Weapons and armor question

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Elfarknon, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Elfarknon New Member

Hi I have a level 42 sk. I've looked into starting the epic quest and need to get the darkforge armor items. So I'm doing this and get the helmet so far but I'm noticing even the epic blade I will get eventually seems weak when I look at the stats.whats the point of these quests at all if the defiant armor and weapons are stronger every ten levels you go up? Am I missing the big picture or something. I'm confused and discouraged to do quests when I keep getting ridiculous crap rewards for doing them. I'm having trouble understanding. Not to mention all the armor looks the same besides the color. What's up with that?.. plz help the noob and give me some hope here plz. Happy New Year btw ty
    Cazmac likes this.
  2. roth Augur

Defiant gear was made well after all those other lower level quests. And yes, it does render all the gear from those lower level quests obsolete.

The piece of the puzzle you were missing is that of timing. Back in the day, before Defiant, it was worth doing teh quests to get the gear, at lest to a point. That point was later eliminated with the introduction of Defiant gear, though if you are not getting good enough gear as drops you may find that some of the quests can fill in a weaker slot, without costing you anything in the bazaar.

I don’t know about SK 1.0 ... that’d be the first SK epic .. but the 1.5/2.0 is WELL worth doing, once you reach a high enough level. You may not be equipping it (or at least, not for very long) but you’ll use and abuse the click on it like crazy.
    Cazmac likes this.
  3. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Yep, pretty much.

Epics were created in 2000. Defiant came out way after that, to make equipping as you level easier, with fewer people to group with.

Epic quests now, for most classes, are only worth doing if you're a completionist, or just want to do it for a change of pace.
  4. Elfarknon New Member

Ok ty good to know. Two more little things... defiant gear is also on the time lock servers too I'm assuming? And as far as the epic goes, to do them do you still have to meet the item requirements to trigger the quest? Or since the quest gear is partly useless from having defiant did they change any of that? Like if I jus skip stuff will I screw myself later when I try to do a more useful epic? Ty again sorry I'm a bit confused I love the game jus kinda wish I was playing in Year 2000 lol I started a long time ago playing eq online adventures always wanted to play this, never had a computer if you could believe that. Is this still worth playing? I really love it and it seems they still support it even tho it's old. Or if you have any similar type awesome fantasy game that's right on par with this let me know!
  5. Scorrpio Augur

Not sure what expansion introduced defiant but any progression server that reached that expansion would have it. And yeah, defiant did obsolete pretty much anything before it, unless you can get your hands on level-unrestricted Temple of Veeshan drops.
    Also, epic 1 back in the day required a raid of lvl 60s for some steps. I remember taking part in final SK epic fight in City of Mist. Had a force of over 40 lvl 55+ folks, we wiped twice before finally winning.
    You may be able to do earlier parts, but soloing the later bits likely won't happen till you are 70+, unless you can persuade a high level player to help.

About armor looking same: yeah, it does that. Whether it is some basic no-stat fine steel or raid armor from last expansion, only look difference is color. To get alternate looks, you need to buy the Hero Forge on marketplace, and then you can use various ornaments.
  6. Malkavius Augur

Epics were created with the 2nd expansion. They were very"epic" for the time. Defiant came out a few years ago and is insanely stronger than most gear at lower levels. But there is absolutely no defiant gear on progression servers. Only gear that came out during whatever expansion the server is on. Even having gear that hasn't dropped in almost two decades that were removed from loot tables. But were put on mob loot tables to correspond with when they still dropped.

It sounds like you would enjoy a progression server far more than live. Agnarr is currently on it's third expansion and there are far more people to group with at all levels.
  7. moogs Augur

You can click items from inside your bags now instead of needing the items equipped. Epics for some classes are definitely still useful today. (SK 1.5/2.0 is one of them.)