Augs for a beastlord

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by chronicler, Apr 7, 2013.

1. chronicler Augur

Which augs would be best for beastlord?
    I mean, today it is rather possible to get all augs for anyone except for a few ones, like those raid anniv augs, and except for last years anniv aug, the rest is starting to get obsolete.
    As a rule, I like to solo, but also group. When solo I ofc. use a mercenary.
    So AC for that part is important, but I guess there is an amount you get to, when more ac will not count as much.
    So far, I gone for high ac + heroic str/agi.
  2. Recnarp Augur

All depends on how you play. If you do a lot of tanking, I'd go +Dex/Sta with AC. I'd skip out on the +Str unless you mainly just raid or plan to never tank. +Agi is an okay stat, but most veteran players will say +Dex comes out on top in almost all situations.

Personally, my top augs are sorted by 1ac=5hp from raidloot.com as I tend to do it all in EQ (raid, group, solo, dps, and tank)
  3. Stubar Augur

Get as many anniversary augs as possible. 11th anniversary augs are a must beastlords are poundsd per pound they pack the biggest benefits to us. The rest are solid until you can figure out what works best for you.

Augs will come down to personal preference as you will see when others chime in on the thread.

My personal preference is Str followed by Dex then spell damage. Agility and stamina are a very low priority for me, they don't help your dps in the very least and the myth that they will keep you alive longer because you have more hp (sta) is.... Well a myth. If I gank agro during a raid, the extra stamina and agility aren't going to make any difference at all. As far as ac goes? 85 percent of the newer augs have ac on em anyway so you'll be fine as long as you farm current augs.
  4. Brosa Augur

Funny I logged in this morning to ask the same quetion in regards to Ranger augs.
    For my beastlord I've only gone for Hstr augs. I never use him to tank so ignore all other Hstats. As far as I know for Bst no other Hstat provides any dps. Make sure to keep your CE Acc ST mods maxed out. Keeping a differant Hdex Hagi aug with mods you need in the bank to keep them maxed isnt a bad idea. For most high end toons this isnt a problem though.
    For Ranger I am contimplating mixing up Hdex and Hstr. My ranger only tanks in a pinch so I am not focusing on Hagi. He mainly Range dps' only melee dps in close quarters. Should I mix it up or go all out Hdex?
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:Heroic_Stats
    Don't mean to highjack your post Chronicler :rolleyes: but both our questions are on in the same and replies to my question will most likely give you answers as well :)
  5. Recnarp Augur

+Dex and AC isn't gonna save you either. +Sta is mostly for incoming spell damage is how I look at it. So the reality is that augs play a minor roll in today's inflated NPC DPS. =p
  6. Oakenn Tigerspirit Augur

THIS!

The reality is augs are, in the long run, not going to have a huge impact one way or another. Go with what you prefer. The only thing I'd say is if you want to tank in groups I'd go with a tank heavy aug set.

Personally I don't go for any 1 stat to the exclusion of all others. I look for hstr, ac, hp, mana, hagi, hdex.

I'll usually grab the top 4-5 tank augs then focus in on hstr (dps) augs. I don't wear any of the augs that are like...

ac
    mana
    end
    Hxxx

I hate them and think they should burn. Wouldn't wear them on any toon its the biggest contradiction I've ever seen in an aug.. esp the ones with Hsta but no HP. Thank you for artificially pretending its a hp increase over the aug with 300 hp and no Hsta.
  7. Xequecal Journeyman

I strongly recommend going "tank" augs as a BST (HDex, hAGI, and then AC in that order) for all beastlords. "DPS" augs do next to nothing, and you'll get more DPS out of occasionally avoiding being one rounded once or twice than you ever will out of hSTR augs.

Whatever you do, do not aug for hSTR or hWIS. HSTR and hWIS might as well be blank. These stats do next to nothing, hSTR adds 1 point of damage to melee attacks, so the difference between 150 hSTR and 400 hSTR is attacking for 1500 damage or 1525 damage. 250 hSTR does not even add one half of one percent to your DPS. AVOID. HWIS is similarly useless, +1 mana regen per 25 hWIS. You will never notice this effect.

The most useful stats for DPS are spell damage and clairvoyance, but few augs have these. If you have augs that have these stats, use them.
  8. Stubar Augur

B
    Spell damage is valid, clairvoyance on the other hand??? Been broken since day one...and still no fix in sight.

Clairvoyance not a viable choice.

"Tank" augs are pretty much going to come if farm current augs. The best advice I can give is try different combo's.

Farm the str ones, put em in, do a parse. Farm the dex ones, put em in, do a parse...rinse repeat. You'll eventually find the right combo for your play style.

I still stand behind the fact that if we gank agro in a raid situation, no amount of agility/dex/sta is going to save us. We aren't a plate class and should be a speed bump if we can't manage our agro accordingly. I love my AC as much as the next guy, but if Yymp decides to start pounding on me? LOADING....please wait...is inevitable.
  9. Xequecal Journeyman

It can save you for one round so you can feign death. It's better than sticking in hSTR augs that do absolutely nothing.
  10. Stubar Augur

Ya, you know...you're probably right. So I should switch to clairvoyance? Perhaps a more in depth explanation on how that works would be helpful to everyone that has questions about it. I'm a terrible beastlord and always give bad advice on the forums, in the server-wide and in tells. /sarcasm off

Everyone should definitely listen to someone who has no identity, signature, has a devastating total of 8 posts and recommends using a stat that has...well never worked.

You said "These stats do next to nothing, hSTR adds 1 point of damage to melee attacks, so the difference between 150 hSTR and 400 hSTR is attacking for 1500 damage or 1525 damage." and that's something and not absolutely nothing. That is non resistible damage that's going to add up quick over a whole night.

Again, it's all going to come down to preference. Telling people to use Clairvoyance is just bad advice.
  11. dwish Augur

Curious, what is the reasoning for using heroic dex over agi when it comes to tanking? I have a high level tank as well as a beastlord, and I have always been under the impression that heroic agi is far and away the best bang for the buck when it comes to tanking and taking hits. With the somewhat recent dex nerf that reduced it to affecting only ranged melee, I have all but stopped using heroic dex augs in favor of agi augs on my beastlord (in the spots I don't have solid heroic str augs that is). I know that heroic dex still affects parry/riposte chance, but I was thinking that heroic agi had more benefit overall when it comes to tanking?
  12. Noobieguy Augur

I think you may have answered your own question. Hdex affects parry and riposte. Hagi is dodge. Both are important for tanks, I can't say which is more so :p
  13. Riou EQResource

Because heroic Dex boosts those 2 at the same rate as Agi boosts its 1 (1% riposte + 1% parry (if general melee) OR block (if bst/mnk) vs 1% dodge per 25 interval in each). This also has other benefits, such as more ripostes = more tanking DPS, more melee leach healing from SK or with SK's epic click on you, etc. Dex also has side benefits like boosting your melee crit rate and boosting your range dps.
    Mykaylla likes this.
  14. Apex Elder

So much truth in this statement
    Stubar likes this.
  15. dwish Augur

Thanks for this explanation and that does make sense. However, I was thinking that heroic agility has other benefits as well besides just improving dodge. Does it have any affect on the AC softcap, as AC does increase with each heroic agi point. Or does heroic agi just simply affect dodge chance and that's all? This thread is seriously making me think twice about always going for heroic agi over heroic dex.
  16. Riou EQResource

The Devs have said it boosts the Defense stat in some way, no one has parsed this benefit however. Heroic Dex is still > Heroic Agi defensive wise though, and if you are going for Agi over Dex (as a melee, since casters don't have parry/riposte Dex gives them nothing) you are hurting yourself if your goal is Defensive.

Keep in mind though that they only work in 25 intervals avoidance wise, so it can be worth dropping Dex if it doesn't bring you down under an interval to bring your Agi over an interval. Then you basically have to re-look at this though basically every upgrade if you are trying to min max them :p
  17. xxGriff Augur

with the inclusion of type 5 augs, H-stats are easily balanced, and you can focus on the stats you desire. Type 7/8 are essentially AC/HP/Mana with some stat adjustment(s) that on average, pale in comparison to type 5's in terms of Hstats. just saying that type 5 are my focus for my H-stat/char
  18. Jaerlyn Augur

One caveat to the above. (Which mostly doesn't apply to beastlords, but just in case random people are reading this....)

The % increase to parry/dodge/riposte from heroics does -absolutely- nothing against raid named, and some raid trash, as well. (They have heroic strikethrough above and beyond anything players can achieve.) But the increase to avoidance from heroic agl is uneffected by heroic strikethrough, so it does help some in those cases.

If you are gearing for survival in raids, as a beastlord, your best stat is going to be stamina. I'm not saying that's it's better to gear for survival over dps (or the reverse.) But keep the above in mind.
    Brohg likes this.
  19. Waldagar Augur

Can't let Jaerlyn get the last word...especially on Beastlords ;)

Group Game: Your pet should be tanking, so you should be focused on DPS. Beastlords are very dependent on weapon procs and only one heroic produces [small] boosts proc rates (HDEX). I would get all the HDEX and HSTR you can get. Just make sure the aug has decent AC for the type 7/8 augs and some select type 5 augs.

Raid Game: If you are just starting out and are playing in group gear you need to be concerned about survival. You should not be tanking anything and it is the AoEs that are going to kill you. You need HPs in order for the healer to have time to get a heal on you. With group weapons, you are not going to be setting any parses on fire, so I would load up on HSTA. As stated earlier a dead BST = ZERO DPS.

Once you get some raid gear and weapons and reach an HP level where you can survive, then you can start looking at swapping to heroics that boost DPS.

Did I just agree with Jaerlyn?
  20. Mazame Augur

As a Bst we are a jack of all trades so to know what aug is best depends on how you play . Please see table below on what each heroic offers. Most of the Top Raiding bst will go with HDex. The reason is Agi helps dodge and defense skills. Where Dex get Riposte, block, parry and Proc. So your getting more vs the Agi. When compared to Str it debated back and forth. Str give more DPS if u never get hit but lets be real everyone gets hit. Dex give dps and protection. Another way to think of it is like the Pal, Ranger, Bst buff.. Some ppl like the def of the Paly other like the Dps of the Ranger and often the Bst is a mix of the two. Str = dps Agi= defense Dex = a mix of both but unlike the buff the Hdex is a good for both DPS and Defense. If your not into raiding and play your bst in a box setting then Hwis can help keep your Mana coming back. Dot are high mana but effective so based on play style it could be an option .

One thing I like to point out is what ever you pick focus on it. Heroic effect are based on the amount. Example it take 10 HStr so if you get a mix of heroic you may be missing out. 1-9 Hstr is the same as 0 Hstr. so if you want to make your heroics the most effective pick one and Stack it to the max.

- Heroic Intelligence: Increases mana pool, mana regen, and the maximum amount of mana regen an int-based caster can have. It requires +25 heroic intel to gain a single point of +mana regeneration.
    - Heroic Wisdom: Increases mana pool, mana regen, and the maximum amount of mana regen a wis-based caster can have.
    - Heroic Strength: Increases endurance pool, endurance regen, and the maximum amount of endurance regen a character can have. Also increases damage done by melee attacks and improves the bonus granted to armor class while using a shield. (10 Heroic STR increases each Melee Hit by 1 point)
    - Heroic Stamina: Increases hit point pool, hit point regen, and the maximum amount of hit point regen a character can have. Also increases endurance pool, endurance regen, and the maximum amount of endurance regen a character can have.
    - Heroic Agility: Increases endurance pool, endurance regen, and the maximum amount of endurance regen a character can have. Also increases the chance to dodge an attack, grants a bonus to defense skill, and reduces falling damage.
    - Heroic Dexterity: Increases endurance pool, endurance regen, and the maximum amount of endurance regen a character can have. Also increases damage done by ranged attacks, improves chance to successfully assassinate or headshot, and improves the chance to riposte, block, and parry incoming attacks.
    - Heroic Charisma: Improves reaction rolls with some NPCs and increases the amount of faction you gain or lose when faction is adjusted.