Shadowknight dominated by Mage and Beastlord pets.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Soulsiphon, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Karthos Augur

I definitely wouldn't recommend it for a raiding mage unless you are made of money. However, a boxed mage alt with a raid loot ear would no doubt dominate quite a bit of group content.
  2. fransisco Augur

As a group mage, my problem is rarely my pet dying (at least in T1 zones).
    The problem lies in the multiple awful abilities named have (I'm looking at you death chicken in OT, and the cactii).
    When a mob casts a single target effect in RoS, it oftentimes skips the pet and casts it directly on the pet owner. So that aweful dot cactus's cast - it always goes on the mage instead of the pet. And this is a huge problem if you have healer mercs, cause they get stupid when 2 people are taking damage (pet tank and the mage).
    Things like this are the main problems
  3. ~Mills~ Augur

See to you this is annoying but to most others who don't have the benefit of a 300,000 hp earth pet having the damage split up is the only way they are able to get by. Healing your pet for the melee and healing the owner for the dots makes it manageable if the pet took both the melee and dots then only mages earth pets could do anything.
  4. Cicelee Augur

Wow your earth pet has 300k hp? I jelly!
  5. fransisco Augur

300k em18 earth pet? Sign me up for one of those!! It probably has closer to half that
  6. Sancus Augur

No, it actually does have about 300k HP.
  7. smash Augur

What you mean with 3 air and 1 earth?
  8. Aurastrider Augur

3 air pets and 1 earth pet. Not to mention my sk pet and the countless swarm pets that I keep up during combat.
  9. IblisTheMage Augur

Of many ftw
  10. Skvoid Elder

Pets this expansion are very good (my own SK Rk1 pet can tank the mobs in OT fine, only has issues holding aggro)
    As a full EoK group geared Sk with a 2 pieces of rare loot at 106 I noticed that in OT a mage pet seemed to take less dmg than me, this is not using discs. Now I could tank ok, but I did find it interesting that the pet seemed to tank "better" than me from the point of view of incoming dmg, obviously when multiple mobs or with discs running its a different story or if like Drogba you have 20kAC and 240k health unbuffed but for a mere mortal group geared tank Pets seem to take more consistent dmg at least early on in the expansion.
    Now I am 110 and have all the def AAs and some RoS tier 1 gear tanking has improved a fair amount.
  11. Aurastrider Augur

Yep all 4 of my mages have this in their spell lineup for this reason. I think it is the only spell that is different from the spell lineup people suggested when I asked about mages in the class discussion section. The reason being the obvious I am running four mages vs most of the real mage players only running one.
  12. IblisTheMage Augur

You are real too!

Do you multibind or macro?
  13. Aurastrider Augur

I would not consider myself a mage since I have never mained one and my knowledge only goes as far as boxing with them. I tried to main one years ago but could not get into it but for boxing I feel there is no better class hence four of them although I do have a wizard and necro I swap out here and there.

I use the unmentioned boxing software. I don't like to use pauses with my spells but I have them in a macro form. Just spam my spell casting macro so my mages are burning as fast as possible while I am pulling and tanking with my sk. Same thing with my assist key for them which has more than assist on it. I like to utilize all five lines of a macro when ever possible to get the most out of it. I use to use pauses but I found that when a mob died if the macro had not finished there was a delay some times in the mages assisting on the new mob while they were still attempting to finish the casting macro. I have 3 different burns set up for them I try to rotate through. After reading the mage posts I realized I was wasting potential by saving them for named so now I just keep a burn up at all times trying to burn down mobs as fast as possible. Still tons of room for improvement though. I finally setup my gaming keyboard so I can swap characters with a button switch which will allow me to utilize more hotkeys on my mages outside of the 1 through = buttons though. Anyways probably way more info than you wanted to know its way past my bed time and I am rambling.
    IblisTheMage likes this.