Can we not increase the level of mobs in old expansion missions?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mezz, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Sindace Elder

Honestly, these threads have been extremely productive at pointing it that fact that the Devs botched this one super hard. Pretending that we’re supposed to bend over and give Prathun a high five for his (non) customer service is ridiculous. There hasn’t been one in depth, sorry for destroying your gameplay, anything near an apology for the lack of foresight and/or testing. Do whatever you want Devs, but your entire job is to develop gameplay, not smash past expansions. I’m down to one all access account between the 4 I actually play and my two trading accounts. Man up already and admit you messed up and will be fixing it. This “we’re looking at options” response does nothing to acknowledge the inconvenience you’ve heaped on any and everyone working past expansions.
  2. alanon Lorekeeper

But it does keep some people paying while they wait. I canceled my 4 accounts til they say what their plans are.
  3. svann Augur

Ohh. Ldon hard missions. Now there is an idea. Could we have an option to do gribbles the hard way at plus 5 levels? Sometimes you just wanna try something craxy
  4. Mediik Augur

I pretty much hate the mission scaling. To me going back and clearing old missions after a level increase was very rewarding. I think they should revisit this. The scaling is ALWAYS broken. It will continue to break every expansion. Just go back and make it not scale.

1. There's no new rewards are there? Can I get new currency new loot? NO

A waste.
    Caell likes this.
  5. UncleUms Journeyman

They already had a huge lockout. When it went to 6 hours we stopped doing them completely and have not gone back. Honestly I did not even realize that people rely on them so much, but I don't mind that they do.

It has worked well for many years. I would like to see them just put it back to whatever it was two weeks ago and let us carry on for another 18 years.
    Pani, Gyurika Godofwar and Yinla like this.
  6. DruidCT Augur

This is what I think. Some developer at DBG has a pet project of making completely scalable content and they managed to sell it up the chain for TBM and then completely barfed it up, largely because they couldn't make scalable focus effects... i think trade-able currency and using currency for type 9 augs also didn't really work right. In any event the idea failed miserably in TBM. But whoever it is just can't let it go and is trying again. I'm not saying it can't work, I am saying it can not just be some knob twirls across the board. You would have to go to each affected instance and playtest and tune and itemize (which may not even be possible without new code) which would all be a colossal waste of time for something NOBODY wants. Risk vs Reward used to be a mantra we'd hear from the devs. There is no reward here.

In particular don't scale up Hate/Fear in TBM, and don't scale up the Hero missions which were hard to begin with for casual groupers to do in past expansions. I'd also rather not have any instances that have "time trial" and other special condition achievements. Those are old achievements that may have been hard to do in era that people would like to go back and steamroll. They certainly aren't going to drag a good current group back to do them just for the achievement, if they had a good group they'd go play in RoS!
  7. Hurrikane Journeyman

Correct me if I am wrong. If you are in Group EOK Gear at lvl 105 and you do old HA... when you buy ROS expantion and lvl up to 110 and get new AA... aren't you acctualy Less powerful since The Mobs now Hit Like ROS mobs and you aren't able to get a full set of ROS gear? So in theory you are less powerful when you lvl up. I thought the point of EQ was to do the Opposite of that
  8. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Having a HA scaling DOWN serves a purpose and i think noone minded that.
    Even HAs scaling UP (in mob level) is "ok".
    I never took note if NPCs in CotF scaled to my LEVEL or not - with TBM and EoK gear i could go in there with impunity (almost), as i expected.
    There was nothing wrong with how it was in my eyes. New levels and gear SHOULD give me an edge, is my thinking here.

What is NOT ok at all, is when mobs in old expansions (and for CotF, that IS a whole expansion, in effect) suddenly become - in effect - current expansion's mobs. However that "scaling" has been done, that needs to fist be taken back and then, if insisted on, re-thought.

HAs are a good idea, i think - especially for the scaling DOWN part.
    The scaling up, i am not so sure about in general. And i am sure that it's "wrong" to have them scale up the way it's currently the case.
    Ok, the effect might mitigate over time again as people's gear and powerlevel catches up with RoS output. but we're bound to see these effects every 5levels as it is now, and that is still bad.
    As was mentioned above, the scaling should stop somewhere or at least be selectable.
    If selectable, this "automatic reuse" of old content might even be welcomed - well, provided mob's loot tables scale accordingly. i for one sure miss the possibility to XP outside of static zones in RoS.
    Otherwise, old expansions should just be that - old expansions. Even moreso when there are achievements tied to old stuff. Or do you think it's fair that some people do those against lvl100 mobs while others have to do them against lvl110 mobs, including new abilities and stuff? i don't.
  9. Nolrog Augur

LDON uses a completely different system, that is no longer used. IIRC, everything is hard coded so every level of mission is like a completely new one, basically built from the ground up.
    snailish likes this.
  10. Baeltor New Member

Pardon me if I missed it, but are the missions like the Anashti Sul from Broken Mirror affected by the recent HA changes?
  11. xclip New Member

In another words you dont know how to do it. Doesn't surprise me one bit.

In my life seen so many people working jobs that they have no clue how to perform. Ah well games on its last breath anyway so I guess it doesn't matter how inept you are at this stage, right?
  12. Zehn Lorekeeper

If they arent supposed to participate, they why would they intentionally invite the criticism by replying at all, or are you implying I should be grateful they responded at all? That is insane. By that reasoning, they should be grateful I allow them to live in SoCal, and drive BMW's by helping pay their salaries.

As if anything said here would change one iota of anything they do? You're looking at a company that decided to use a liberal interpretation of the rules to justify suspending a boat load of players for "exploiting" a mechanic they knew was actively placed in the game. And enforcing that interpretation long after it was put in the game, and by their own words "exploited" in other missions prior to this one. My point is not to debate the suspensions, it is merely to support the fact they will do what they want first, then deal with the repercussions of their actions after the fact. It is literally the only gaming company that works under the "its better to ask for forgiveness, than ask for permission" mentality.

They will continue to roll the dice and assume that the player base will always be there. In the end, for whatever reason, when the game sunsets, the players will find another game to give their money too. The devs will unfortunately have to look for jobs. If the move is wrong, they are cutting their own throats.

Shrug ... just my own opinion.
    Sindace likes this.
  13. Sklak Journeyman

Every instanced group TBM mission, plus planes of hate & fear, are all impacted by the recent HA change. Anashti Sul missions are now substantially harder for a full group in RoS group gear with max AA's at 110, than it was 2 years ago at 105 (which was at the time far from trivial to complete, without a very well coordinated high-dps group or raid gear). More than double the mobs dps, triple the mobs hp, with same mechanics. (Sadly, my dps and hp haven't even close to tripled, to keep pace with TBM mobs). If try them at 105, they have "only" 30% more hp and more dps than they did a week ago.
  14. Baeltor New Member

That is unfortunate and means my group will likely not be finishing TBM progression, nevermind the Relife aug.
  15. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Why are they still changing old content to make it more difficult to do? I can understand making changes when the older content has been broken (as in not working at all or not working the way it has in the past) but why are they still messing up older content to prevent people from going back and experiencing it later?
    Gyurika Godofwar and Sindace like this.
  16. Tornicade_IV Augur

Smedley was ac against the release of Gate of Discord and time proved him right.
    SOE's President, John Smedley, was quoted as saying that Gates of Discord was the company's "worst mistake in five years." It was later revealed that the development team built much of the expansion's content with the idea in mind that the level cap would increase to 70, but that did not happen. This would at least partially explain the seemingly unbeatable content found in the expansion. While the community waited for the issues to be resolved, SOE announced the eighth expansion, Omens of War, due in September (a few months later). Players saw this as SOE ignoring their concerns with the issues surround GoD, and a sizable group of players vowed to boycott the eighth expansion until SOE properly addressed the concerns. The controversy came at the worst possible time for EverQuest. Many of the top tier guilds avoided the frustration simply by joining the ongoing beta for World of Warcraft, which would release in November of that year (2004).

SOE held a summit in the Summer of 2004, inviting many of the games' top level guilds and players from across all servers. SOE ended up delaying the release of Omens of War by a few months to dedicate time to fixing Gates of Discord. But many would say that it was too little, too late, as many of the game's most devoted players had already moved on.
    https://www.giantbomb.com/everquest-gates-of-discord/3030-6116/

I consider ROS, a Gates type of expansion developer wise.. which is fine. they actually included the level increase this time around.( as well as the bug apparently)
    but the Idea that HA and mob scaling should be done game wide instead of zone and expansion specific is their worst mistake in 18 years.

plus this expansion release was out of cycle COTF Level 100 with Pre 95 content and itemization included
    TDS Level Increase 101-105
    TBM Pre 100 content and itemization included
    EOK 105 specific content
    ROS - Level increase.

With Ha's the new dynamic is that as the level raising expansions are released there is scaling content within 2 of the 4 previous expansions.
    I don't pretend to know why Devs do or don't do things but it clear you can see results in the game.
    *Gamewide Spells allowing mobs over 105 in all zones to begin casting ROS spells.
    103 and higher mobs being scaled to ROS difficulty Gamewide in instanced zones.

I am not sure what the deal is here. the devs said your have to have EOK tier 2 gear to do this expansion. Fine. but to require EOK tier 2 group gear for your base tuning of scaled instances and using your ROS date to build those mobs is just completely .... shortsighted..

and the only response we got was that max level was harder in COTF when TDS was released...

COTF was already bumped up once after TBM release.
    CotF HAs obsolete now?
    Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by tavv, Nov 20, 2015.

This is another bump up as it impacts more than scaled 106-110 content
  17. Poonghie New Member

[IMG]
  18. Angahran Augur

This is exactly why I am boggled whenever people say they want a level increase expansion "because they want to be more powerful".
    Sure, after you spend 10k AA buying the copy & pasted levels of your existing AAs which give a 0.0001% increase.
    Then spend 500k PP buying your new copy & pasted spells which give 0.005% increase (and don't forget the 200k PP to buy your new type 3 focus augs).

Now you're ready to go out and be 'more powerful' against the new levels of mobs that just got 500% HP/Mana/End, cast all the new spells (or the much better mob versions).

Do you feel powerful yet ?
    Hurrikane likes this.
  19. Hurrikane Journeyman

This man is on his game
  20. Fohpo Augur

Across the 4 or so threads, it's kinda obvious this was a colossal mistake. Can't wait to read about it in March after they make changes and my subs have lapsed.