Problem with Mage pet focus item

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by insomnia990, Dec 19, 2017.

1. insomnia990 New Member

lvl 63 mage. I have 2 intricate summoners earrings equipped which have a pet focus effect of summoners boon. Is there a trick to get this to work? I've tried 3 different pets, and none of them seem to get the effect.
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

What level pet spells are you using? Summoner's Boon works on pet spells from 59 to 70. Did you perhaps use a lower level pet spell?
  3. Kyzvs Augur

I thought summoners only worked on rathe's son, ward of xegony, servant of marr and child of ro? After that you need to have minion of darkness etc. I'm probably wrong on that, I only had summoners boon this time around for about 20 minutes.

Easiest way to check is to try to give a pet plate up to the early 70's. If he takes it, he's a normie. I do it all the time to check if I equipped the Drowned Mans Hair item from the Barren Coast at time of casting.
  4. insomnia990 New Member

I've been using servant of marr
  5. Kyzvs Augur

Have you tried giving it a piece of phantom plate to be sure?
  6. moogs Augur

Did you summon it when you were level 62? If so, did it con even?
  7. corwin Journeyman

Could be that you are expecting a message - "your intricate summoners earring glows" etc

You don't get any such message when summoning pets.

The pet maybe a higher lvl when summoned with focus
  8. Alanray New Member

Just resurrecting this thread for a question. I am a 62 Mage, I have two summon focuses, one is the intricate Conjurer's Earring with focus effect of Summoners Boon and the other is the Enchanted Harpy Blade with Minion of Darkness. I usually equip both of these when summoning the level 60 water pet as I am not sure which one is better. Anyways, I was reading this thread and in here some one says give your pet summoned plate and see if he takes it. Well mine takes the plate and I'm guessing equips it.

How do I know if these focuses are working? I don't see a message saying its working and according to a post above me I won't, so is there a way to know if the focus is working for me?

Thanks in advance.
  9. KermittheFroglok Augur

If your pet accepts the plate armor you give it then it's not spawning with the better armor from the focus effect you're trying to get working. For example, try giving it plate twice, i don't think it will accept the second set because the AC isn't higher than what it already has.
    moogs likes this.
  10. moogs Augur

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=4407

This first effect is better than this other one.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=4409
  11. Adonhiram Augur

Moogs is right, Minion of Darkness is better than Summoner's Boon - and pet foci don't stack, so use this one. I can confirm as a TLP player (who used during Luclin and early PoP on Ragefire the VT gloves which were the original item with Minion of Darkness) that the plate armor trick is the best test to know if your focus works or not.

By no means, as a level 62 mage, should you use the level 60 Kunark water pet. Your everyday pet should be the level 61 (the spell) Ward of Xegony (air) pet. PoP pets have a base level of 60, with MoD your air pet will be level 62 ; your Kunark pet has a base level of...48.