What are the worse alternate abilities?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by MarttinPH, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Natal Augur

It gets better.....no gear has end regen, so it does nothing, not even for those classes that use end.
    Felicite and fransisco like this.
  2. Goodn Augur

Ngreth, I have the utmost respect for your passion for tradeskills and your continued concern for having tradeskills in Everquest. But if the tradeskill mastery aas held up anything regarding tradeskills...then that's on the developers.

Worst thing that ever happened to tradeskills? Really? The DoN cultural do-over doesn't ring a bell?

No one really wanted to touch the skillups? A junior high math nerd could have created a formula/algorithm in 15 minutes as an intern with the parameters you want. Tradeskill skillups are not exactly EQ's version of the Apollo program.

As far as the higher trivials, they were immediate introduced along with the mastery aas. And you know what? The next expansion had even higher trivials (with no change in skill caps or tradeskill bonuses). The mastery aas didn't cause higher and higher trivials...the devs desires for more and more difficult recipes did. Sure, the mastery aas skewed the numbers higher, but the devs wanted fewer and fewer items made from a set amount of ingredients. THAT is why the numbers got so big.

Tradeskills today are just another series of quests and have really lost almost all their charm from the old days. Tradeskills are just part of the power build for a character. Which is okay...things change. You are now catering tradeskills almost purely to the end game crowd. But please don't mislead yourself into thinking that the mastery aas should have had anything to do with the further development of tradeskills in the game. Where we are now is what you and the other devs wanted.
  3. HeatherPurrs Augur

I wonder why most people loathe tradeskills and just do them for the "reward" after everything else is done?
  4. HeatherPurrs Augur

This.
  5. Cicelee Augur

Because many people want the best items they can obtain, and tradeskill "rewards" have traditionally resulted in best in slot items for not only that expansion, but future ones as well.

I am still wearing my Shawl augment, even though it came out in Underfoot. And Artisan Prize augment appears to be used until the final expansion when we do our final raid on Veeshan....

Besides many raiders loathe doing the same raid each week over and over and over and over for 50 plus weeks. But we do it not only to help others, but to also gear up our characters with best in slot items. Some players hate sitting at a named camp for hours on end to farm a specific augment. We loathe it, but we do so for best at the time augments. Etc etc
  6. AlmarsGuides Augur

So you can only pull mobs that you've killed 100 of before? That sounds a bit inefficient =(

Although, this is the best use of the ability I have ever heard of, using it for pulling.

It's free DPS but if you have burns up or any cooldowns you're wasting DPS by using Banestrike. So if you're a raider Banestrike is costing you some damage. The math is most visible while you're burning and using Banestrike compaired to when you're just normally attacking with the ability.

Basically, unless you do the math here's the TL;DR version of it.

Banestrike gets NO benefit from cooldowns, melee or spell. All your other abilities do. Banestrike costs you a global cooldown even though it's instant cast which in turn means Banestrike is a replacement for one of your other abilties that would benefit from all the bonus damage, crits and spell power etc from your cooldowns/burns.

Casters could probably 'weave' a Banestrike better than melee can if they're so desperate to use an ability that does miniscule damage but melee 100% suffer from using Banestrike during their burns and I have confirmed it myself and seen it confirmed through testing.
  7. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Are you sure? :confused:

I was under the impression that banestrike didn't affect the global cooldown at all.

At least not the spell-gem-cooldown?

Im a wizard, and I have banestrike on my "forces"-macro, which I activate between spell-refreshes: I haven't experienced any cooldown-issues?

Any wizard that isn't desperate to add miniscule damage, is not a proper wizard! :p
    Yinla likes this.
  8. Vlerg Augur

Do we really need TS recipe to fail once we reached max skill?

Isn't farming random rare drop in long-forgotten zone annoying enough for TS?
  9. AlmarsGuides Augur

You're right it doesn't affect spell gem cooldown but it does affect the refresh/cooldown for the forces you cast and in some battles your macro may choose to cast Banestrike OVER a force when a force is available to be cast which would result in an overall DPS loss.

Basically as a wizard it would be more effective for you to make sure all 3 of your forces are kept on cooldown/you rotate them between casts. If you rotate in banestrike instead in some instances it leaves your forces off cooldown for longer... which could result in something like 1 or 2 less forces cast per battle which would of course be less over all DPS.

Luckily, a wizard is the class I have tested this all on the most since it's my main DPS class. When I really wanted to 'try hard' and maximize my DPS I only used Banestrike when i wasn't burning and extremely low on mana (also used it after I died and got a rez). I found that in those sitautions Banestrike didn't really hurt me all that much to use it. However, every time I tested it on a combat dummy I noticed 10 - 20k less (during RoF X-pac - it would be much more significant now) in my overall burn DPS and the primary reason for that was I was casting 1 - 5 less forces per battle when trying to use Banestrike in my regular rotation.
  10. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

You could just refund/remove them...
  11. moogs Augur

It does cost you. It has like a 2 second animation which locks you out of using any other spells or abilities. Also, the range is very short and the damage isn't really worth using up a social line for.
  12. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Hmm, looks like I will have retest my macro then. I honestly never suspected(or noticed) that banestrike would block anything. :confused: