Can we not increase the level of mobs in old expansion missions?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mezz, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Mezz Lorekeeper

I understand the idea of HAs scaling to level, but can we have missions stay at a fixed level like raids? The main reason to do missions is for the gear rewards, and for those that couldn't get the TBM relife aug (like necro), I was looking forward to helping them get it now that the level cap is 110. Unfortunately, the levels of the mobs have scaled with player level, so you still need ideal groups to complete them.
  2. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Can you also stop giving 106+ NPCs in other expansions ROS spells, just because NPCs have new flash spells in the new expansion, NPCs shouldn't be casting them in prior expansions making the content so much harder now than it was when it was released.
    UncleUms, mmats, Tornicade_IV and 2 others like this.
  3. Prathun Developer

It's not currently technically possible.
  4. mackal Augur

Back in the day, scaling instances = making a set of NPCs for each level range :p

I do wonder how hard it would be for them to use HA scaling on older "scaled" instance if the requester was above a certain level, but that might not be possible, or at least much more work than people would think :p
  5. fransisco Augur

LDON stops at a certain lvl. Mobs just don't scale after lvl 70. The same thing cannot happen?
  6. Bobsmith Augur

Inc scaling LDoN to 110 :p
    svann likes this.
  7. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

The level scaling itself isn't a huge issue, we've had that all along, and things were manageable. It's the new change where mobs can have difficulty on par with equal level mobs from a newer expansion that is the problem. Similar instances in CotF, TDS, and TBM should not have similar difficulty just because they are beyond the original level range. They should be progressively more difficult in the order they came out. CotF should be mostly moloable (for tanks/healers, dps need to bring a friend). TDS should be a little harder, and TBM a little harder than that. TBM was already pretty tough, so it may be fine as it was (not as it is now).
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  8. Prathun Developer

LDoN adventures and Heroic Adventures are completely different systems. LDoN has duplicated sets of data for spawns, encounters, and NPCs every 5 levels in brackets. LDoN NPCs don't scale at all; the group is assigned one of the many brackets based on the group's average level. "Hard" LDoNs are one bracket higher than what would normally be assigned. LDoN adventures stop scaling because no higher level data exists and the highest existing bracket is the fallback.
    HAs have only one set of NPCs that scale up or down relative to the level of the highest level character in the zone.
    Quatr and fransisco like this.
  9. Mezz Lorekeeper

Well, please put this on the enhancement list. Missions should not scale. Whether or not merc/partisan instances scale is open for debate.
  10. Scorrpio Augur

What is not technically possible?
    Keeping instanced missions the level they were released is definitely there. When I take out "Search for Ilsuras" in Stoneroot, the drachnids are deep grey.

Not giving RoS level toughness to older expansion mobs in scaling missions is also in. I ran EoK HAs after RoS launch, and mobs were yellow cons at 107/108 but they were EoK-tough.

So I must conclude it is not technically possible to retune Gloomingdeep...
  11. mackal Augur

How do the OoW expeditions scale? (catacombs, hollows, sewers)
  12. Daedly Augur

Then give us the ability to manually choose what level it is scaling to rather it being automatic
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  13. mackal Augur

That's the same thing.
  14. Daedly Augur

I didn't read them as being the same, though I could be wrong. I am definitely not a programmer, so I am likely way off base on how it would work. However, he said the currently HA base their scale of the highest level in the zone. Which I imagine it does some kind of check. I would think shifting where it grabs the number for the level from looking at the characters to a number we enter would be how to do it.

If that even makes sense.
  15. Natal Augur

Not possible to keep missions at fixed levels or not possible to limit spell sets mobs cast?
  16. Kinadorm Augur

Can we just revert the changes that were made and lower the exp in HA's so at least the content is still doable for progression, collection items, and hunters? I don't care about the exp but would like to be able to go back and finish progression for some alts and finish collection/hunters without trying to find a solid group willing to do 3-4 year old content. There are other places to earn exp but HA's are the only options for certain collection items and hunter mobs.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and noclue like this.
  17. Natal Augur

None of the HAs included as part of merc/partisan/progression should scale. They are part of specific expansions and should be tied to the level of those expansions. Anything else is unacceptable.

Any scaleable content should be completely outside of that, in addition, anything that does scale needs to have the rewards revamped so that they drop current loot/rewards/currency at the higher levels, and not the original stuff.
    Jumbur likes this.
  18. Absor Developer

Most missions do not. We did some experimental stuff in TBM to make the content available to more people, which also meant making the missions scale. They always have, it's just that now they scale to higher levels.
  19. Absor Developer

Mission != Heroic Adventure, just in case that was going to be someone's next question. I know that most of these terms are meaningless to players, as they should be. But they mean things to us.
    Mission = group task in an instance
    Heroic Adventure = group task in an instance that scales and often has multiple possible routes

For TBM there isn't a lot to distinguish the two.
    Zhaunil_AB and IblisTheMage like this.
  20. Natal Augur

So, what you are saying is that to sidestep the mess you guys have created, we need to create lower level alts to get the HAs, then invite the real toons we want to run them to get old achievements we are missing without getting the snot kicked out of us? Why are you forcing us to go through all that nonsense to get old stuff done?

Just get rid of the HA system completely and replace the encounters with the proper levels for the era that those missions/tasks came from. Nobody wants the HA system, it serves no purpose.
    noclue likes this.