Yet again we need a patch upload

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by toodlem, Nov 21, 2017.

1. toodlem Elder

I'll be happy to continue to help others when you stop if someone can help me learn exactly what I need to do... have a mega account... just not sure about zipping the files and uploading there.
    xxGriff likes this.
  2. Yojimbo New Member

You need a Win 7+ box in order to do this, in the absence of some official link to the patch files and .download.txt: (The following is in reference to that newer box.)

1) Run the updater as usual. Close out of the game, and open Windows Explorer.
    2) Navigate to the Everquest folder, select View/Details, and sort by file date, newest first. Copy all files that match the date of the update into a new folder named Everquest elsewhere.
    3) Repeat step 2 for each subfolder, and recreate any subfolders you find that contain newly-patched files, copying files into their appropriate subfolders. Include .download.txt in the main EQ folder (this should be among the newly-patched files anyway).
    4) Zip the new folder up (including subfolders) and upload it.

The Details sort and block copying makes the process trivial.
  3. Moege Augur

Updated 19 December 2017
  4. toodlem Elder

I have been able to copy the files for my second computer, .. it is the zipping and uploading that I am struggling with. I can probably do with Mega.nz .. have account there... and i have 7zip. How far behind in patches are folks at this point?
  5. toodlem Elder

NM looks like Moege has got ya till the end of the year.
  6. Donutsz12 Elder

honestly... I have no sympathy for any of you still on old outdated systems. XP and Vista are old and filled with so many security holes. They are End of Life.... Meaning there has been no security patches on those OS for a very long time. You are just asking for trouble being on those kind of systems. Pretty soon DBG will get tired of it and just patch the eqgame so it can't run on those systems and you will be forced to do it anyways. Get it out of the way and just upgrade.
  7. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I doubt DBG will purposefully sabotage winxp-compatibility without a good reason.

However there are lots of very good reasons for DBG to ditch winxp-compatibility entirely:
    For example, if they feel like using something beyond DX9-somewhere in the client...;)
  8. Moege Augur

Will probably make my python perl script* available very soon, just need to make some changes so it is not installation specific to myself.

* Well I'm getting old cannot remember in what I wrote it
  9. Kyzvs Augur

The thing that gets me on this is that having XP on a closed system is fine (bank ATMs are the example I always use - a lot of them are still XP) - but being on the internet with XP is not only a risk to the user, but once it is compromised and used as part of a botnet / mining farm / whatever it is also helping to inconvenience others.

Sorry - I am in IT management and it really peeves me that people don't see the bigger picture of this sort of stuff. I mean no disrespect to users here, just trying to open eyes.
    Perplexed likes this.
  10. Moege Augur

You do realize that some people needing these files are not even on WinXP, they are running it on linux using wine. Getting a bit tired about hearing that people need to upgrade and how bad it is.
  11. Donutsz12 Elder

People running linux are usually have an IT background or know what they are doing. They should always have some other system/vm that is a windows based to get these files. EQ was never suppose to be on linux but someone from an IT background figured it out. That doesn't mean since certain applications like the patcher doesn't work that DBG have to support it.
  12. Kyzvs Augur

I ran EQ on Wine too a long time ago as my Linux box in the house was a server, so as it was always on doing server-type stuff it also ran my trader.

Not sure I'd be pressuring people to provide a patch for me though on Wine - it was never a supported setup and I was more than happy to realise I was on my own.

If you know how to run Wine to the point EQ works, then you must be an avid tinkerer - you could run a Windows trial VM fer free for the patcher and grab the files? Hell, I'd bash script the work to do it for me - I do that to parse my trader log and pump it into MySQL so I can check my sales from my phone ;)
  13. Kyzvs Augur

...actually - I would set the Windows VM to samba/nfs drive to your Wine EQ install directory - then you'd only have to start the VM and run the patcher, no copying required...

... actually actually...
    • Set the patcher in the Windows VM to run on Windows startup
    • Use linux cron to start the VM nightly at say 4am or whatever time you aren't on
    • Set Windows to shutdown after say 10-90 minutes (depending on your internet connection speed)
    ...and hey presto, auto-patching you don't need to think about :D
    Niskin likes this.
  14. Smokezz The Bane Crew

LOL. Zero people that know how to get things running on Linux will be here crying about EQ not running on an ancient OS. They know what they're doing, they know how to get the files themselves. Get real.
  15. Bigfan Augur

This is the reason I set a timeframe for me uploading files, I was being nice because daybroke just changed it without warning.

I do not support or advocate the use of XP/Vista, I feel sorry for the Linux people who can't figure it out, but if you can't, you should not be on Linux.

Win 7+ machines are less than 150$ usd now, no excuse.

If you have a windows 7+ PC on your network, just share your EQ folder, use launchpad, boom done.
  16. Jaxxy New Member

Any of you still using an old OS, you can clean install (i installed Windows 10 Enterprise) Windows 10 WITHOUT a CD Key. The only negatives I have is a watermark on lower right of my screen and being unable to customize my desktop(unbelievably there no having Windows, for this MS should be commended), but I can run eq without needing a patch

Its unknown how long Microsoft will allow this to happen of if at some point my OS will stop working, I found out about this from reputable websites and none of them say there's any other limatations
    Vinjiansai likes this.