When will the next Progressionserver start? :)

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Druidika, Dec 14, 2017.

1. snailish Augur

It's called "true box" not "no box".

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on a true no box server.

Current reasons include some places/people legitimately use the same IP address to play from on different machines, it was mage armies and not boxers they were addressing, there likely isn't enough $ in the effort to truly eliminate boxing (especially when you factor in boxer subs --even via Krono that is still a plus to Daybreak), etc.
  2. Nolrog Augur

When they first came up with this concept, they called it no box, and although DBG changed the way they called it early on, people still think they will not see boxes. As I said a long long time ago, anyone who expects no boxing at all will be sorely disappointed.

I know several husband/wife combos that play together and do not box. A true no-box server would prevent them from enjoying the game, and is really doesn't help in any way.
  3. Mwapo Augur

I hate to be "that guy." But if they really wanted to do it, they'd just pull the trigger. People that play together from the same house still have plenty of other servers to play on.

That said, I think its a horrible idea and people don't truly realize how important boxes are to a server. Sure, some people abuse it. But in the grand scheme, boxes do more good than harm.
  4. Machentoo Augur

Their very first announcement of Phinigel included a picture of an old boxer's setup with a bunch of computers, and used the term truebox. Maybe they discussed a no box server at some point, I don't ever remember seeing a DBG staff member post on that or mention it in any of the videos etc. But all the discussion, information etc related to the actual servers they released was always true box, never no box.
  5. Poydras Augur

I would like it. It would be a sort of hardcore ruleset by today's standards. And it would be nice to finally remove the choice of spending more money and hassle (i.e. by boxing) to easy-mode your way through the game. The game itself becomes easier and easier eventually anyway when you get out-of-combat regen and mercs. Hell they could slowly relax the boxing limits over time in a kind of hardware progression. I mean who actually ran so many computers way back in original EQ? Ebayers, of course. We can try a little harder to leave that aspect out when we re-live it.

As for horrible ideas that spell the death of TLP's, well they haven't been afraid to release ones with outright expiration dates stamped on them. So I'd say this idea is worth a shot too.
  6. Nolrog Augur

That would be incredibly stupid of them to do. Here's a new server to allow you to try and recreate some nostalgia, but you people that play together, well, sorry, no soup for you.
    Sendori likes this.
  7. Zinth Augur

true boxing is bad for the environment, just as online bazaaring were...

there is absolutely NO reason for not allowing us to run the boxes on ONE pc... and still remove the "insert program name here" users, instead we have to waste more money on pc hardware, more money on power usage (most places are not as cheap as the US).

the antipet + the anti "insert program name here" was plenty enough and the most boxers do more good then the bad ones do bad... My boxes have often helped other people since they needed help but my main might have had lockout or whatever.

those that think they will magically get groups if there is no boxes is delusional, maybe there is a reason they don't want to group with them... ever thought of that?

another reason for boxing, atleast for me, is that I play a LOT more then my friends, and having only one char means I couldn't do much and noone else is on when I am, so I have the choice of boxing and doing what I like, when I like and add in friends/or join friends, when they are on OR I could get bored, log off and play something else... Logged off you don't see if someone logs on and want to group, but being on and boxing doing something... then you see when your friends log on and you might hang out together.

I just wish they dropped the true box crap, it would give them 1 or 2 subs more from me, but I can't afford anymore new (used or old) pc's right now, but I could easilly run them all on the same pc and tab through them as I have always done on live... I know several others would do the same... but I also know several that only plays one and only wants to play one... and they don't have it harder then us boxers in finding groups, often time they join us boxers until we can fill spots with more friends.
    Chatoyan and Raltar like this.
  8. Mwapo Augur

Because they have never made any really dumb decisions before.

Like I said, I think it'd be a bad choice. But they absolutely could do it and people would go play on it.
  9. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Go play on LJ of RF both have no limits to how many one can box.
    Reason most of us left was because a 12 box was normal to see and annoying.

It's super rare now to even see a 3 or 4 box.
    I'll stick with true box if you want unlimited box you got 2 servers to play on.
  10. BearmanSW Elder

I'd personally love to see a server that doesn't use the truebox code but does have instances. I find the game so much more enjoyable when I can tote around my 4-box and actually do things on my own when my friends aren't online.

I also don't feel like doling out a couple hundred bucks for laptops and then rigging them together so I can "truebox"...that's stupid.

I feel like DBG doesn't want to go down this road because of botters, but if they could create this server while at the same time policing for <that botting software>, that would be perfect.
    Raltar and Zinth like this.
  11. Vanishin Lorekeeper

....no
  12. Machentoo Augur

The box armies were certainly out of hand, but I bet if they had opened a server with instanced raiding + no boxing restrictions, just as many people would have switched.
  13. Machentoo Augur

Why not? You don't have to play on it if you don't like the idea. Plenty of other servers for you.

I'd move to a box friendly, instanced raids server in a heartbeat.
    Zinth likes this.
  14. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Out of hand was an understatement.
    Hence the sudden policy shift towards instances + against the software boxer

Any server was better than those 2 period. Was like a refugee camp and everyone was waiting to leave for better pastures.
  15. Dailor Augur

Ya'll need to make some friends in game. The "I don't have anything to do when my friends aren't on" excuse is tired.
  16. crag79 Augur

I wouldn't mind a new server, my only wish is that Zerkers, Beastlords are open from the start.
    Thewiz and TLP Addict like this.
  17. BearmanSW Elder

....yes
  18. TLP Addict Augur

I like Truebox, I think it's a good compromise, the only downside to it is it creates a lot of terrible boxers that can just load up a second account on another laptop and do all with it, while leveling on Phinny and Agnarr I repeatedly encountered Tank + priest box combos that would just invite another priest or 2 to cover the fact that he was completely useless at playing a second char while tanking. So we'd end up with a 2 or 3 healer low dps group.

Ultimately If you want to play exclusively in a no box environment it's possible but requires effort. I see a whole lot of complaining on the forums or in game about "boxers" but few of them appear to be creating groups or guilds that are explicitly for single box players only.
  19. slayerofbats Augur

True box is a truly stupid concept, it amazes me a company like this whose livelihood relies on these games, could come up with such a weird and illogical idea. There isn't a single good argument for "True box". Servers should either be no boxing or box how you want like the regular servers. "True Box" does nothing to limit anything, it just gives an upper hand to people with more computers at home, work, etc, which benefits nobody.
    Zinth and Raltar like this.
  20. Hdizzle Augur

I’ve said this many many times. It is dumb. Instancing was all anyone was asking for before RF and Lj. “Let us vote on TLP instancing” Epic thread .

Ragefire with instancing would be the absolute most popular TLP ever. Not yet though..