Quality of Life wishes and dreams. What would you want?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Risiko, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Risiko Augur

Yes. Please. The whole hotbar text font thing really needs a make over. I am 44 years old, and my eye sight already makes it difficult to see the text on some of these hotbar buttons I make with the buttons at max size even.

I so agree on this one. I like to play lots of alts at various level ranges, and I hate that I can't go back on some of those alts and experience the raid content with out trying to find bunch of other players to come help me.

To me, the concept of mercenaries is to make it so that you can consume the content at your pace and on your schedule. With out being able to bring mercenaries in to raid zones, that eliminates being able to consume raid content at your pace and on your schedule. You have to then find many other like-minded players that are A) the level range you are playing, B) on the same expansion you are working on, and C) can, will, and want to raid when you have the time to do so.
    PCSS and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  2. Risiko Augur

I can't believe I didn't think of this one earlier because it is one of the things that irritates me greatly every time I make a new alt or play a character on a new computer.

I use the default UI, but I heavily modify it in game for each of my characters. This means that I have a lot of chat windows sized and placed in specific spots around the screen that mean something to me.

Each of those chat windows have very specific chat filters associated with them.

Every time I make a new character or play a character on a computer that I have not played on before, I have to setup the UI again. This is greatly helped by the use of the in-game copy layout, social, and hotbuttons feature.

The one thing that never gets copied in this process is... the chat filters.

That means I have to go through every single chat window, and setup the chat filters. It wouldn't be quite as bad except for the fact that every time you click on one of the chat filters, the filter context window goes away. That means you have to right click the chat window, navigate to filters, navigate to spells/melee/etc for each and every single filter you want in that chat window. And, yes. I split out different spell and melee filters to different chat windows, so I can't just use the ALL for melee or spells. (Example: Melee me hitting, Melee me missing, Melee me getting hit, and Melee me getting missed goes in one chat window. Melee others getting hit and Melee others missing goes in a seperate chat window.)

This takes a considerable amount of time to setup each time, and I am an alt-aholic with many computers in my home, so I go through this process a lot.

Could we please get the chat filters copied with the Copy Layout feature?
  3. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Theoretically, you should be able to locate the setup file where the chat filters are stored, and either copy that file to the new char, or, if there are other char-specific items in that file, then copy/paste the filter portion of the file in an editor.
    PCSS likes this.
  4. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Not entirely true. They don't have to be same level, expansion, or want to do the raid. They just have to be willing to be in a group with you while you do the raid.

I did an Ashengate raid last night for a friend who wanted something from it. We were only 4. Two of us logged in different chars, added them to group, and then logged in the char who would raid. So we were able to raid with 4, even though 6 were required to get the raid. And we didn't even need anybody outside those of us who were raiding.

Now, agreed, if you actually needed the help to complete the raid content, then it would be nice if they allowed mercs on the raid. Can't say I see them changing that any time soon.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  5. Brohg Augur

in-line reporting of damage with the damage source.

worn-off messages for priest Alliance buffs
  6. Sissruukk Rogue One

-all female toons should be dwarven women with beards.
  7. Risiko Augur

I am saying that I would like to have the merc healers (as I typically do not play healer classes) there to heal me in the raid. Also, while someone can join my raid that is well above the intended level range of the raid content, I'm not looking to be carried through raid content by higher levels. I want at least a little challenge.

Either way, it's not a huge thing. It's just something that would be nice.
    PCSS likes this.
  8. Tatanka Joe Schmo

That may be true, but if the raid was tuned for 54 players at appropriate level, then with only a handful of players taking it on, you'll need to be outleveling/overpowering the raid, or it will be a very big challenge ;)
    PCSS likes this.
  9. Risiko Augur

Another couple big time QoL wishes/dreams I have (that will likely never happen lol)...

Built-in (not 3rd party software/sites):
    • DPS meter (like gamparse, but built in to EQ itself)
    • Guild DKP system
    I've never understood why something used by so many guilds for so many years has never been actually programmed in to the game itself.

I am not saying it would not be a big undertaking to do, but in reality it should be easier to program it IN everquest where you have actual access to the raid data than it is to use log files and an external program and website to do it.

As far as "it wouldn't be what everybody wants", make it configurable. I'm sure a half dozen flags configurable settings would probably cover the majority of what people would want. I mean is it that hard to put in a setting for "DKP degrade"?

Then add some DKP features to the auto-loot system, and bam... fully integrated DKP system. It would be the first MMORPG to have it built in.
    PCSS and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  10. Risiko Augur

Very true.
  11. moogs Augur

Can you please convince my guild to use the auto loot system? They're very old people and they don't learn new things. Distributing loot takes ages.
    Risiko likes this.
  12. Sissruukk Rogue One

GET OFF MY LAWN!
    PCSS likes this.
  13. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Good call sir.

While we’re at it all male Barbarian toons should be granted (and made to use) a race or gender change potion, and that unholy abomination of a race/gender combo should be disabled at char select.
    Sissruukk likes this.
  14. Ngreth Thergn Developer

Curious about this one. So... you want every outdoor zone to be surrounded by cliff faces? Stone Walls?
    EQ is a "flat earth" and each zone has an end. Go high enough and you just see into space and the edge of the zone is a dropoff.
    In "breaking immersion" "arbitrary" invisible walls at steep hills break it less than seeing that the next step will drop you into a void if we were to put the invisible wall at the outer edge of the zone. And every zone in the game being in a "cliff" valley feels just about as bad to me.

Every time we propose this we get extreme cries of ruining the game, purposefully destroying raid guilds, and that they will all quit since we are ruining everything.
    See the previous comment.
    With additional "How dare you tell me how to distribute loot to my guild" (even though it would be optional to use)
    Seriously.

There are good suggestions, a few bad ones, many massive year (or years) long projects that from the surface seem simple but really aren't, in this thread. I don't have time to comment on them all, so I only pulled out these few. Please don't let my comments above stop the suggestions :)
    PCSS, Mintalie, Atlans and 12 others like this.
  15. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

In fairness though, don’t you guys pretty much get this same type of reaction any time you change...well, anything at all?

As a player base, we have this terrible mix of millennial entitlement to go along with know-it-all neckbearding of an 18 year old game with a good sized dose of curmudgeonly like “back in my day” sentiment.

I can only imagine how fun that must be to deal with :(
  16. Angahran Augur

When the zone lines follow (roughly) the lines of the hills along the zone edge, or whatever, that is fine. it's simply like the hill you are walking along is just too steep for you to climb up.
    It's when the invisible wall sticks into the zone for no apparent reason, e.g. when the invisible wall is at 90 degrees to the edge of the zone.

As I said before, a perfect example of this is in Scorched woods, when you zone in from Lceanium, there is a small building right there. But you cannot enter it because there is an invisible wall.
    PCSS likes this.
  17. Frogmancer Augur

Nah. Next week, the four of us are gonna go take down the dragon in Lceanium, Tatanka. Beefsticks and Nesalie will have fun with the tank toss.
    PCSS likes this.
  18. Huna Journeyman

Maybe its time Daybreak puts out a poll for 30 days to get community feedback on raid sizes? Just a though.
    PCSS likes this.
  19. Koryu Professional Roadkill

I understand that this doesn't make sense in many cases. You have to use an invisible wall for places like Southern Karana's eastern wall, or the ocean boundaries in Overthere. There isn't a convenient excuse for why you cannot access that area, it's a game limitation that nothing designed exists in that direction and you have to keep people out.

The places that don't make sense are the ones where you're already using steep geometry walls, and you aren't allowing player access to areas that do exist. In Skyfire, the boundaries are mountains with plenty of room to climb which could help with traversing a dangerous zone, but in many cases you cannot even get started. I just ran my Rogue around the entire border, and the zone wall is set too low in every location with one exception that seems to be a bug (a hole in the zone wall at about +2040, +4630, the furthest west you can go). There are several places where you can still be on even ground and the zone wall will not allow you to walk on the flat area or even make contact with the geometry wall. There are places with volcanic pillars that look like you should be able to climb around behind them, but you are instead forced to travel inward and discover the hard way whether mobs are on the other side. It feels like the zone wall was placed where it was with the intent to prevent any climbing whatsoever, resulting in a zone that has no safe areas at all. The low zone wall forces you to run nearer to mobs, and Skyfire has many that see invis or that will try to blast you out of invis even if they cannot see you. As for places that are well within the zone wall's boundaries... The giant dragon skulls placed at some of the magma river mouths are surrounded by an invisible box so that you cannot climb on them, despite the Crestra earring quest specifically telling you to go investigate them.

Skyfire is the example given, but the same problem exists with The Overthere's zone walls. We're trying to raise the point now in hope that this isn't a continuing trend.

In an open world adventuring MMO, it is frustrating as a player to see places that I cannot explore or make use of, even if they are clearly within the geometry boundaries of the zone. I would invite you to run around and experience the frustration for yourself, but you're a busy Ogre.
    Nniki likes this.
  20. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

The south wall of Scorched Woods in EoK is a good example. Somebody already mentioned the hut by the Lceanium zone line, but there are other points like over by the zone line to FM where the invisible zone line is pretty far away from the wall. I think there is more on the west end by the bees.

One thing that always cracks me up is the trees by the invisible zone line. They are always near it, enough so that it looks like you can squeeze by them, but you never can. I fall for it every time. This isn't a problem, except that my sub-conscious won't accept it. So every time I run by one I try to go on the zone line side and get stopped, and then have to go around it. The one on the North wall of Lceanium on the way to the Wizard spires is an example.