Help in combo choice

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Jugor, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Jugor New Member

I am coming back to EQ and have decided to roll on Lockjaw for various reasons...mainly because I like to box for experience and like the progression server idea. Once I get caught up, I would like to raid as well. I have a couple of 6 box crews I can't decide on and was hoping to get some input.

What I want to accomplish: I would like to be able to have a high DPS group to be able to churn out some AAs, be able to complete all instanced content, be able to take down named mobs, and perhaps do old raids once the time comes.

1) Enchanter/Cleric/Druid/Mage x 3
    Pros: Super easy to box, very high dps, all buffs and bases covered
    Cons: No plate tank. Raiding will not make the center of this combo (enchanter) affect the kill rate of the group (is this true?). So no real motivation to get gear with this group. It can accomplish almost as much naked as it could raid geared.

2) Shadow Knight/Cleric/Enchanter/Mag/Mag/Wizard
    Pros: Easy to box, very high dps. If SK is main, it would seriously benefit from raiding. The rest need minimal gear to be affective.
    Cons: Not sure there are any?
    Could change out a mage for a BST which would lower easy dps, but give another slow and mana regen.

3) Shadow Knight/Shaman/Bard/Beastlord/Beastlord/Wizard
    Pros: Lots of characters that would benefit from gearing up. Should be decent DPS until Gates, then moves to great DPS in Gates (buffs landing on pets from bard and shaman), then moves to outstanding DPS once shaman gets group panther...so many characters and pets in this group that would benefit from it (4 melee and 4 pets)...
    Cons: More difficult to box with 4 melee, but saw a thread with some that think after getting used to it that this is trivial. Will not be as effective with poorly geared toons. Difficult to keep track of all those shaman buffs until they start hitting entire group. Low on healing for named (is this true?)

All of these combos seem to be rock solid, with each having some bonuses and some drawbacks. I think I am leaning more towards 2 or 3, mainly because the more interesting gearing options and benefit from raiding to group kill rate.

For the long haul, which group would you pick and why? Would you alter any of them?

Thanks for your input!
    Thomasofold likes this.
  2. Thomasofold Elder

Sorry this isn't related to your post but a question on multiboxing.

How hard your computer/internet connection is it? You do it on one computer and alt/tab?
  3. Jugor New Member

It is not overly hard on a computer. I have a crappy 8 year old computer that can easily run 4 or 5 on it. It does not appear to be trying on my internet at all. I do use I S Boxer to make it easier when I run multiples on one machine.
    Thomasofold likes this.
  4. Thomasofold Elder

Ok, great thanks! :)

I'll look into the I S Boxer , but for now I'm going to Molo/Hopefully team up sometimes.
    As long as I do all the 'actions' multi boxing and programs to help are legit? Or against the rules?
  5. mmats Augur

I box sk, wiz, ench, mage, rogue, cleric. I tear through mobs with no real downtime needed. Of course this is max level and AA...

The only thing I would do different is have a 2nd wiz instead of the rogue.
  6. moogs Augur

It's generally frowned upon but Daybreak understands that many players simply won't continue to play without 3rd party software. The attitude is permissive so long as the gameplay is not automated and does not give any other crazy advantage (there is a straight up cheat engine and there is a Linux tool...both will get you banned if discovered). You must be at the keyboard at all times, and no peeking at spawns or instakilling or any of that nonsense. Also - and this is BS - never play EQ in a virtual machine such as VMWare.
  7. Jugor New Member

Is the rogue to much of a pain to box as a melee? Why switch to rogue for wizard? What is your reasoning in adding a second wizard instead of a second mage (as I had in my setup)? Is a wizard that much more dps than a mage to justify no second mage pet for another stun/passive dps?

Thanks!
  8. mmats Augur

Rogue takes extra time to get into position compared to casters, but also does much less dps than the wiz and mage in this group setup. Also rogues need more gearing to be effective.

I have parsed many sustained lotd sessions as well as named burns, and the wiz is well ahead of mage dps in both. Mage pet stuns generally dont work unless youre fighting even/blue cons and below. Pet passive dps is meaningless since my guys dont ever run oom, they are always spamming spells.

I still like having one mage for coth, malo, and some adps abilities. They do respectable dps, just not as good as wiz.