Necromancer DOT Update?!

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Anon, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Ryak Augur

I don't see how necro group play could possibly get any worse due to consolidation. If anything, a single short duration DoT might actually be worth casting over lifetaps if it did more damage over the half-duration it's going to tick for.

If today we want the same effectiveness, we'd still be stacking DoTs as the mob died, and most of them would be far less than halfway effective at the point we get to cast them.

As far as i'm concerned mana is no object. It's the extremely long ramp up time thats a killer, so we're reduced to a bad mage with a few extra utility spells.
  2. -wycca Augur

Except a couple of mobs, you're still going to be competing for top tier DPS in Velious.
  3. Hadesborne Augur

Bump, ETA devs?
  4. Miena Elder

There was a big thread in the beta forums with someone even suggesting which spells to modify and how. But that didn't even get a response so I'm guessing it'll be later rather than sooner.
  5. Vanrau Augur

They are way behind with the new expansion. There is no way they can finish up all the things that need to be done by December 12th.
  6. Moege Augur

Still going to be released anyway.
    Accipiter likes this.
  7. DarkerArts Lorekeeper

TLP balancing for necro dps pre-pop will be inherently difficult because the devs were for some reason trying to steer their gameplay in a different direction at the time of kunark-Luclin.

Unnerfing the EoT would be a good start because it is completely worthless for most raid targets. Continuing to scale the damage on the fire dots would be the obvious way to balance, so that they do considerably more damage at 60 than 50, and you could do this for splurt as well.

And the third way would be to increase the -resist adjustment on disease and poison spells, but this would help shamans just as much. Perhaps a big boost to scent of terris would help.
  8. Darchias Augur

Little late on the response, but you could do what I did when I was leveling with my Druid on Agnarr: Just don't mem the highest level versions of your dots in groups. If they die before your highest level DoT finishes, use the next one down. I used Stinging Swarm all the way until I got Drones of Doom, which is when I shifted to Creeping Crud. The high level stuff is for soloing.
  9. Machentoo Augur

If mobs are dead in 10 seconds, which they mostly are in a full group, it doesn't matter what version of your dots you use, they are not going to be effective. At that rate the only really effective way to dot in groups is for the dot class to dot up and solo a mob or two while the rest of the group kills other mobs, but most groups (especially pugs) aren't prepared to handle that sort of thing efficiently.
    Ckador and snailish like this.
  10. Darchias Augur

If your DPS is that good, then you don't really need to cast any DoT's yeah? A Necro can contribute with pet DPS and their (bad) nukes, as well as Screaming Terror. A Shaman can focus keeping the full complement of buffs out along with heals and the occasional slow of an add, or a Cripple. A Druid has perfectly serviceable nukes alongside heals, CC, and buffs.

Alternatively, go to a higher level area and get a group there, or bring the group somewhere else. If you can't find something to do the party might be a little strong for the area.
  11. Machentoo Augur

Not sure if you are aware, but this was posted in the progression server forum. There are no harder zones for us to go to. On any of these servers, currently, 10 seconds is about as long as any of the hardest group zone mobs will last to a full group of geared toons. Even in Anguish on Phinigel, the trash doesn't last much longer than that.
  12. tofu stir fry Augur

in support of this so i can solo even better and still not need a group for anything aside from raids !
    /bump
  13. Ryak Augur

I would really like it if i could actually spend my mana by casting my highest level damage spells, rather than it taking so long to cast the 14 DoTs I need to cast to do 60% of the damage of a melee that the raid mob is dead 10 seconds later.

Now every Dotting class can do equivalent to like 4 of my DoTs dps by casting one DoT and still go nuke/heal/debuff/whatever they want while I'm stuck refreshing DoTs for days.
  14. RandomStrategy Augur

Can't you play dead when overrun? Split pull? Pet? Charm? Do you want to add massive damage dots on to that?

Balnace.
  15. Mwapo Augur

Yeah, get rid of dots all together. Necros are too strong as is.
  16. Ryak Augur

Besides charm, which hasn't been viable since Luclin and never will be again. There is nothing you listed above that a monk doesn't do better than a necro. (Pet is just another Dot) Does that mean monks don't get to do effective melee damage for "balance"?

So actually, yes, i would like massive damage DoTs on top of that. That's kind of the point of the class. And right now every other DoT class is flat out superior in group and raid content because the most important factor is damage/cast.

Just like how if wizards didn't have massive damage nukes i'd think they were pretty justified to complain.
  17. Zapsos Augur

Monk's can't feed mana!

Now get back into the heal channel and check on the clerics! :D
  18. Fhiele Augur

Uppity Necros!
  19. Ryak Augur

Ha, right, a spell line that was discontinued in Kunark is our primary class feature now :p
    Fhiele likes this.
  20. Potawatomi Augur