/assist , /pet attack... Why doesn't it work?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fyuri, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Fyuri Journeyman

I have my social/macro set as such...

/assist player
    /pause 1, /pet attack
    /pause 30, /cast 1
    /pause 30, /cast 2
    /cast 3

Here's what I don't understand. When I tap into my other characters windows and hit the Key that strikes the macro, the assist works, the casting works, but the pets Dont attack, ever.

The pets DO attack the second time I hit the macro, halfway through the fight.

I have tried all manner of pauses, removing pauses altogether, nothing. Cannot get the pets to attack via social/macro on pull. Lots of wasted of DPS, lots of wasted healer mana from loss of stuns.

Any help?
  2. Rumstil Lorekeeper

A decade from now, they will release quality of life improvements to fix EQs pathetic macro system, but for now, you have to put the /pause before the command even though it waits after the command

e.g.

/pause 5,/assist fyuri
    /pet attack
    Rhaage likes this.
  3. Denial_Sinfae Augur

Think the pauses on the line come after the action. So try putting the pause on the /assist player line?
    Rhaage likes this.
  4. Fyuri Journeyman

Have tried it that way, with various pause durations, doesn't work. Same thing, the first time I strike it it doesn't work, the 2nd time it works fine. But that means my pet isnt fighting for 15 seconds.
  5. Eckish Lorekeeper

How long of a pause have you tried? Assisting has a delay for me, sometimes significant. I keep assist in a separate hotkey.
  6. segap Augur

Macros are unreliable. I've had macros that skip the first two lines then run the third, then skip the fourth, then run the fifth. Another time they run every line. Adding larger pauses make no difference. I've also had things like '/timer 20, /alt act 123' where the timer gets set, but the AA isn't activated (no, not a cool down issue). Then there's having assist on, but attack never getting enabled on assist. I keep four lines of '/attack on' in my assist macros on melee and that still fails at times. Just flaky, unreliable code.
  7. IblisTheMage Augur

Put assist on a different button, so that you have these phases on different buttons

Assist/buff/aa
    Initiate attack
    DPS

Verify that the toon has target before Initiate attack
  8. Zipe The Healer

/pause 5, /assist player
    Pause 1 is too fast. try 5, or if you have server lag or FPS issues, try /pause 10.
    UncleUms likes this.
  9. Moege Augur

If the player is marked as main assist rather try:

rightclick on a slot in extended target->choose Group assists Target

hotkey looks like
    /pause 2,/xtar 1
    /pet attack
    /pet swarm
    etc

/xtar 1 uses slot 1 on the extended target.

I have found that the /assist player or /assist main has a delay of its own that is irritating.
    Plus side you can then just use "raid assist X target" when raiding
    Risiko and Rhaage like this.
  10. Metanis Bad Company

I have learned that for the /assisting to be reliable in routine lag situations you need the first two lines to look like...

/pause 3, /assist MAIN
    /assist MAIN

Yep, you have to assist twice. And 300 milliseconds is about the absolute quickest I can set this. For many years I used a value of 600 milliseconds.
  11. Raccoo Augur

My hotkey looks like
    /pet back off
    /timer 10,/xtar 1
    /pet swarm
    /pet attack

Where xtar 1 is set to main assist's target. Think it works without the pause for me.
  12. Risiko Augur

Hmmm I never knew about the /xtar command. That's cool.
  13. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Using /xtar worked for me. /assist has issues, and by setting /xtar to a player's target, you're leaving the issues on DB's side, and then it works more reliably.
  14. Fyuri Journeyman

/xtar 1
    /pause 1, /pet attack
    /pause, /cast 1
    /pause, /cast 2
    /cast 3

Works every time. :)

Thank you guys, can always count on fellow players for solutions!