TLP server I'd like to see.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rebel-one, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Rebel-one New Member

I'd love to see a TLP server that would start with classic content and go through every expansion including the new ones. However do so at a much slower rate. I know some of you will say 'This server or that server is already doing that and that may very well be. For someone like me that isn't good enough. I'd like to start when everyone else does brand spanking new. Kunark releases after three months and then the next expansion would be 5 months out, the expansion after that 6 months, the next 7 and make the max time between releases 6-7 months. I mean Im glad people like to raid and all that. Even I do but some folks prefer to do things at a slower pace. Let all of the raid frenzy people go to another server because this one moves too slow for them. Sounds just right for me.
  2. Marek-EQ Lorekeeper

LOL gonna assume you are a troll or you havent been around for the last two years because hello Ragefire and Lockjaw. These are the exact servers you are talking about. The boat has sailed for those servers and you missed the ride.
  3. Rebel-one New Member

If you would have actually read my post you would have caught the part where I said:" I know some of you will say This server or that server is already doing that, and that may very well be. For someone like me that isn't good enough I'd like to start when everyone else does brand spanking new." Also i haven't been around for the last two years and I would like to start fresh. I am not so sure why you sound like you have an issue with it or maybe you're the one trolling.
  4. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

It sounds more like you want a time machine.
  5. MaxTheLion Augur

I like it. They should make 24 separate servers, each locked to the 24 expansions. Server 1 is Classic only. Server 2 is Kunark only. Server 3 is Velious only and so forth. All servers except for #1 would have to start in the tutorial and once you leave it, you're dropped in "Zone" related to the particular expansion to do as you will. No server transfers of course. The idea would be to see which server lasts the longest before it becomes a barren wasteland. Then they can all be closed and DBG can spend more time and money on another server for RandomPlayer### until Everquest has to be closed due to loss of funding.
  6. Rebel-one New Member

No I'd just like a chance to play fresh and go through all of the content since I did miss the other TLP servers that did this. A fresh start. I am pretty sure I am not the only one. Time machine would be nice though. :D
  7. Rebel-one New Member

No but it would be pretty sweet if you could move between servers depending on content you're doing. That way there are always other people doing the exact same content you are around the same levels. I think that would be more of a money maker. I mean think about it.. They keep releasing TLP server because people keep wanting to go through that content. If they didn't we wouldn't have the TLP servers at all.
  8. Marek-EQ Lorekeeper

Someone makes one of these posts every few days hence the troll remark. I read your post entirely or I wouldnt have said that the boat for the server type that you wanted has already sailed. The exact servers you are seeking have already started and are in PoP or GoD at this point. DBG seems to be releasing one TLP every year or so with some variation in the ruleset; however, there are only so many people interested in EQ and at some point new servers are just not going to be profitable for DBG. I will be honest, I would be surprised if DBG did another TLP next year or ever again. Now, an event server, like Quarm, would not surprise me.

Ultimately, Bobbybick nailed it, you need to build a time machine, travel back a couple years, and you can have exactly what you want.
  9. Rebel-one New Member

If someone makes one of these post every few days then apparently there is an interest in the TLP servers and high demand. I am not trolling how do you know the other people are?. I think there is a legitimate interest by people in the TLP servers and content. I'll be glad to re-visit this subject again next year when they do another TLP server, and if it doesn't happen it'll because Pantheon releases. or something like it. I guess time will tell. Also an event server i am sure would be popular as well.
  10. Raltar Augur

That isn't true, though. Ragefire and Lockjaw are now on 3 month expansion unlocks...with a vote, of course. He wants one where all expansions last 6 months each. That is something I would be 100% down for because I don't feel 3 months is enough time to fully experience all of the content.
    Rebel-one likes this.
  11. Marek-EQ Lorekeeper

Your problem is, that everyone that posts every week or so suggests a different variation of rules. If you started a petition, somehow obtained 3000+ unique signatures supporting your ruleset, there may be a chance? I guess there is always a chance, no matter how slim the odds, that DBG may listen? DBG is owned by the investment company Columbus Nova so there only concern is money.
  12. Overcast72 New Member

Actually, it would be cool if they 'tiered' the servers. One server could be Velious Locked, one server could be PoP locked, and so on.

Then once you hit a point where you are ready to move on - buy a server transfer up to the tier you desire. It would give people options. If you want to stay Classic-Velious, you could. Classic-PoP you could do that too, maybe one or two more tiers before you are on the live servers.

I wouldn't bother playing on a regular live server; in spite of the fact that I have characters level 75 or so on at least two of them.. because then it turns into nothing but you finding a guild that'll power level you to current content. I tried that once and it was the most unfulfilling gaming I've ever done.

Now, if I know I could just hang out in classic until I am ready to move on - that would be awesome frankly. Look at how long p99 and p2002 have been running - locked all the same. Why wouldn't DBG want to capitalize on that?

• Doesn't matter why people subscribe - it's the point that they do. If I ran a business, I'd be happy that people are paying for my service. Don't really care if I find the same thing fun - point is.. it's a business for profit.
    • The most popular servers on EQ for a number of years now are the TLP servers. At this moment, Phinny and Agnarr have at least twice the population of any other server. So it's hardly debatable that they are generating revenue for DBG. Just look at the numbers of posts in the various forums - the TLP server forum has the most posts
    • The Nay-sayers back when Combine and Sleeper went live said that the TLP servers would 'bomb out' - it's been the exact opposite.
    • A tiered approach would bring in additional revenue for server transfers.
    • I'm sure TLP servers have generated more Krono sales than other servers. Because people are twinking to get a strong start and buying pre-nerfed drops for obscene amounts of Krono. Before the change in the Chancellor in LoIO - people were buying the dang Prod for 2KR or more. At some point - that Krono was sold by DBG.
    Plus, that's a good point that these posts are so popular - it would seem kinda logical then that there's a large interest in Classic servers. But the problem is the unlock timers. Some people want to blaze through - others want to take their sweet time. I played on Phinny until PoP. The day PoP went live I quit. Not because I don't like PoP, but because my real life isn't conducive to playing EQ 80 hours a week... It wasn't so much that I couldn't keep up - it was that I didn't have the desire to keep up.

I think in summary what all these posts are indicating is that people want to play EQ at their own pace. Fast or slow - it's subjective, neither is wrong. So why not develop a system to give people an option?

This isn't cable TV - wonderful things can be done in the world of computing. Tiered computing works well for data centers - why not gaming?
  13. Machentoo Augur

A thread like this comes up about once a month.

I think you are missing the big draw of the TLP's.

They are popular in part because there is a lot of population. To have a lot of population, progression has to be gated, and you have to have new servers launching periodically. You need artificial limits to keep the population together.

If they just set up a bunch of different servers, locked to different eras, and people could progress from server to server at their own pace, it would be very popular initially. And then, population would spread out. There would no longer be enough people on the first few servers to form more than two or three guilds. On the later servers, you'd maybe not even have enough players at any given time to beat the content. You'd never have the option of twenty guilds to choose from at your particular point in progression, so that you can pick one that is a good fit for you instead of the one that is just the least objectionable. There would never again be the initial hype, excitement and rush of a new TLP server launching, never again be a race among guilds competing for server firsts, never be the experience of playing with 200 people in tox forest on opening night. In other words, a huge part of what drives players to start playing on the TLP's would be gone.

On top of that, there will be no sense of community. Players will progress at different rates, and often will have to hop from guild to guild, as guilds won't move at the same pace. When guilds do decide to move together, they will arrive at a new server with the next step of progression before them, but little population present outside their own guild, no one to recruit, not much bazaar or economy.

And, unless you set up a server for every single expansion, now you permanently doom every non-cap expansion to be skipped. Who's going to ever raid veeshan's peak on a velious locked server when you can just skip to tov? Same for VT on a pop locked server, same for tacvi on an oow locked server, and so on, all the way up the line.

It would be a huge gamble for Daybreak to go this route. They'd have to go all in on the belief that a tiered approach would somehow be more popular and profitable than the current approach, because once they move to that, there will be no going back. I earnestly hope they never do. I just can't see it possibly working out, and I'm almost certain it would kill off TLP's altogether ultimately.
  14. Rampart New Member

I get where the OP is coming from. My first TLP was Phinny and I started almost at the end of Kunark. Because I came late, when Agnarr opened it was a blast for me.

That’s right, some of us haven’t played every TLP and actually are enjoying the early content... unbelievable right?
  15. Ming Tee Augur

You haven't played every single tlp they came out with from start to finish like most of the popular trolls on these forums? Wow what a loser! =P
  16. ScottKelly Journeyman

lol nrn
  17. Accipiter Old Timer

Sure, but mostly they make these posts for their 15 seconds of fame. It makes them feel good.