List of abbreviations?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Shanarias, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Shanarias Augur

There are so many abbreviations and acronyms these days, and I have no idea what some of them are. If someone could point me to a working link of what is current, I would really be grateful.
  2. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

Beat to just ask and give context when asking.
  3. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Or just do a web search
  4. moogs Augur

Most of the expansions have common acronyms. You will see them mentioned often in chat.

PoP = Planes of Power
    LoY = Legacy of Ykesha
    GoD = Gates of Discord
    OoW = Omens of War
    DoN = Dragons of Norrath
    DoDh = Depths of Darkhollow
    PoR = Prophecy of Ro
    TSS = The Serpent's Spine
    TBS = The Buried Sea
    SoF = Secrets of Faydwer
    SoD = Seeds of Destruction
    UF = Underfoot
    HoT = House of Thule (2010)
    VoA = Veil of Alaris (2011)
    RoF = Rain of Fear (2012)
    CotF = Call of the Forsaken (2013)
    TDS = The Darkened Sea (2014)
    TBM = The Broken Mirror (2015)
    EoK = Empires of Kunark (2016)
    RoS = Ring of Scale (2017)
    Shanarias likes this.
  5. Shanarias Augur

I asked this precisely because a web search failed to produce anything current.
  6. Shanarias Augur

Thanks, moogs! That is a good start. :)
  7. TheStugots Augur

8. Tatanka Joe Schmo

For WHICH abbreviations. I find it hard to believe most of the abbreviation you're looking for wouldn't show up in a search. Especially if you include everquest in the search terms.

I just ran a little test with "everquest XXX", where XXX is a common EQ abbreviation, for about 10 different strings, and they all returned useful results at the top of the list.

Again, if there are PARTICULAR strings where this doesn't work, post them, and don't keep us guessing.
  9. Zhaunil_AB Augur

As was said by others, posts such as yours are not at all helpful - neither for yourself nor others - if you omit details.
    You CAN find lists on the web, but none of the lists you find are bound to be "complete".
  10. Scorrpio Augur

Give us a few samples you had problems with.
    Yallaen likes this.
  11. Shanarias Augur

Thank you all for your help. Now I see why the population base is so far down from what it was. I sat in the pile on Xegony for an hour last night and wasn't even able to buy any buffs. When I first came to EQ in 1999, it was a bustling, vital, and very helpful community.

Now it appears to be mostly "elitist fops" who are unwilling to be bothered to actually construct a sentence. So I will slog on, just a 25 Cleric with a merc, and see how far I can actually get playing this game without interacting with any of you.

May you all enjoy yourselves.
    Yallaen likes this.
  12. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

LoL = laughing out loud

EFlop = Elitist Fops

,,!,, = Enjoy your day
    Thrillho likes this.
  13. Thrillho Augur

0. What do buffs have to do with abbreviations?
    1. It's the holidays, and playtime is usually down.
    2. Xegony has one of the best buff-friendly populations I've seen, and regularly saw multiple people offering up buffs for various level ranges. It was to the point where I would put some specific people on ignore because I didn't want to be spammed with "Buffs for levels [range] incoming in 10 minutes!" "5 minutes!" "Incoming!" "Buffs for levels [range] over, but will start again in 60 minutes!" - repeat for next level range.
    3. You don't need buffs to win.
    4. The lag pile might make it seem like a lot of people are playing, but really, they're just there to soak up buffs overnight and will start playing again in several hours. Talking to empty characters won't get you anywhere.
    Zhaunil_AB likes this.
  14. Scorrpio Augur

You asked a rather generic question. You were given pointers on how to look for an answer. You were asked to provide details - specifically WHICH abbreviations you were trying to look up. You come around all sarcastic and call us elitist fops.

Now about buffs. In PoK, buff timers don't run so people often just plop down AFK in pile. Higher level characters will often do MGBs passing the pile. (MGB = mass group buff) Problem is, lvl 100+ buffs do not take on lvl 25 characters. Have you specifically mentioned you were lvl 25? If I am tradeskilling with my chanter and there is an ooc for haste, I might step over to pile and MGB my top haste.
    If you are lower level, it may be necessary to do a bit extra work. Do a /who, find someone of proper class who is not showing AFK, and send a direct tell. Do mention your level so the player knows which buff to load. Also do realize that on a typical evening, especially two weeks after expansion launch, active players are out adventuring, not sitting in PoK. I played about 4 hours yesterday, less than 5 minutes of that time was in PoK.
  15. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I have noticed that many low level players are having a hard time getting buffs in guild lobby which is where most of the MBG (mass group buff) is done. However this could be due to the fact they are too low of a level to get an MGB. I have also noticed that when the low levels take that time they wasted waiting around for buffs and go kill in level appropriate zones then they don't stay low level for long. Even more so when they hit level 20 and can start daily's with Franklin Teek.

I start my characters and go completely thru the tutorial getting all the goodies along with the free merc. Then I move on to Cresent Reach. Sometimes I am so engrossed I do not notice I lost all my buffs. And that's ok. So I figure I should buy some potions to fill in the buffs I don't have. I research the potions, buy them and then forget to use them once again cause killing is engrossing. Most characters I don't even use my merc and the exp still flys by. You are using a tank merc right?

The original player base back when you played was spread out in levels up to 50 or 60 so there were more players close to your level. You can still play that way on Agnar. Now a days the player base is above that being in the higher levels like 105 etc. so they are not necessarily elitist they just know how fast one can level in the current game and might not have low level buffs memorized.
  16. Tatanka Joe Schmo

sheesh.

It's a pile because everyone is AFK (sorry, that's Away From Keyboard. I'll now be punished for revealing that secret acronym which can't be found anywhere on the internet). Nobody's there to hear your request. Besides, just go play. All the buffs do is make things go a bit faster. How much XP could you have made in that hour? I've had times where I couldn't GIVE away buffs, people are out playing, and probably not paying attention to General. Life doesn't revolve around you.

As to the elitest fops who can't construct a sentence, well, I assume you're referring to the acronyms/abbreviations. So, I'm calling here, if you played in 1999, people used abbreviations just as much. Stop being petty.

So the big question is, why are you such a tool?

And don't worry, we will keep enjoying ourselves :)
  17. gnilaeh New Member

the easiest way is to ask in game what one you dont know is. I did back in the day till new ones popped up.
    Tatanka likes this.
  18. Sagarmatha Augur

Just think about the poor, starving children in Africa that will never even see a single buff. Yes, buffs are nice, but CERTAINLY not mandatory for playing the game. If it's THAT critical, just make a free account with an Enchanter or Shaman to level up along your main.

I swear, 90-95% of today's players would NEVER have survived 1999 to 2002 Everquest. The lack of, "quality of life" aspect is what made it fun!

As for grouping, (how tiring is it to see players whining about not finding a group?)- START YOUR OWN GROUP! I love breaking out my alts when I (rarely) see someone putting together a level 60s group. It's a nice change, and fun to try other classes. Hell, sometimes I even get out an alt and start one myself. Do you know what happens? My group fills up within minutes and we ways have a great time wrecking old content.

Seriously, true old school Everquest players had to be extremely RESOURCEFUL; most of today's player simply lack that trait.
    Yallaen likes this.
  19. Geroblue Augur

Oh dear... I've been here sine 2004, and I adore getting buffs. Thats why I have several HA clerics and shamans on several accounts and servers.
    Yallaen likes this.
  20. moogs Augur

I would venture to guess that 90-95% of today's players were playing in 1999-2002.
    Tatanka likes this.