Hortulanus Cryolex in Overthere

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Yinla, Dec 23, 2017.

1. kizant Augur

The tricky part is we don't really know the actual exploit. Dropping a task early still works in plenty of other missions including the others in RoS. Getting all achievements early or some extra vp key pieces is one thing. But was there something else going on? They probably couldn't tell the difference between a more serious exploit and a minor one that's been common for ages.
  2. Faelyn New Member

3. Elricvonclief Augur

How long have you been playing this game, "Faelyn?"

I notice you are a new member, are you one of those affected by this suspension?
    feeltheburn likes this.
  4. Faelyn New Member

I am, what's your point?

I suppose you're going to claim the Moral high ground and proclaim your high and mighty and better than everyone who booted themselves from any task ever before they got a lockout, even if they did it just a few times? I'm sure there are some players even in RoV that will be suspended for doing this, I'd love to hear your opinion of them.

Get a clue and save me from having to read your predictable reply.
  5. Elricvonclief Augur

Nah man, I'm not gonna preach.

Rather I'd like to see you back in game and playing (after the time out).

Nothing more, nothing less.
  6. kizant Augur

I don't know why quoting is broken lol. But yeah sure, avoiding the intended lockout, is the generic reason. I'm just saying that there must be more to it this time. Considering that it's still possible to do the same exploit in other missions. I think 'avoiding the intended lockout' is just a catch all reason some dev was asked to give to the CS people. When they were probably concerned about something more specific and more serious with the Cactus mission.
  7. skabe Elder

Elric's momma taught him the same thing my momma taught me ... People who live in glass houses, should not throw stones. LoL

Yes it is a known loophole. Been around for years and pretty much been ignored for years. There is an element of implied permission because nothing has been done about it in the past or present for that matter. CSR rep's decided to draw a line in the sand and do something about it finally. Not saying it was handled correctly or fairly or justly, just that they finally chose not to ignore the loophole and to mete out punishment to those that abused it.
    Hell at one point I was even hoping to put together a group to knock out VP keys expediently for all in group via this loophole, never happened, but the thought crossed my mind. Shared the idea with some folks who acted on the idea and they are now banned for a time.
    Turning a blind eye to something doesn't imply permission or make it ok. Just means you are choosing to ignore it until you no longer do. I'll admit that I interpreted it as one of those grey area things in EQ that was going to go on being ignored as it has been for many years.
    Before you jump up on your high horse and take ownership of the moral high ground remember momma's lesson .....
  8. clohie1234 New Member

The Correct response to this, since it's been around for so long and was viewed as a gray area, was petitioned as far back as RoF, is DGB coming out and saying "Look, this has been around for awhile, and with the way RoS missions are done, it's no longer something we will turn a blind eye to. Anyone caught doing this after my post, will be suspended" Then patched it on the next patch, suspended those who were warned and continued.

When people are petitioning the bug for half a decade and it's not fixed, you may as well make it a feature.
    Sindaiann likes this.
  9. Elricvonclief Augur

Skabe, why would you try to justify an exploit?

As for myself, I'd not do that, ask those who know me.

And THAT is the problem folks, people think OTHERS will do what they will themselves do.
  10. Vdidar Augur

i'm not suspended and didnt exploit but if you dont want people exploiting code better, that burden is on DBG not the players. Its amazing they have a company left to run.
  11. skabe Elder

Not trying to justify anything Elric just admitting to the fact that people are human, including me.

The fact that this loophole has been around for almost as long as instanced zones have been in the game and used/abused/exploited in many different ways without repercussions could be interpreted as implied permission to do so.
    I'm not going to claim the moral high ground on this because I accept the fact that it is basic human nature to take the simplest, easiest, cheapest route to achieve a goal or acquire a desired item. I'm just as guilty of it as anyone who got banned. Before you take that moral high ground ever fudged your taxes or shopped at Wal Mart or any other discount store instead of paying a little more for an item that was made in America ?
    All I am trying to say is I see both sides of the argument and two "wrongs" have never made a "right". I'm not going to condemn either side in this. I am however going to wish that it is all quickly put in the rear view and people move on and enjoy the game as best as they can.
  12. kizant Augur

Not only did it exist in other missions they have fixes for it in certain ones. For example, the anniversary missions for stones of power locks the chest if you leave the task. What year was that added again? Do they think some missions warrant that level of restriction and some don't? Are they trying to trap people now?Are they just incompetent?
  13. Elricvonclief Augur

Skabe, I try to be a polite guy and perhaps I came across a bit harsh.. I blame Uncle Sam:cool:

I just know I play old school , and get frustrated if I hear someone got it easy.

Does that make sense?
  14. Cleaver Augur

Guarantee you its a result of different devs creating different missions. Even some of the EOK Missions lock when the chest spawns or named dies. If you go back and see who created the missions that let you drop task and still open the chest you will find out it was most likely one or two devs who made all of these missions that allow it to be exploited.

That or the current dev team is just copy/pasting the script from the original mission that allowed this.
    kizant likes this.
  15. skabe Elder

All the sense in the world bro.

And I apologize if my comments came across as being aimed directly at you. They were but they weren't. They were aimed at anyone who is quick to condemn those that have been banned. And to show a little moral support for those that have been banned.
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  16. Kiras Augur

For arguments sake, let's say that DBG decides to narrowly apply all of the rules tomorrow. Some of them haven't been enforced for years or ever, but let's start doing it now.

EULA rule "4: You may not violate any local, state, national or international law or regulation."
    Okay, let's ban everyone who has a speeding ticket on their record.

1.1.5 "Implying Favoritism by Game Masters - Stating that employees of Daybreak Game Company LLC or members of the Guide program will show favor towards one or more parties involved in any given situation. This includes, but is not limited to, using threats of retribution or inferring that you will not be held accountable for your actions due to special consideration."
    I think that a guide or GM might show favor towards people who they are guildmates of as alter egos. Omg, I just possibly violated the EULA. (well, technically I didn't state they will show favor, just that they might)

"11. You will not attempt to interfere with, hack into, or decipher any transmissions to or from the servers running EverQuest." That seems pretty clearly aimed at obvious cheat programs according to common sense (and I cheer every time someone who uses a hack program gets banned). But it doesn't say that I can look into transmissions after they're done transmitting. I opened my log file with Notepad recently. Gasp.

Ridiculous but still probably technically correct examples aside - There's a difference between rules that exist and can be applied, and rules that exist and should be applied. I think these suspensions fall in the "can" not "should" area, considering the lack of enforcement for years and lack of any significant harm to other players by those exploiting the lockouts. Fix it going forward, absolutely, but don't suspend a large chunk of players. We may not get some of them back, and it's not good for the health of the game to lose paying customers when they aren't an easily replaceable resource.

Fun fact: There was a woman in the UK convicted for witchcraft in 1944. The law was still on the books, it just hadn't been used in years. Clearly she deserved what she got though, right?
  17. Leigo You come here often?

While I'm not aware of the GM's, Guides are not permitted to guide on any server they play on. Some special events by dbg can overrule this, but that is an extremely rare occurrence.
    I know you were going to the extreme to prove a point. But just wanted to clarify on that rule. :)
  18. Rulah New Member

One of the worst part is that this has affected innocent players. Like myself. I tried to logg on my main today it was suspended due to "Exploiting "Fell Foliage" to avoid the intended lockout." And I never exploited this mission. So far im getting no respons I have most logg file saved the past month. And all the players ive done the mission with is not suspended. Ok, if I would have exploited this I think its a small punishment 7 days suspensions. But im innocent and I know it! And by the time gm will look into my case the suspension will be over. 2-4 days before respons, then some action and 7 days are gone. Yeah I can go on and whine like other do, I buy the collector edition expansion. I beta test, I pay for multi accounts and expansion for thoose. And in return I get a broken game. But its me beeing stupid to conteniue this game.
  19. Scornfire The Nimbus Prince

Come on guys, I can pretty well guarantee that if you've spent any significant time playing EQ, that there isn't a single one of any of you laughie-loos who hasn't exploited a game mechanic, intentionally or otherwise, they're pretty bloody prevalent

This has been in the game since as early as HoT, perhaps even UF per my recollections, as well as far more serious/laughable "exploits" that never seemed to warrant any suspensions. I've been playing this game since I was 10 years old, literally grew up playing EQ. And for the first time in all my years, I feel the need to explicitly call out the people running the show. You're ruining the game, you're running my friends away, no more no less. This is such a cartoonish overreaction it actually makes me physically angry. For years you've ignored things that actually hurt the community, I can't even think of a single time in the dozens of instances I've reported people hacking that they were ever reprimanded, but people go about their business farming some spells in a private instance that takes nothing away from the rest of the server, something that's occurred for longer than most of the CS team has probably been employed, and it's Armageddon??? Here's the real rub, you guys can define ANYTHING to be an exploit, how the sam hell is anyone supposed to know that this was an exploit when we've spent YEARS telling you about it and you did not a bloody thing. Your historied silence on the matter was nothing short of acquiescence, you don't get to now just say "Oh, you know what, ya, you guys were right, that shouldn't be possible and YOU ALL SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER ARGLEBARGLEARRRR". The treatment of your customers is beyond appalling

I have to seriously ask, does DBG want the game to just die out? It's felt like it for a while, but this is just too in your face to not speak up. If you guys are done with the game sell it to someone who cares. I miss all my old friends that refuse to come back to this mess, and I'll miss all my new ones whom I've probably seen the last of if this isn't remedied fast. I apologize for the tone, but it's been very disheartening to observe the game I love being handled so poorly.

Sincerely,
    Nathan
  20. Deillusional Augur

If you have suspended people for be seriously exploiting the mission then thats fair enough. I think most people would say "ok i did wrong, and I will take the punishment". But if you have supsended people on a false positives. Or if they redid the mission without realising they had no lockout and did it before the lockout timer up again, then that is plain stupid. I would seriously consider reversing all the suspensions if you have had the chance of any false positives, or your detection is not 100% accurate. And going from this thread I don't think it is.

I myself have not been suspended and understand peoples frustrations if they have been supsended for knowningly, unknowningly, or being suspended on a false positive.