Hortulanus Cryolex in Overthere

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Yinla, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

Ya I find it hard to believe that many people got banned when they "had no idea this was happening" since they've stated they only banned the people who did it multiple times. If you were in a group and did the same mission multiple times with out being locked out, how could you not know what was being done. Honestly I'm surprised they did the suspensions as I stated before I doubted they would, but I'm guessing it was easier then trying to remove the VP keys/loot from the offenders.
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  2. Pyment New Member

It's been about 3 weeks now so I can't remember offhand, but anything I did get I would've gotten the very next day. To a raid geared character, the only two things of consequence are the vp key and currency that NEVER dropped while flipping the instance. I've since seen enough vp keys rot while not even trying to get them that I could've redone the quest a few times now.
  3. Pyment New Member

And that's the thing, Daybreak can't prove who fully geared out all their alts with "end game" group gear, and who just did it a bunch of times, and had a bunch of loot rot, while getting just a couple VP keys for the entire group. There's a huge difference what was actually gained. In the case of the latter, how is it any different than illusioning through doors instead of spending days coordinating with rogues to pick some random lock?

And then we've had raids get exploited for years with nothing done to players. Triality got caught flipping current raid content years back and was unsuspended as fast as they got suspended. People had 300+ day raid lockouts on Rallos Returns in SoD from chain farming it.
  4. Elricvonclief Augur

Instead of banning accounts like they used to, they're only giving suspensions for exploiting the game.

I do not understand those whining about getting caught, when the old rule was banning the account.
  5. clohie1234 New Member

The "old rule" didn't really apply to worse things than this, read the post literally before you posted.
  6. clohie1234 New Member

Horrible analogy. If my kids walked around dropping F bombs for 5 years (it does go back that far), then one day, i decided to slap them - they'd look at me like i was a fool.
  7. Barda Lorekeeper

It's not that most of the people who got "caught" were idiots and thought "Hey, we want to stick it to the MAN, and get what we can." It is about a mechanic that has been used in this manner before. In fact this mechanic is STILL in the game, and CAN still be used right now. My point is, and will remain. If the cactus event is/was a suspend-able exploit. Every person who did this on every mission it could happen in game should be suspended as well. The exploit is wrong no matter how fast the turn around time for completion is.
    Axxius likes this.
  8. Axxius Augur

They totally should check the other missions for the same thing. Opening the chest in Gorowyn/Skyfire/VP after dropping the task should be treated no different than doing it at the Cactus. They have the server side logs, they can find it. I guess it wasn't just as widespread as the Cactus since all those other missions require a non-trivial amount of time to complete. They dealt with that one first. And tomorrow's patch will fix the exploit for all missions. But it doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't going to punish those who exploited the other missions. Maybe they just didn't get to that yet.
  9. clohie1234 New Member

QFT.

The suspension is fine, it's whatever. It's more of a slap in the face that DBG wants to take the high road and pretend this wasn't going on for years and not own up to it like illusioning through doors, or some of the other well known bugs in the game.

It's fine if you want to announce it to the community that it's been fixed, and anyone caught doing this going forward will be suspended. To just outright suspend people for a bug that's been in the game for half a decade is just an organization that has zero backbone, afraid to take any blame at all.
  10. clohie1234 New Member

11. Melonkhali New Member

What game have you been playing lol? Jesus christ, I can recall a ton of REAL douchey exploits over the years that received 0 reprimand from CS, half a dozen current content raids that were solo/groupable that more than a few people farmed into netherhell, methods of mass xping that clearly circumvented intended gameplay. And while I'll agree those instances absolutely should have resulted in lengthy suspensions (Never a ban for anything that doesn't constitute malicious intent/causes detriment to others imo), I don't understand how any of you think that this this was warranted when multitudes of people have pointed out it exists, and the CS team has given 0 cares about it for over what, 6, 7 years, but you feel it should warrant 3 week suspensions out of NOWHERE? Why?? Because you didn't get to do it? Because you're not capable of bridging the gap between people who are willing to do things out of the box to garner more from their playing time? Why? This isn't something that will result in 0% player loss, we're going to lose players, probably only a few here and there, but in what world can EQ afford to be alienating it's player base? This game attracts no new players and isn't exactly kind to the ones that attempt to return to it. The only marketing this game receives is from it's own damn players ffs, yet there's actually people in here who are taking joy in this? This totalitarian, incompetent excuse for a gaming company pleases you? As a lifer, I'm appalled, I hope all of your suspended Guildmates blacklist you sanctimonious pricks henceforth

How long ago was it they blanket banned a ton of people because they bought Duped Kronos? the CS team is indefensible at this point, they lack not only perspective and basic intelligence, but anything resembling genuine knowledge of game mechanics.
    cailien likes this.
  12. Zhaunil_AB Augur

So? That makes exploiting ok for you?

Not by me or anyone i know (they are all still around, so i guess that proves that).

Even when something is "known" it doesn't mean it's always actively taken into account as well. We're all human (yes even the Dwarves strangely).

Yep and rightly so, because circumventing game mechincs to get an "unfair advantage over others" is considered an exploit and it fits.

But of course it isn't.
    They have released an event that was "optimal" for exploiting.
    "ingenious" players found a (to them) known exploit to be applicable and apparently used it to their advantage, despite that they should have known better.
    So we have a bug and opening to exploiting (one could even call it a honeypot lol) on one side.
    And the exploiting (and sticky fingers from reaching into the honeypot) on the other.
    WE can only "punish" them for bugs by now buying stuff, otherwise we have to live/cope with them.
    THEY can punish exploits with suspensions and bans.
    Everyone does what he can and must i guess.
    But bug/opening on one side, exploit from the player-side it is still - no euphemism there.
  13. Zhaunil_AB Augur

How is a suspension, i.e. a "temporary ban" out of proportion?
    They can continue to play afterwards but now KNOW that what they did is not acceptable.
    Like a child being slapped on the fingers for reaching where it shouldn't.
    I can't see how this is "bad for player-retention", except that now we of course have a lot of crying children with hurting fingers (and "pride" ) from being caught.

Now they might have to live with other people on their server laughing at them whom THEY laughed at for "still" not having all their Rk2 spells or VP key or whatever after only 2days. Bragging rights have been taken away, proven to having been based on cheating...
    That's all.

And what would you have done instead to enforce your rules?
    Tax fraud, tax evasion and fraud in the so-called financial market in general are only rampant because the perpetrators still get away with a win after paying their charges when being caught, hence why we have to continue to deal with it - similar thing imo.
    Take the "win" away, you stop the problem. Simple in theory, hard to put into practice.
  14. Kobrah Augur

There's been mission and event lockout timers since instancing was implemented in what PoP? If you're looting chests for finishing an event and not getting the lockout, either the mission is broken or you're doing something to circumvent it which is what it sounds like everyone suspended was doing because I know each time I killed the cactus and opened the box I had to wait 6 hours to do it again. Someone call a whaaaaambulance for the busted people lol.
  15. gubman New Member

Ldon for real instances =)

I ended readin most of this thread (damn) and lol so much hypocrisy. We all know some guys ended totally abusing the system and industrially farmed VP meds and spells they resell for pp/kronos etc.
    Those guy screw the rest of us everytime and yet find spot in (top) guilds without problems, maybe stop beeing angry at DB for trying to fix issues (even if yes they sux at it) and stop accepting such behavior from guild members instead. All csp look at is scale of exploiting, no one care if thousand guys get 1 extra spell from a mission or bypass 1 old VT door with illusion while goofing around, they care when some start to overabuse it and unbalance the game using old tiny exploits turning them into real problems.
    One day enough may realise those guys are bad for the game to not accept playing with them anymore but i guess moaning at DB is so much easier to live with.
  16. clohie1234 New Member

1. I just came back end of about a month before RoS released, multiple people were doing this and told me it's been around for about 6 years, saw them doing it non stop. Made it an easy way to catch back up with the game and play again, w/ever, I'll take the suspension, but it definitely doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth after only just returning, I'll never drop another dime into the dbg pocket. Funny note, that group of guys didn't touch this mission but have been doing it for years, not suspended.

2. No, it doesn't make it okay. The punishment I disagree with, read 3.

3. It WAS known by CSR through multiple petitions for YEARS. I know of other mission that is SEVERELY bugged, and the best response I've gotten is "we'll look into it", yet it's been a few years and petitions continue to be submitted for it, for guidance to see if it's "as intended" or considered an exploit, cause honest to god I don't know, nor does my buddy. I really don't have to worry about that anymore though lol.

4. I disagree, there was no unfair advantage gained from getting group content, it was an instanced zone and anyone doing the mission did not take away from others, or effect the outcome of their daily tasks or ability to do the task. DGB taking down the NPC instead of putting out an announcement saying it will be fixed, items removed and suspensions for anyone who is caught doing it post XYZ date, was their choice.

Honeypot might be the best analogy I've read on this topic yet! Nice.
    kizant likes this.
  17. Elricvonclief Augur

Wow, welcome to all the new folks playing Everquest, from the names in this thread! :D

On a serious note, I wonder how many folks in raiding guilds got caught cheating? :cool:

I think this will make the race interesting, eh? :p
    Schadenfreude likes this.
  18. Schadenfreude Augur

Three weeks is a long time to miss out on keys when you're lockout chasing. ;)
  19. Deillusional Augur

The issue here is if people have been unfairly suspended, on false positives etc, they wont even act on their petition, until the supension is over anyhow...
  20. Intenso Augur

WE JUST DID GOROWYN MISSION OPEN CHEST AND NO LOCKOUT OR CURRENCY WE ONLY DO IT FOR CURRENCY WE GET BANNED IF WE REDO IT ?