The dark tower:Lord of the tower

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Thomasofold, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I think any of the F2P servers would be good (other than Trakanon, of course). And, just to let you know, 20-ish hours on a char is nothing. Many of us put in that many hours on a char in a week or two, and we've been playing for >years<, LOL :)

If you should choose the Tunare server, I can help you out a bit with plat and some power-leveling.

As far as class, play whatever you like. If you like warrior, stick with it. You >could< get a character transfer token, to move to a new server, but honestly, with so few hours on your char, it wouldn't make much sense. Of course, if the $25 is no big deal to you, then have at it.

For skills, open your char window ('i' key), and you will see a button there labeled "Skills". Click that to open the skills window, and it will show all of your skills, both the current values and the current caps. The caps do go up each time you level, typically 5 points per level. So if a skill stopped going up, you probably capped it for your level.
    Thomasofold likes this.
  2. Thomasofold Elder

Is this based on level? or what AA's I give? (members only?)

Is there a break down somewhere that shows what being a member gives me? I was hoping to stay f2p but might consider buying EQ for a year (Thats the best deal anyways...)

I think Im going to do some research into character classes, servers and stuff before I start a new character. I spent this morning reading over the text on the main character creation for bards, paladins and etc. Im going to look into race more (barb/human/etc). Thanks again everyone :)

D'oh! (I should have researched more and not choosen randomly)
  3. Scorrpio Augur

I really understand the frustration and it would be a shame to see interested new player turned away.

I actually recently did in Lord of the Rings Online (LotRO) something parallel to what you are doing now in EQ, going through content solo. However, that game provides ample amount of solo content, epic (main story quest) progression is pretty much all doable solo and also, tasks are clearly labelled: solo, small group, full group, raid. But case in point, I am full swing back in EQ while my LotRO account languishes unused.

EQ in general is a game fully oriented towards groups. Things became somewhat easier for soloers with advent of mercs, but it is still very tough except maybe for a couple classes (SK and Necro come to mind. Druids and Wizards can do well in open spaces. Chanters can be fairly effective with charming) But really, EQ has always put stress on grouping and most content is tuned for groups.
    On more populous servers (Bristlebane, Bertoxxulous, Xegony, etc) I ser a fair amount of lower level activity. In PoK, it is quite lively, folks asking for ports and buffs, requesting dailies in all levels from 20 to 95. On Xegony, Lions of the Heart guild is quite active at helping new people. Still, genuinely new folk are a VERY rare sight. Probably 99 out of 100 lower levels you see are alts of established players. They will typically have top gear for level, carry highest available buffs, and often watched over by lvl 105 mains. The focus of most of these characters is to get to top level asap to be effective in the most recent content. The only lower quests they might do are those that impart items/abilities still useful at top level. They have seen the content, and have no interest in going through it again. If you hook up with such players, they might take you on the leveling express, get you geared in no time. But for a new player, that might not be the best thing. You see content just flashing by with little opportunity for it to be an adventure, to be exciting, to really learn the ropes of the game. To really learn your class in a proper way. If you choose to take things at your own pace, you constantly have to look for new partners, cause the guy you group with today at 40 might be lvl 55 tomorrow. And lvl 80 in less than a week.
    When I returned after a long hiatus, my old guild welcomed me back and soon enough I was wisked off to zones where xp just flew and mobs had millions if hp, hitting for 5-digit amounts, and I was just an xp sponge, and should a mob take interest in me, I would die in a split second. It was the most efficient way to get me up to others levels, but it was also kinda boring and depressing. I ended up setting up an extra account and boxing my way to 105 at my own pace. Once in 100s, I could take part in guild activities in my full capacity. Mind, game at 105 has a lot of challenge and is a blast... Ton of things to do. And I can do things with guild, or if so inclined, on my own boxing. If EQ manages to hook you, it is definitely something you should look into. Fielding a team of two plus two mercs really opens up your horizons.
    Xyroff-cazic. and Thomasofold like this.
  4. moogs Augur

Forgive me, it's been a long time. I think the stat caps increase beginning at level 61. The AA used to be called Planar Power and there was another one that raised the INT/WIS cap further. With AA lines being consolidated and my not having played recently, that's probably not the most accurate info. Whatever it's called today, it's going to be in the General tab of the Alternate Advancement window.
    Thomasofold likes this.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

A lot of players use F2P to very high levels - I have a paladin, shami, wiz and mage that are all F2P and around levels 90 ish. You are limited to 250 AA as a F2P but when you gain a high level - say 80 ish- you can pay for one month and auto grant your AA so you will get all of the AA up to that level then go back to F2P and will keep all the AA . You can also buy an AA increase in baz but it is probably cheaper to just go paid for one month. But no one earns AA until level 50 plus. And that is when you can increase those stats. As F2P you cannot get the j5 merc - but once again you have to be level 75 or 85 to get that merc. So having a paid account will not really improve things until you are a higher level. This has a pretty good chart at the bottom http://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/Free_to_play Hopefully this will help and since your not level 50 ish then you don't have to decide as far as AA right now.
    Thomasofold likes this.
  6. gotwar Gotcharms

It's actually nice to see a new player taking things slowly with an aim to work through quests and get to know the game.

To that end, I do have some suggestions:

- Go to another server with more people. All of the servers are "top heavy" but they won't be the ghost town that Trakanon (probably) is. If you're looking for a "normal ruleset" server, Xegony/Cazic both have high populations, as do others. You can also give Test a shot, but be aware you won't be able to bring your Test born character to another server - once it's there, it's there for good. Same goes for FV. See the link in my signature for more Test-based information.

- Get a tank mercenary. If you end up subscribing, the J1 tank mercs are basically engines of indestructible destruction and will help you get through quest content way above your level until ~50-60. Even the Apprentice versions are pretty tough. It will give you some breathing room, which can be useful when you're learning the game.

- Pick the class/race that appeals to you the most. Every class, when played correctly, will have an end-game role. They all have varying ability to "solo/molo" and bring help to the groups they join. The key here is that if you pick a class you really enjoy, you'll spend more time learning to get the most out of it and have a much better play experience. Picking a class because "it's needed" or "is really powerful" is a surefire way to be disappointed and lose interest.

- Some classes are definitely more difficult than others. Don't let that intimidate you. Pick the class with the aesthetic, feel, and gameplay niche that appeals to you.

- Ask questions, make friends, and have fun. EQ is a social game and while there's not that many lowbies running around, they do exist. Don't be afraid to ask questions in your servers newplayers/general chat. Ignore the trolls (who will definitely exist and sometimes respond), they're just bitter old players like me who can only smile when we see the not-yet-shattered husk of a new/returning player enjoying the game.

- RTFF - "read the fooking forums" - You don't have to worry much about this now but later on reading can be a huge help in your journey through Everquest. You're literally playing one of the oldest active online games ever, with next to 0 in-game documentation and hand-holding. It's the "hard mode" of MMORPGs. If there's a generic, game-related question you have, chances are the decade(s) of forum archives across the web have an answer. It won't always be there, but you may save yourself a lot of time by looking around.

Good luck, and welcome to Everquest!
    Thomasofold and moogs like this.
  7. frankie78227 Augur

It has been quite a while since I played, but Trakanon Server used to be a free to transfer off server. When you decide what server you want to try you should type /servertransfer and check to see if it still gives the free transfer options.
    Thomasofold likes this.
  8. Thomasofold Elder

Yeah the leveling express isn't really for me, I think even re-starting Im going to enjoy going through it and learning (mastering) some things I probably grazed over the first time.

Those suggestions are perfect, I am looking for a 'normal' ruleset. Whats test? I'll have to look into it.\

I will try this thanks :)

Thanks again everyone. Some really great advice all around. Ill probably be playing again by tuesday/wednesday. So I'll let you all know how it turned out :)
  9. delameko New Member

Just a couple of comments on your original issues:

- This is how I did Lord of the Tower. I came back to it after finishing Stonehive, so I had decent gear. I took a melee DPS merc with me. I gave him the chest piece and then only lit one of the torches. My goal was to then nuke him down to 50% life as quickly as possible so that he'd teleport to the roof. (In my previous attempts I always go swarmed by bats). I managed to do it with only a few bats spawning. As soon as he teleported, I raced upstairs to avoid any new bat spawns aggroing me. I'd pre-split some torches into two stacks of 4, I gave the first stack to the brazier, and later, threw the second stack in when the flame went out. I focused on nuking the boss and ignored the adds, and thankfully was able to get him down.

- The bixies. Something that's really important in EverQuest is positioning. You need to find a spot that's safe from other mobs wandering into you, and that they won't respawn on top of you. This is especially important with the bixies. First, note that (unless you've already killed a lot of them) the bixies won't attack you on sight, however the wasps will, so either take the wasps out first or keep your distance. I'm not that familiar with warriors, but if you have a throw weapon or an ability that can be used from a distance, use that to pull. If not, then run up, bash them, then run back to a safe position to handle the fight (leave your merc on passive, and switch active once you're in position). With the bixies, I stood near the tree between the farm and the southern wall. It was far enough away that big wasp could pass by without attacking me.
    moogs and Thomasofold like this.
  10. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Trakanon is definitely a dead end server.

But no server is going to have a lot of people in that level range except maybe the newest TLP server (and that requires a subscription which you don't seem to have).

On Xegony atm, /who all 40 50 returns only 14 people, 4 of which are offline traders.

But in PoK there are 110 people that aren't anon/role, probably 150 total people there.

So other servers have WAY more players than trakanon.

If you don't have free server transfers off trakanon still, I'll give a similar offer as above, start a character on xegony and I can help you out with some gear/platinum (looks like you don't want PLing though).

But I think the main thing is, get a tank merc and let it tank until 60ish. You will find things MUCH easier.
    Thomasofold likes this.
  11. Thomasofold Elder

Just an update. I got bored one the other night and randomly choose between cazic and xegony. I went with Cazic. Im the same class and race (barb/warrior) and currently am in gloomindeep at level 12.

I have about 200 plat, most of the dropped gear (rufus wont drop the belt...) but I did get the quick steel orb.

I cant seem to figure out the crafting for the backpack (too low level maybe) and Im about to bake a bunch of rat stakes (also have many foods/water stocked)

Anything I should be doing before I leave?

Oh Im also using a bow this time around to pull. I seem to level my archery really slow. This normal? Or should I not bother leveling it if my main purpose is pulling with it?

_____
    Ps. I didnt even try to do the xfer, dont know why lol. :/
  12. moogs Augur

Level 12? I didn't know they even let you stay there for that long. Once you get to PoK you can go to the baking merchant and stock up on mixing bowls. They are super cheap storage for your bank and your character. I know I recorded a video on it but whatever. That's all you need to get started.
  13. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Mixing bowls? Really? Are they 10 slot/giant size slots?

I've always used deluxe toolboxes. 10 slots, giant size slots. 1 plat each.
  14. moogs Augur

I know, right? 10 slots, Giant capacity...

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=12292

I used deluxe toolboxes for over a decade and then saw another player mention the mixing bowls. They are cheaper (1 silver), weigh less (0.4 vs 3.5) and they are easier for newbies to find, making them objectively better.
    Felicite likes this.
  15. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Nice. Thanks for the tip. I wonder if these changed at some point, cause in my memory, I thought mixing bowls were 4 slot.

I will mention one advantage to toolboxes, since the extra cost and weight are nearly meaningless to most chars. When you go to open one, they open as a bag, and not a tradeskill container, unless you're a gnome (only chars who can tinker). Since we're talking about using these just for storage, that's one pro for toolboxes. Of course, if you always use the hotkey to open all bags at once, then even this advantage goes away.

Edit: OK, I'm not totally crazy. From Lucy's history tab for this item:
    Live 2014-11-21 17:21 Changed bagslots from '4' to '10'
    Live 2014-11-21 17:21
    Changed bagsize from 'LARGE' to 'GIANT'
  16. moogs Augur

That's true. I think there is a toggle to open as a container rather than a tradeskill container. Something with the Ctrl key? I'd check on this but only have internet on my mobile device until Verizon replaces my ONT.

On the 4 slots, are you thinking of the mortar and pestle? The graphic is similar and I used that a lot as a newbie to make Celestial Essence to sell. There's probably another baking-related container that looks like the mixing bowl that is not coming to mind. 4 slots and Large size limitation seems right. Mixing bowls may very well have changed. (And no, I don't care enough to dive into 8 years' worth of patch notes right now.)
  17. Thomasofold Elder

Yeah lvl 12 :)

I ended up lurking for some plat. I remember on my other character (killed that big thing and went to level 10 and left) I was short on platnium. Its much easier to get in Gloom than cresent. (Those staffs are over 3 plat, and bows over 1)

Also helped a few people run the bosses :)

Thanks for the tip about the mixing bowls. Is there a hot key for tradeskill containers? Or is it still shift+B?
  18. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Yes, ctrl-click opens as a bag instead of as a tradeskill container, but that's more work :)

For the Mixing bowl, see my copy/paste from Lucy. No need to wonder, the Mixing Bowl definitely changed in 2014. Was 4 slot/Large, now 10 slot/Giant. (Looking at the times, you may have responded before I posted my edit with that info).
    moogs likes this.
  19. moogs Augur

Ah, thanks for the research!
  20. moogs Augur

Shush! We don't talk about how to make reasonable, level-appropriate amounts of money. One of the developers goes crazy and ruins it for everybody. Plague rat tails and aqua goblins, I'm looking in your direction.