I'm running google remote desktop for android on my samsung phone to connect to a windows 10 laptop. Mostly plan to use it to chat in game while I'm bored on the bus or on break etc but for some reason the keyboard is completely unresponsive in EQ. It works fine on something like chrome or notepad but EQ will not accept a single keypress. In the past I've used Teamviewer and the keyboard worked fine there. I swapped to Google Remote Desktop since the mouse works better and the graphics are much more crisp but its kinda hard to chat w/o a keyboard. Its maybe worth mentioning that if I have an open Google Remote Desktop connection and then swap to TeamViewer at the same time that the connection is still open TeamViewer is also unable to send keystrokes to EQ. Once I close the google connection Teamviewer starts working again. I'd really love to just have Google Remote Desktop so was hoping someone here would have any insights or suggestions?

Thank you
  10. Triconix Augur

If he were the boss he'd just get his workers make the exception rule in the firewall and/or proxy servers to allow VPN to his personal network at home. Or better yet, get a computer placed on the company's DMZ and open the specific ports that EQ needs to run probably.

If he were working for himself why wouldn't he just configure his work LAN properly? You don't have to get any approval because there's nobody to get approval from. Also, how many companies do you know that allow you to play games at work? I work in the IT security field for a major hospital organization. Other than the CEOs and Presidents we don't allow a free-for-all on our networks.
  11. svann Augur

If you do, make sure it is a trustworthy program. Dont download the latest "eq at work remote desktop" program or you might find yourself with your passwords stolen. Remote access is very much a security risk, if it is not from a responsible party.
  12. Tweakfour17 Augur

I assume google to be "safe" lol, yes they are actively harvesting all data they can about you but not selling it to identity thieves so I guess that makes them the good guys.
    Anyone ever get this working with eq?
  13. Tiggold Augur

You can use TeamViewer which is the most stable of the ones I have used but it sucks too. All because of lag. When I'm RDPing into someones PC it's usually laggy just for doing simple tasks. Put EQ on top of that and it's a downward spiral.
    Shanarias likes this.
  14. Tweakfour17 Augur

Yeah it's laggy but you could probably do TS or buy/sell. Also useful for chatting, but I doubt you'd be able to raid or XP via RDP. The issue I'm having is with EQ blocking or not accepting keypresses from Google Remote Desktop for Android. Anyone ever seen this?
    Tiggold likes this.
  15. Tiggold Augur

Using Windows 10? Known RDP connection issues with some recent patches. I don't have the KB # or I would list it.
  16. Mediik Augur

Splashtop works well.. ;)
  17. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Yes, it's possible. The speed of the connection and the host system, will determine the limits of what you can do.
  18. Tweakfour17 Augur

Known RDP issues in due to Windows 10 patches or EQ patches?
  19. Absolutt Journeyman

I run Teamviewer at work to bazaar browse and do TSes, even with gigabit both from my work and my home computer it is still very laggy and you couldn't really group unless you are playing something like a ranger where you are assisting and autofiring for headshots.
  20. Tiggold Augur

Windows