Best server for brand new player.

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Totalnoob, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Totalnoob New Member

Title.

I've never played an mmo with servers having different rule sets.

That said, I'm looking for the real eq experience. I played ffxi for many years. I miss the grind modern mmo players complain about. I miss the social interaction that makes these games what they are. I miss them being about the journey and not the mad rush to endgame. I've never played eq, but it's my understanding that it's the last bastion for these things.

Thanks in advance!
    Shanarias likes this.
  2. Thomasofold Elder

What ever you do, dont go on trakanon. Its very empty and this game does require at least some grouping.

Look at my dark tower post for some general tips from some other members.

But for basic rules I was recommended Cazic thule or Xegony. Another tip is to go to the home page during times you'll typically be playing and look at how many people are on.

Welcome to the servers and good luck with everquest :)
  3. asfasfasfasf Augur

The only real EQ experience is on P99. And even then, it only lasts for about 50 ish levels, then the end game is no good. But you should play there.
  4. Totalnoob New Member

Thanks for the tips guys. I see that aggnar and Phinigel appear to have the highest populations. Are these not good for a new person?

Part of the draw for me is the need to group so I guess a healthy population at lower levels is something else I should've mentioned.
    Shanarias likes this.
  5. Raytan Augur

Aggnar and Phinigel are both Time Locked Progression (TLP) servers. This means that they started in classic EQ and are slowly progressing towards live. Actually, Aggnar isn't, it won't go past LDoN as I recall. They both generally have good populations, but not necessarily new people starting out. I believe that Phinigel is currently in GoD. Aggnar does not have the tutorial, like the live servers. I'm not sure about Phinigel. The tutorial on live servers won't teach you everything, but is pretty good at passing on the basics and some gear. Also, TLP's will not allow you to play on them if you are free to play and not a subscriber.

Live servers and TLP's have their good points and bad. Cazic and Xegony both have guilds on them that are noted for helping new people, but most people on EQ are generally helpful and will answer question in General Chat or ooc. Also, there is nothing to stop you from trying different servers. Don't get to invested in a character until you sure you've found the server you think you like. Ask folks for help in the newbie channel, general, and ooc. If you're free to play, you won't have access to most chat channels, but you can still ask for help/advice in ooc, or even shout. Firiona is considered a live server, but does have a slightly different rule set. Mainly, almost any item there can be traded, they have slightly faster experience, and they do not have a common language.

Good luck where ever you end up. You can also always ask questions here on the forums, but may not always get a fast reply.
    Shanarias likes this.
  6. Totalnoob New Member

Oooh cool. So as someone not rushing to current endgame a tlp server might be a good way to go then?
  7. moogs Augur

A TLP server requires a monthly subscription. The main bonus is that it more closely resembles classic EQ and you might have a better chance experiencing what it's like to do groups at a low level. On a normal server you can try the game without paying a dime, probably by yourself unless you connect with someone else here that is just starting out or convince a friend to join you at regular times. You'll have a much better experience playing with at least one other person, but of course we're here to help you along on the side. Welcome.
    Shanarias likes this.
  8. Scorrpio Augur

Disclaimer: I have not played on TLPs so can't really say much for them. That said, I expect that vast majority of players there are old accounts, held by people who know the game through and through and been through the content before. I would also not be surprised if these servers are also rather top-heavy, even Agnarr, and grouping options are rather scarce. In fact, low-levels might be deceptively populous as people tend to create alts now and then when they feel a bit burned out on their mains. But once mid-level grind starts, those alts are quite often either abandoned or switched to high gear PL mode. You might find plenty of groups in sub-20 range, but 30s are a dead zone. Not saying that IS the case on TLP, but that definitely was the case on live back when they were in those eras.

Now consider live. First, content. It is ALL there. You want to see original Kunark/Velious/Luclin? All there. You want to see newer stuff? All there. There are a lot more options to help you along if grouping opportunities are thin. You got the tutorial, mercs, and Teek dailies that can propel you through levels and reduce grind. You can set up an extra free account to box, so with mercs, you are a team of four. There is the heroic option straight to 85, and HAs, especially boxed, can get you to max pretty quickly - IF you decide that you want that. And there is a certain charm to exploring old haunts with a lvl 105. I started epic on my mage yesterday. Was cool visiting Guk and Unrest, sneaking through, finding the way, but without the worry that slightest misstep will get you summarily slaughtered. (I get enough of that in EoK zones)

All in all, IMHO, a better populated live server offers a lot more to a new guy than a TLP.
    Shanarias likes this.
  9. Stradi New Member

I play on Agnarr and have had not trouble finding low level group opportunities. However, I have been playing EQ off and on since the very beginning so I know where to go to find groups.

The player base is friendly and helpful for the most part.
    Shanarias likes this.
  10. CrazyLarth Augur

try the command /who all #lowerlevel #higherlevel
    so if you level 30
    try
    /who all 20 40

it will show a list of peeps and your see where they are at send them a tell to see if they have room.

Good luck
    moogs likes this.
  11. Judor Journeyman

Brekt is similiar to Firiona in that just about all items are tradeable. It is a fairly low population server that has a distinct lack of trolling in general that is found on many of the higher population servers. As someone up thread mentioned - try a few different servers - run a toon through the tutorial to get the basics down, and play a bit up from there to give you a chance to see if the server is a good fit for you.
    Shanarias likes this.