ROS worth buying if not done with EOK progression?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Obiwon, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Obiwon Elder

Left for two expansion when TDS shipped as I was not happy with forced progression. Got talked into coming back by some LON buddies during EOK but due to family obligations, long work hours and lack of groups (I don't believe in boxing), I am not done with EOK progression.

Any reason to buy this expansion in that case, as my first question? The frustration has me near my end game anyway.
  2. fransisco Augur

Absolutely.
    The need for EoK progression to be immune to green sarnaks is only an issue in like 2 zones (both of which are tier 2).
    For the armor, you don't actually need t2 kunark armor. I'm pretty sure you can buy some sort of item to use in the combine to create t1 armor (probably need mission pts for it).

Plus you get 5 lvls and everything that brings. It'll be good.

Lastly, I'm betting that the progression requirement will be softened/dissapear eventually (7-10 months from release) to make catch-up more feasible for newer/returning players.
  3. Vanrau Augur

Plenty to do in RoS even if you are not done with EoK progression. You can even buy EoK group and raid gear from vendors in RoS. That way you don't have to go back to EoK and finish if you don't want to.

Also the first tier of raiding is open in RoS, no need to do EoK progression to do those raids. However the raid difficulty for those tier 1 raids are more difficult than EoK raids.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  4. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

Dont buy it and stay 105, buy it and lvl to 110 and make eok easier...
    Gundolin likes this.
  5. Cicelee Augur

If you are frustrated right now with Everquest at 105, you are probably going to be frustrated at 110. In which case, best to move on to another game. Especially if you are frustrated with EOK.

And before the flames come in, I am just being upfront and honest. ROS is basically EOK, and if OP is frustrated with EOK s/he is probably going to be frustrated with ROS and five more levels...
    Gyurika Godofwar, Chelsith and moogs like this.
  6. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Buy it, even if all you do is gain 5 levels and stay in EoK zones you will advance from where you are now much easier. Then when you move to RoS content you'll be in even better shape.
  7. Talonthalis Elder

Five levels will re-balance content to your favor, should you stay with EOK. Then when you're satisfied, move to the new content. Those extra levels alone are worth it.
    Gyurika Godofwar and code-zero like this.
  8. Reval Augur

I'll give you a different viewpoint of this. The power that being higher level brings isn't going to solve your problem, and I think we both know that. If that was the solution you wanted, you could just do content in RoS or CotF designed for a level 100. What you want is groups to play with, right? Hell you could be level 18 and if there were groups it's a much better game than 105 lfg for most of your time. That's the actual problem from what I can tell.

So then the real question that comes out is "Will I get to actually play everquest in a way that is fun if I buy this new expansion more than I will without it?"

I can tell you that the playing population increases when something new comes out. Sure, part of that is cliques that won't play with you and box crews that may or may not have room for you. But you are still in a better situation. The chances of a group that'll take another grow exponentially when more people are playing the game.

And the real advantage of a level cap increase is that if you get in early, and are able to ride the wave, you're going to have groups for 5 levels worth of playing on top of potentially all of the progression.

That's the case I think for buying the new expansion. Whatever you choose to do though, I hope you have fun.
    Chelsith likes this.
  9. ptah Augur

While my heart tends to agree with most people, My peanut brain agrees with Cicelee post. From what I read RoS is going to give out dirt naps to most if not all. Being in on the action at first is best bet for getting groups. Both RoS and Eok will be alive I think, maybe less boxing groups and more really people less merc groups.. I hope so. I am looking forward to this and plan on jump into action in favor of teamwork. My pov is of a returning player and i understand I am behind (like 24 months) I feel I add more to a group than merc. Plan to play Clr, Enc, and or bard... box if I must but so excited if content is driven to true 6 man non merc.. /wave lfg Nwall and the LFG tool is used.

I dont know much, two group content.. sexy
  10. CM99games Journeyman

Even if you don't do much in Ring of Scale, it's well worth the price for the extra 5 levels.
  11. Reht The Dude abides...

and all of the brand new original spells that come with those 5 levels...
  12. HeatherPurrs Augur

They've never done this so soon as 7-10 months after release. It's usually never or a couple of years or more later, often as an afterthought. See TBM and TDS progression as an examples of not softening or changing.
    Reht likes this.
  13. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Based on your first sentence, no don't buy it. If you were a questing player or boxer or some other reason to play like you have a large guild to help you out or you live to raid and be #1 on the server then you may have a reason. You don't have a reason and are frustrated already. So none of these responses will help you compare the pros and cons more than you already have so you still have to make your own decision!:)
  14. AnzoRagespirit Augur

This made me snicker out loud :)
    Reht likes this.
  15. Benito EQ player since 2001.

You can actually save money if you're planning to play casual for the next year by buying the expansion. As a F2P player, you can still get normal xp. So wear EoK/RoS Tier 1 and grind to level 110 at your own pace without having to pay for membership (which is required for AA and prestige/hardcore business).
  16. Stell_CT Elder

Easiest time to progress is when it is new. More people doing it, more groups, ect. Find a Guild that suits your needs and play style and you will be fine. Doing content once it is old (older than 4-6 months) It is much harder to find people to help. Most have done it already and don't want to do it again. If you wait till your done with EoK (and not quit because of it being a solo grind) and 2-3 months passes before you start RoS you will be in the same position now as you are then.

If you still want to play the game, Get the expansion. Group with people in the expansion, Then go back and finish up EoK as time allows.
  17. 22wplkj Lorekeeper

I have not been to EoK yet. Is it structured with instanced zones like CoTF and TBM? You can't really out level those expansions because the instance scales with your level.If you level in those expansions and don't have the aa or gear power boost to go with it you are worse off.

Just wondering if leveling up will really help you in EoK. I have bought the expansion but planned to stay 105 for a long time once I get there.
  18. Yimin Augur

Buy it for the 5 level increase

YiMin
  19. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

EoK is full of normal zones. Being 110 will help a lot.
  20. Metanis Bad Company

The comments about groupage make the most sense to me. Should be marginally easier to get a group if you are the same level as most everyone else.