Laptop Video Card

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Crazydayman, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Crazydayman New Member

My Acer Inspire 960M video card does not seem to be detected by the game. Also my game locks up once I select a character to log in on any server or zone. Suggestions?
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

The game locks due to the video card issue. Try these: Right click on the Eq Launcher and from the context menu select the 'run with this graphics card' and then select your default card you want to use. Make sure your card is used ALL the time, NOT just for gaming. This can be set in the NVIDIA control panel. If neither of those work try checking for new drivers although it may be new there may have been some updates since manufacture for your drivers. Good Luck! But the game might be having log in issues right now so that might impact things also.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  3. moogs Augur

Go to the Nvidia Control Panel, add the EverQuest executable to the list, and specifically tell it to use the 960M rather than the integrated video card. Make sure that your drivers are up to date.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  4. Crazydayman New Member

Drivers are up to date. Checked that three times. Added the executable. Gives me a server not responding message now. Added it to McAfee Antivirus (launcher) to allow it access. Any other ideas? trying not to move on to Wow but if I cant get it to run I am out of options.
  5. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

Get rid of McAfee's subpar software and stick with Microsoft Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Antimalware and ADWcleaner along with Ccleaner and Glary Utilities for system cleaning.
  6. Sarkaukar Augur

When you say it is not detected, do you mean when you use the game options in the launchpad? Your laptop will generally has two GPU, the GPU that is part of the CPU and is listed as GPU 0 and is what that options is picking up, which actually does not matter at that part.

Nvidia control panel, 3D - power management mode set from adaptive to Prefer Max performance. That will ensure EQ is using the nvidia gpu.

Start, Settings, System/Power, Power/Sleep, Advanced Power Settings, Show Additional Plans, select High Performance.

Now, for the options part. Are you playing in full screen or windowed mode? Go Windowed Mode (alt Enter is one way of setting it). This way you might see if Windows/other program is popping up an alert flag, and/or the game is trying to resolve a resolution not supported by the laptop.

One workaround is to enable DSR.

https://www.pcpowerplay.com.au/feature/tweak-your-games-for-maximum-performance,416874/page3

DSR – Factors
    DSR stands for Dynamic Super Resolution, and is Nvidia’s take on downsampling. This setting allows you to set which resolutions you want to open up – we suggest ticking every box in the drop down menu to make every downsampled resolution available.

DSR – Smoothness
    This option is only available if you check the boxes in the previous setting. When using a DSR resolution that doesn’t fit your native resolution well – say, a DSR of 2560 x 1440 on a 1920 x 1080 display – there can be some sparkling or noise found in the final image. DSR smoothness irons this out, but at high values can lead to an overly soft image. We’ve found 30 to 40 percent is a good value to keep the image crisp.
  7. Crazydayman New Member

After the character selection screen when I select a character is when the game locks up. It says eqgame (32 bit) not responding when I hit the cntrl/alt/del button. Finally got the nvidia software to run the game with the m960 card so I can right click on the game launcher and launch it with the selected video card. Wondering if the game only locks up after I select the character (no matter which one on any server what the problem could be).