Keyboard commands to replace Mouse

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by kinadafz, Nov 29, 2017.

1. kinadafz Augur

Is there a list of keyboard commands to replace mouse clicks? Specifically a keyboard command to target NPC's, cycle through the extended target window, etc?
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I use "a" to cycle through NPCs. Works good when I can't get the mouse click to select the mob for whatever stupid reason.

Not entirely sure, but "a" may not be the default for this. I have a faint memory of changing this years ago.

I would also suggest you check out the options menu for keyboard commands. There are a lot of functions which have no default keyboard commands. Go to the options window, I forget the name of the tab, but it should be obvious, and then you can select the dropdown on that tab for all the different categories of functions, and see the primary and secondary keyboard command for each.

Tat
    Thomasofold likes this.
  3. moogs Augur

There is no default for it. I set "cycle nearest NPCs" to 'K' (A is bound cuz WASD). But yeah, pick one and set it in your options. It's the most useful hotkey that is not set by default.

The options tab should be "Target".
  4. kinadafz Augur

Thanks guys, this will help while I’m one armed !
  5. Bigstomp Augur

What Tatanka said up above is where to go digging.
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Yeah, I don't use wasd, so it was free for me. And thanks for mentioning that it's not set by default. So, I thought I remembered setting it up at some point. Everyone really should scroll through those lists to find useful functions they weren't aware of.

Another really useful one, before advanced looting, was cycle through corpses. Often it was hard to target an npc corpse for looting, if the surrounding geometry was funky. So, I had this set to "k" (moogs comment reminded me of this), and I could just type /loot once it was targeted.
  7. Thomasofold Elder

Thanks guys this actually solves a problem I have been having. Clicking Enemies when they are over a corpse is a nightmare sometimes.
  8. Tatanka Joe Schmo

One thing that may help, it's a trick I've learned, is to target the "neck" of the mob or corpse. That seems to give me fewer wrong mob, or no mob, targeted. Elsewhere on the mob's body seems to have much more sketchy results.
    Thomasofold likes this.
  9. Gialana Augur

You can also hide corpses, if those are a problem. The command is /hidecorpse <type>, where <type> is replaced by one of many options.
    none - makes all non-expired corpses visible
    npc - hides all npc corpses present at the time the command is issued. Any newly created corpses are not hidden, and all PC corpses remain visible.
    looted - useful when not using advanced looting. After you get up from looting a corpse, it disappears. This option is persistent, meaning it will work even for corpses created after you issue the command and will work even if you zone or camp.
    always - hides every existing corpse and immediately hides any newly created corpses. This will hide your groupmate's corpses as well, which has caused me a lot of confusion in trying to find their corpse to ressurect. This option is also persistent. There is another downside with this option if you use a mount. When you dismount, you will be stunned for a couple of seconds. This is a bug or unintended consequence, but it's still a problem today.

There are other types, as well. I think if you enter /hidecorpse with an invalid type, it will give you a list of all possible options, but I'm not positive.
    Thomasofold likes this.
  10. moogs Augur

I used the period key to cycle through nearest corpses and then had a hotkey for /loot, but now I just use advanced looting full time.

You can also type "/tar a" and it would target something like "a snake's corpse", or "/tar f" and it would target Fippy Darkpaw's corpse. This can be useful if you are showing up to loot a rotting item from another group and you're trying to find the corpse of the named mob that's got the good stuff.
    Thomasofold likes this.
  11. HeatherPurrs Augur

In options under keys you'll want to assign two keys. One for cycle through extended target and one for nearest npc. Also ` will target the nearest npc in front of you.
    Thomasofold likes this.
  12. Thomasofold Elder

Thank you everyone :) Thats all great info!
  13. Gialana Augur

To add to what Moogs said, you can change the "/tar a" to "/tar a_" with the underscore which will target the nearest thing that starts with "a" followed by a space. This is helpful if you happen to have someone in your group whose name starts with an "A." If the corpse is something like "an umbral...," you'd need "\tar an_," instead.

Long before advanced loot, I often killed the brownies in Dragonscale Hills. Those corpses were nearly impossible to click, so I had the following 2-line hotkey
    /pause 2, /tar a_
    /loot
    Gyurika Godofwar and moogs like this.
  14. Tatanka Joe Schmo

That works, but frankly, a hotkey for the target nearest corpse function is much easier.
    Gialana likes this.
  15. svann Augur

Something to watch out for if you use /hidecorpse always is that if someone dies you wont see their corpse to drag or res it.