The Good, the Bad, the Ugly

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by ptah, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Sissruukk Rogue One

I ran with a group last night with no chanter through HS. No chanter, no bard. Warrior, Ranger, Rogue, BL, Druid, Cleric. I used my mez bomb twice, and shared stealth once. Rest of it we slogged through or used IvU to get to where we needed, and it was pretty deep in (NE section, which meant going south first).

In OT, I run with a regular group, SK, SK, Druid, Shaman, Cleric, Rogue. No chanter needed.

In Skyfire, I ran with an SK, Druid, merc, merc, merc, Rogue. In the same spot Sirene_Fippy was at. No chanter needed.

What we didn't do is go balls-to-the-wall pulling and killing. I did most of the pulling, and I look around, watch pathing, etc., before I start to yank stuff. If need be, I will smokebomb a static spawn area to yank from, but in OT and Skyfire, you can get plenty of pathers to pull from that walk around. It is really just a matter of being aware of your surroundings and watching the mobs and what they do. It is doable without a mezzer. Just take time and figure stuff out, use each toon's strengths, and work together. You may not be able to waltz in and break camps right off, but in OT and Skyfire, you have plenty of pathing mobs that you can pull from if you find a good spot to sit at. As you get stronger, get your skills/spells, get your levels, you will be able to do more and more things.
    Belexes likes this.
  2. Tucoh Augur

Nah, it's more that HS is just tough to do if you can't effectively single pull / CC and are also pretty fresh into RoS and aren't level 110.

Bards get their lvl 113 and lower mez at level 109. This makes things much easier, along with Fading Memories working on higher level mobs at 109 and 110.
    Belexes likes this.
  3. Zaknaffein Augur

You're such a nerd Sirene rofl... this made me laugh pretty good, a freakn death chart. All I thought was "welcome to a tanks life?" I'm so use to dieing it doesn't phase me what so ever anymore.

As for my experience so far:

The good: A level increase expansion is always exciting and needed after so many years of the same spells/disc/levels/etc. Tradeskills are something that I have a lot of fun with, and I actually enjoy figuring out the recipes instead of just being able to scribe them even if I get frustrated with some of the more vague clues in the books. I also like the challenge RoS provides, there isn't much I can't do with my 3 box crew but so far RoS has proven fun and challenging for me, though some stuff is blah because it requires burst dps. Also Sirene, do what I do and just bum rush into rooms! just don't mez the mobs before they get in range or before I can do stormstrike blades ok! it's better to let them agrgo me so i can build up agro while mezzed! :)

The Bad: Bugs, a lot of little bugs that are annoying. Drunk effects from the undead in skyfire... very annoying. The dps requirements for a lot of the missions. I box a warrior bard and druid and have been able to do every missions/task/quest for years now each expansion with the exception of one or two per expansions, but so far ROS I have needed some burst dps to help on most missions, the only one I could probably straight up box on my own is gorowyn mission. I have been playing mostly with a monk friend and we have been able to knock out everything so far except end of empire, soon though!

The Ugly: The Meteor Decals and geometry in End of Empire! No upgrade to grasp ( though i actually don't mind this so much, for reasons :p) Cleric Merc AI is terrible when more than 1 person starts to take damage. TS quests being buggy so I can't figure out some recopies yet!

You can check out my adventures through RoS, grouping,tradeskilling, and raids or if you just enjoy watching me die you can watch that too on my twitch stream! I've done all the progression so far minus VP, so you can see a little run through of some missions or the T1 raids.

https://www.twitch.tv/zaknaffein_warrior
    Hiladdar and klanderso like this.
  4. Galliana Elder

That bard is squishier than a ranger.
    Hiladdar likes this.
  5. Thrillho Augur

Well, that didn't pan out :). Was a fun attempt, but they amped up Cactiikii from Beta.
  6. Belexes ForumQuester

Why are they complaining about how hard group play is? Don't they have T1 raids to conquer? :p

We did OT partisian task number 2 the other night. I was at 108 level. It is tough, but we got it done. Had a SK tank, me as a rogue, chanter, Shaman and two healer mercs. Died a couple of times from some bad pulls. As a rogue, I scouted the rooms to see what was in them and helped figure out how to pull etc. Did some corpse dragging and found the dark elf you needed to hail and kill. I went ahead and hailed, escaped and went back to group. We eventually killed our way to the DE and killed it. On the way, we took out the namer, Vermistipus. It was fun and more importantly, it was a challenge we overcame. It was fun! Been a long time since the game was like this.

People are used to a few expansions now where the level didn't change, didn't have to cope with mobs being super red and dungeons.

Learn how to dungeon crawl, learn the tricks to survive dungeons. Learn to build a good group for the task and learn good group strategies and it shouldn't be something to complain about.

It felt good to go into a dungeon feeling nervous again!!

If you are gonna go play in expansion at 105, it will be something of a challenge just like in any expansion were you are going to be more than 5 levels lower than many of the mobs. It will be just like level 5s going into Crush and taking out the tower or trying to kill D'Vinn. :)

There is nothing unfair or not doable for the groups who are prepared. Remember your old school Everquest roots. We have had to do this before.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  7. Sissruukk Rogue One

Yeah, I love being a rogue, scouting, strategizing, working our way through a dungeon crawl. We got to the dark elf, then took out the Admiral, got a nice 1hb for our healer that was with us.
  8. Bigstomp Augur

This is likely a little over hard for where it is in progression (first zone). Although once people level up and buy their stuff, mez is pretty sweet.
  9. Tucoh Augur

What's funny is they did the same thing in EoK progression where right near the start of the expansion you're asked to go to the back of the spider cave and spawn a bunch of spiders to fight. I feel like that mission is harder than everything until you have to get to the end of the Lab area to fight the researchers.

I helped a lot of people through that mission and I know you did too. I bet OT#2 will cause people to ask for help in the same way. I parked a heroic mage at the end of the HS zone where the Arisen mob is and will be able to pop onto him to summon people who need help to the end of the zone.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  10. Thrillho Augur

That's a great idea, until some jerk comes along and trains the zoneline killing everyone there...

...sorry again for that whoever I killed last night :oops:.
    IblisTheMage and Tucoh like this.
  11. Tucoh Augur

If you defeat End of Empire with your monk buddy I'd be very interested to hear a breakdown on how you did it.
  12. kinadafz Augur

Good: new levels brings new spells, aa's, gear, etc. It makes it fun again to farm gear. Gear is easy so far, yet challenging, as a boxer. I have been able to kill every named with ease with healer merc, yet I've died to trash. Nice mix. I've had to turn my shaman into a dedicated backup healer opposed to dotter, which is a nice refresher. Monk's seem to have purpose again. not being KOS to anything I skyfire, assuming due to all the slaughtering in NTOV back in the day haha. Some upgrades to some disc's that were way over due (war stand line and a zerker disc I don't recall which, but nice).

Bad: Monk seemed to lose some DPS from expansion. Zerker is now the top of my DPS. Guess that isn't too bad as that is how it should be, but it was unexpected, and is probably just my crew. Limited amount of new "stuff" to do compared to last expansion's, especially with a level increase.

Ugly: Cost of slot 3 augs and requirement of a perfected distiller to remove. I loaded up all my toons with slot 3's on day 1. Then went to remove them with gear upgrades and quickly forgot they required a perfected distiller, which to my knowledge you can't buy with plat or any in game currency (minus crowns).
  13. segap Augur

The spider caves were about the only fun part of EoK progression. Most of the rest was menial errands.
    Tucoh likes this.
  14. Riou EQResource

Our closest try was like 4-6% on the final warleader boss (got lucky on meteors not hitting group), we haven't tried again since then though, not all the toons are max level or AA or have their RoS spells, or anything like that too which would probably make it easier.

The main problem I think is just the low DPS that far into the event, since there is only 1 real DPS at that time due to the mercs insta dieing on warleader start phase. If both mercs were replaced or they didn't insta die at that time and the druid could also burn, it would probably be an easy win with that kinda group setup.

The event just basically balance down each wave, then final warleader wave is a burn on the karzok adds first to stop them spawning the chokidai (which is another thing the group version has that the raid one doesn't, seems like they reversed it :p), then try to finish warleader.

Zak boxing 3 toons makes dodging many things tougher of course on his side, or general moving them for meteors and such in a fast time while also tanking. It is best to save meteor clicks for Warleader part and just run out of them before that if possible. Another issue is trying to keep the mobs balanced once the NPCs "help".
  15. Drogba Augur

You needed to send in your group geared sk, maybe just add some proper defensive disc'ing for the fight. or any of those other soloish classes (mage/nec/monk etc)

Sancus, Belexes and Riou like this.
  16. Belexes ForumQuester

Dang it Drogba, I got that tune in my head now. :D

I think you could have done that with the first DE at the end of the golem room without aggroing the room. That is the one I hailed and then escaped from. The golems are out of aggro range. There is room at the end where she roams. I would think you could have stopped there.
  17. Talonthalis Elder

The Good: New Content/levels/spells/discs and NEW SCENERY! Love going new places!
    The Bad: Monk bug so lvl 106 made you 104.5 (now fixed though, thank you!)
    The Ugly: The string of corpses...mine! Not knowing when to use Expedient Recovery as I'm sure I'll be taking a dirt-nap again soon.

I do love that the content has gotten difficult again. We all enjoy a walk in the park from time to time but we don't want to become One Punch Man and be drunk with boredom.
    Hiladdar likes this.
  18. Hiladdar Augur

GOOD: Once the bugs are are cleaned up, this expansion has the potential be be a good expansion.

BAD: Quests that do not work, some of the recommendations from beta were not implemented, and some of the group content AE's and DoTs are over tuned. What spell overwrites what buff, as well as what is allowed to overwrite what. Some 101-105 rk. III buffs can not be overwritten by buffs in the same line that are 5 levels greater. If it has not yet been fixed, what I listed here as bad and other stuff over time will be fixed.

UGLY: Customer service to hybrids who lost experience. I have great respect for the GMs dealing with the no exp death bug issue, but I believe that their hands are tied as to what they can do. I am basing that statement of my interaction with CS on this issue. My experience is that it was too late, and little, and only compensated at most for 25% of the experience lost. What was not addressed at all, was that outside of raids I avoided RoS to not have the number of deaths Sirene_Flippy documented in this thread.