Returning since 2001

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Streetdealer813, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Streetdealer813 New Member

First off well met.... I was thinking on becoming a druid since im solo and just beginning. Any tips on the class or even some links to becoming a great druid so i can maybe join a guils on caztiz. Prolly misspelled . i also woll be twitching nightly of my experience.. Twitch name is streetdealer813. See you soon
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

If you plan on doing any great amount of solo play, I'd recommend something other than druid.

Necro, mage, SK are all very good choices, and enchanter if you like a nice challenge.

The main problem with druid is, they can solo very well for super fast XP..... in a very limited number of locations. Can get boring pretty quickly. The other classes I mentioned will have much more flexibility on where you want to go.
    KermittheFroglok likes this.
  3. Streetdealer813 New Member

Which would u prefer does mage toys still a thing and sell if i remember they sold good
  4. moogs Augur

Druids are great for soloing but you'll be spending a lot of time kiting. It helps to learn key skills such as how to (almost) cast spells on the run, how to gather up mobs in a tight bunch, and how to kite in confined spaces. It takes some practice and situational awareness. It's much easier these days since there are special tools available such as the extended target window, the recent damage over time revamp, and the ability to disable spell casting awareness (if that's the right name) to maintain aggro in a group setting. Reverse kiting is a fun challenge and involves all of the above plus even more precision timing. You can easily kill 8+ animals at a time using virtually no mana, but it takes focus and there are not many places to do it in later expansions.
    KermittheFroglok likes this.
  5. slayerofbats Augur

Your choice should depend a lot on whether you will have a merc, and whether you will be paying a subscription to make that merc not suck. For example if you pay, you can have a tank merc that is a pretty good tank and does a lot of the work for you. In that case you could play as almost anything because the tank will tank and all you need to do is blast stuff to death before the tank gets too injured, or play as a healer to keep the tank alive. Or you could play as a tank and have a healer merc. Etc.

Personally I would pick whatever you most feel like playing solo and in groups once you eventually reach the high levels. Yeah you could just pick a Mage like most people do to make solo levelling quite easy, but then at high levels you have to play as a Mage in groups. If you decide at that point you would rather be an Ench or something, you are going to have to level up all over again. Having a high level mage could help you level of course, but it is still going to take a long time. If you pick now what you would most like to be, you can make it work for levelling up.
  6. badbunz84 Apprentice

is the game flooded with mages? When i played back in 2002 i was a rogue and ended up quitting because content passed me up and i could not effectively get groups to level. Also because i was becoming a upper class men in high school and social life became more important
  7. IblisTheMage Augur

Mages are fine and fun to play. You will need a good healer merc, and to block out the slow heals on the pet. SK are more powerful, but require a lot of gear as you level up, where mages can manage with the bare minimums for many levels. As you approach end levels, you will start focusing more on gear.

Levelling is A LOT faster. If you check out Almar's levelling guides, you see how you could fly through levels.

There is autogrant of AA, that will get you around 12.000 AA around lvl 95 (100?). So focus on leveling until you are at least 105.

Note, as you level up, you might get attracted to boxing, that means playing multiple accounts concurrently. This is great fun, and you will find a lot of threads here dicussing approaches.
  8. KermittheFroglok Augur

Welcome back, Streetdealer813! I recently returned too. Druid can be fun, using a merc. makes more classes somewhat solo'able through the 50's. I'd suggest tinkering with a few to figure out what play style you enjoy.

Since you're returning I'm guessing you were grandfathered into Silver Membership (e.g. 4 character slots and tier 5 apprentice mercs.) like me. When I came back I found I had a ton of unused Loyalty Points so I bought 3 extra slots (Doll of Character) from the loyalty vendor in PoK. So you could easily have 7 character slots if you've returned with your original account!

If you don't have your old account anymore then I'd recommend creating a characters on the Test Server and auto-leveling them to the 20's with the /testbuff command. Then travel to zones like Unrest or Highpass, that will give you a good feel for how the class *generally* plays (at least mid-game, I know many classes play different in endgame.)