Customer Service Clarification Requested: What Constitutes an Exploit?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by gotwar, Jan 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nennius Curmudgeon

And so I would agree with the OP. Some clarification would be helpful.
  2. Scorrpio Augur

Frankly, multi-questing always made sense to me. EQ is a social game and if your friend is in a position to snag a rare epic drop for you, would it not be a shame to have it rot? Besides, even with original epics, there was the 'combine in a bag' method that made multiquesting impossible. Pretty much all of chanter epic was that way.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  3. Brohg Augur

This is a less complex issue than it's being made out to be. Somewhere, if you really drill down super hard and use every single example, maybe is some fine line. Okay/not-okay, based on killing this one mob out of 40 in this or that mission and doing some task step but not another? Sure. But no one has to care about that. All that has to be known is that:

there is a line. That some things are okay, and some aren't.

Getting full loot and no lockouts up to 15 times/hour (more? maybe the pros were using additional bots to request it outside!) from the Hero of the NewestZone mission is clearly far, far across the line wherever it's drawn. No one thought this was remotely okay. Any claims to the contrary are a ridiculous canard. Not even red herrings: deliberately obfuscating falsehoods.
    Gialana, Chelsith and Tarvas like this.
  4. gotwar Gotcharms

I know people who were suspended for not opening any chests and simply dropping the task to try and figure out the "Brown Thumb" achievement on the OT mission, so clearly the questions in the OP are relevant.

I also know people who were suspended for doing this once, not "multiple times" as has been the stated bar for suspensions.

That kinda highlights the underlying point here; that there is no rhyme or reason to the way suspensions were handed out here because nobody there knows where "the line" is.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  5. Donutsz12 Elder

Can't you people use common sense on this?

It's one thing to bypass doors by standing next to it and camping and logging back in and your on the other side. This was an exploit to get loot.... some raid loot might add. If you have to cheat to get your loot... then you should get banned.

You kill a mob and it respawns instantly... is that an exploit? no. Some would say it is but you're not getting any other benefit from it besides killing it over and over for EXP. You are still fighting the mob, casting spells, using disc as if you were fighting the mission.

I've seen it over the years and people bypass so many things to get loot. Shroud down to lower level to zone into raid zones to kill a mob at a lower level and still get higher level raid loot? hmm Loot again which makes it a suspention or bannable offense.

Kronos Exploit.... We have all seen it before in the past. That is money out of DBG pocket when there is an exploit for that. Raid loot is no different because your flooding the game with loot that should have not been there in the first place because your doing a mission over and over.
  6. Aurastrider Augur

My guess is this is something they can see on a database side. They can look at a log for this specific mission and see what characters completed it vs characters those that requested and dropped the task several times leading to a suspicion that they were just taking the loot. In the case of the unmentioned boxing software its a great tool when people use it within the EULA. It is far more difficult to search random logs or even explore the world looking for people running scripts I imagine. The amount of time that would have to be spent going from zone to zone and then monitoring each players actions would require a significant amount of resources even if they had a GM toon that could port directly to every zone reducing on travel time. I imagine they could develop something that sends out a red flag when a toon is logged in for xx amount of hours and then monitor to see if they are running a script or just parked afk in POK or GL but even then the cheaters would just script in some auto log out and back in I imagine to bypass this.
  7. Intenso Augur

They did come out and say they would take action on ppl afk with merc or pets farming anything
  8. Donutsz12 Elder

Very much incorrect on this. Are you going to tell me you have never afk in a zone? You would be flagged because you were online for 8 hours because you left your eq session on and you fell asleep. People do that every day
  9. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

They will not define exploits other than how they already have. It is vague on purpose. Spitting into the wind with this thread.
  10. Axxius Augur

Have those people contact CS then. Otherwise you might just know the people who lie to you about what they actually did. ;)
    Brohg and Chelsith like this.
  11. Aurastrider Augur

I think you need to read my comment again and maybe it will make sense. I am saying they could add a feature on their end that would alert them if someone has been online for xx hours. Obviously the xx part they would have to adjust and 8 hours would be way to short. Maybe >24 hours. Either way if someone gets a red flag on their end they could look at that persons logs to see if they are just standing around in a static zone or in a combat zone. From there they could investigate further. Obviously if you are not cheating you will never even know they investigated you. Heck I am sure they could add a further filter to eliminate static zones from the timer all together. Getting flagged on their end does not mean any action is taken against you it just means you are someone they might consider investigating. If you are not cheating you would have nothing to worry about.
  12. gotwar Gotcharms

Read this carefully:

There is nothing in that post about bypassing the lockout timer for Fell Foilage to get loot. It states that bypassing the lockout timer is the exploit, implying that any of the activities I listed in my OP are potential grounds for a suspension.
    scapegoat likes this.
  13. Donutsz12 Elder

They have every right to do whatever they want. If you missed it.

26.2. Termination. Your only remedy with respect to any dissatisfaction with any Daybreak Game(s) is to terminate your account. You may terminate any Daybreak Game subscription at any time, however, any subscription time already purchased will remain on your account until the end of your then-current billing cycle and will be nonrefundable. Daybreak reserves the right to suspend, restrict or terminate your access to or use of any Daybreak Game(s), at any time and for any reason, in its sole and absolute discretion. Upon any such termination, your right to use the Daybreak Games will immediately cease. You agree that any suspension, restriction or termination of your access to or use of any Daybreak Game(s) may be effected without prior notice and that we may immediately deactivate or delete any username and/or password used by or provided to you, and all access to your game accounts. You agree that we will not be liable to you or any third party for any suspension, restriction or termination of your access to any Daybreak Game(s) and we will not be required to make any of the Daybreak Game Assets associated with your account available to you after any such termination, suspension or restriction. All licenses that you grant under the Daybreak Terms of Services along with the terms and conditions of the following Sections shall survive the expiration or earlier termination of the Daybreak Terms of Service: Sections 9, 12, 16, 22, 23 and 26.
  14. Chelsith New Member

The OP is an Internet Lawyer thinking that DBG are going to say "oh he's got us with his mastery of these gray areas which have literally never happened, we'd better unsuspend all the cheaters." Sorry folks, you get to be mad online for another 19 days. Keep the posts coming!
    Elricvonclief and Tarvas like this.
  15. gotwar Gotcharms

I never said they didn't. This thread has nothing to do with whatever you just posted.

I'm not suspended, these aren't grey areas, and they happen all the time for people who actually play the game, but thanks for contributing!
    Jhenna_BB and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  16. Laronk Augur

Yeah none of these are exploits unless you find a way to shroud to 65 to make a mission easy then change back to 105 and get a 105 chest then it'd probably be an exploit but if you just shroud to complete a mission then it's normal game mechanics.

Really you guys are splitting hairs here, Gimping people into raids? Thats a mechanic that was specifically added to the game if you're worried that its an exploit then I don't know what to say.
    Chelsith likes this.
  17. Chelsith New Member

How many of your guildmates are suspended? Round to the nearest 10 if you like.

Are you cowering in the attic in case they come and suspend you for dropping a TBM mission before hailing the questgiver?
  18. Sancus Augur

I'm glad to see that in these troubling and inconsistent times, forum quest continues to be consistently troll-ridden and idiotic to the point it drowns out any reasonable conversation!

I was worried for a bit when this thread only had reasonable replies, but we quickly corrected that. Go team!
  19. Chelsith New Member

It seems pretty consistent to me - a bunch of people exploited a mechanic that was pretty obviously more severe than literally every counterexample in the epistle provided by the OP. They were clearly playing with fire and the removal of the quest NPC and immediate labeling of its mechanic as an exploit in the MOTD should have pre-empted any of these "reasonable replies", which boil down in 100% of cases to "I cheated or my guildmates cheated and I don't think there should be any consequences."

If you're the kind of person who thinks "simply existing as a bard" is the kind of thing that requires clarification then you're not in any way a judge of what's reasonable.
  20. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Dude. I'm putting this in my sig! I know it's early, but post of the year!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.