The old crew getting back together to play this weekend--Need Advice

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Nagluk, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Nagluk New Member

Hi guys, The old crew from back in the day is getting together to play EQ again. We want to play as a group. I'm thinking of starting in the tutorial zone, then moving on once we finish it. If we all do the tutorial zone will we be able to group? Once we leave the tutorial zone, where do we all appear? Scattered across the globe? If so, is it easy to get together again without having to spend half the day begging for SOW to run across the world to a common zone?

Any tips for guys who haven't played since 2001 appreciated.

Joe
  2. CM99games Journeyman

I started a new livestream playthrough about 2 weeks ago in the mines. We're currently up to level 72 now, but you can follow along and see where to go for each level.

Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  3. Sigpa0s Journeyman

Welcome back, Nagluk. While you won't be able to group in the tutorial (as they want you to focus on yourself), every starting city has a portal stone nearby to the Plane of Knowledge, which is the main hub for meeting up, buying spells, getting quests, and fast travel to the rest of the world.
  4. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

You can group in the tutorial too. The only part that you can't group is the very first part where you kill the jailer and get the key. But that takes like 2 minutes. Once you get to the slave revolt camp you can all group together.
    Tatanka and moogs like this.
  5. Scorrpio Augur

I assume you start on a live server. And I suppose free accounts for the time being. You will all start in mines of gloomingdeep. Once you are done with all quests in there you should be around lvl 10-11. Exiting, you will find yourselves in Crescent Reach, a new one-for-all starting zone. NPCs and guards don't care if you are Troll or High Elf.
    Note: subbed accounts get a choice of starting in the usual racial locations.
  6. moogs Augur

There are two ways to leave the tutorial. One is walking into the waterfall and the other is speaking with a barbarian named Arias. I think there's a way to go directly to Plane of Knowledge but I forget the details.
  7. Tatanka Joe Schmo

And in case you can't go direct to PoK, you can exit Crescent Reach to Blightfire Moors, and close by is a book to PoK.

Couple hints, since you (OP) don't say how long it's been since you played.
    1 - Download and install a good map pack (main two are Goode's and ???, forget the other one)
    2 - Use the in-game map (now that you have maps), and also the ATLAS in there, to show how zones connect. Also, there is a zone connection finder in game, which will help you get where you're going. Finally, use the in-game find (control-F) to help navigate to zone lines, it's very helpful.
    3 - You can get a merc right away. If you use the merc tank, make sure to set it's role to Main Tank. Also, if using DPS merc, set one of the player's role to Main Assist. And finally, if the puller has a merc, set puller's role to Puller, so the merc stays with the rest of the group in camp
    4 - ALL spells/discs up to level 70 (I think) are available in the library in PoK. So no more having to figure out where to go to get spells, or having to hunt for them.

There's probably more, but that's off the top of my head right now.
    moogs likes this.
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Go up to Arias - can even be done at level one when you make your gnome for the drunken gnome race - and /say I am ready to leave. This puts you right at the other tutorial NPC in POK by the cresent reach stone
    moogs likes this.
  9. Scorrpio Augur

Actually, from my experience, mercs tend to ignore 'Main Assist' setting. (To set roles, group lead right clicks player hp bar in group window and selects 'Roles'). MA set is more for other players. It highlights the mob targeted by MA and works with assist command. (I.e. /assist group)

PoK library has all spells up to lvl 90.
    Lvl 91-95 are in Agrath.
    Lvl 96-100 are in Shard's Landing.
    Lvl 101-105 are in Katta: Deluge.
    moogs likes this.
  10. Tatanka Joe Schmo

It's the opposite for me. If I don't set MA on a char in my group, the wizzy merc never engages.
  11. Fluid Augur

Absolutely, positively, get back as many of your old accounts as possible. You don't have to remember everything about the account, maybe email address or account name. You get *HUGE* perks for being a returning player. Even if you restart in the tutorial, the buffs and twinks you can add from your old account will make the new characters breeze through the tutorial and probably for dozens of levels depending on the level of your old characters. i.e. if you have even a level 20ish Enchanter, Breeze, Haze, et al will make the young group tough as nails.