The dark tower:Lord of the tower

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Thomasofold, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Thomasofold Elder

This quest must be glitched or something...

I lit all 4 torches (suppose to stop the bat summons?) well lighting the torch doesnt hurt the guy or stop the bat summons. How am I suppose to kill 50 bats? I think this quest is a bit unfair. Is it meant for groups of like 5-6 people or something?
  2. Thomasofold Elder

seriously ready to smash my computer. I cant even run from this guy?

I just keep ending back in the room with him. (Im away from the tower running) and poof! there I am right back at the cheting defan.

I tried lighting all 4 torches (with 1)
    I tried lighting all 4 torches (with 5)
    I tried just 1 torch (with 10)

I dont get this game and am lmost ready to quit. Why is it so hard? I can barley survive any where and If I do manage to be able to kill stuff its just barley and enemies spawn so quick Im always overwhelmed...

Im sick of dying and having to go all the way back to cresent reach and load through 2 screens and run all the way back. This game might just not be for me. I might have to move on it seems.

Im level 45, and this quest is level 30-35... I just dont get what the ____ is going on.
  3. Felicite Augur

As I remember it (it was years ago), the issue is the torches go back out and the quest is really designed for a group with someone dedicated to re-lighting the torches (maybe even full time). I, too, couldn't do it alone at 45 and in the end I brought in two of my other accounts for higher level cleric+wizard and blasted everything while spamming heals.

Watching this thread to see if there is something I missed.
  4. moogs Augur

You're meant to do this with at least 1 partner. Try asking someone else to join you.

/who all 40 50

If it was me, I would just skip it since the reward for completing the last quest in this series is pretty measly. You're better off just getting some more levels.
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=3739
  5. Thomasofold Elder

I swear this game is messed up.

So now I have moved to bixie farm, so had to collect some samples and kill 10 bixies, not to bad right?
    Wrong! basically the farmers spam heal so each one takes 5ish mins to kill each one, and buzzar keeps on returning so basicly every 2 bixies I kill I have to re-fight buzzar. Its a total nightmare. I dont even see how thats fair.

Im either missing something or this game is just too hard. Hard in an unfair way. Just like the fog you cant disable that lags me out to the point of having to avoid it like the plague.

The re-spawns are getting to me big time. Its cheating as far as Im concerned. It would be easy to fix. Yes I understand that you pros are 'waiting' on stuff to respawn, but they could make it so if I just killed something (especially a boss) that it ignores me for an hour or something.

Yeah but I want to clear all my book stuff. Since the update the most players I seen on my server is 5. No one responds to shout. I have offerd high plat just to buff me...
  6. moogs Augur

The bixie zone is pretty rough at 45. You'll be okay if you can find one other player to team up with. It's designed to be a multiplayer game, after all. They don't have to be exactly the same level.

Just a tip: Older content is much easier. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EverQuest_expansions
    The zones you are playing in are from EQ's 12th expansion. If you visit content that is appropriate for your level but much older, the mobs do not have high levels of HP and Attack. You can kill stuff much faster and generally have an easier time. Plus you'll get to experience more of EQ.

Take a look at some of these tried and true alternatives?
    http://www.almarsguides.com/eq/leveling/progression/classic.cfm

You're about the right level to visit The Hole. It's a huge zone and it offers appropriate level mobs near the entrance. When you want a stronger challenge? Keep going...you can eventually get to level 60+ just in this one zone.
    Thomasofold likes this.
  7. Thomasofold Elder

I thought I was playing in the first parts of EQ? Now im confused lol. I wanted to playthrough the beginning and I thought thats where the game would have started me.
  8. moogs Augur

Right. Because the population dropped so much over the years, it was difficult for new players to find groups in the original home cities. So by default, the developers dropped everyone in the same area (Crescent Reach) to encourage player interaction. The Crescent Reach > Blightfire Moors path is very popular, but right around 45 it gets much tougher if you are soloing.

I forgot to mention that if you are planning to visit The Hole, bring some way of getting back home. Either gate potions or a click item or something. If you really get stuck, you can log out of the game and after a set period of time (30 minutes? 2 hours? I don't remember) at the character select screen you will be able to click the "Return Home" button. There is also the "Origin" ability which I assume you already have figured out.
    Thomasofold likes this.
  9. Gialana Augur

Caster mobs have always been a nightmare at low levels. Healing and gating are the most annoying things caster mobs did. Back in the day, if your group didn't have some way to interrupt the cast or enough damage, you'd be in trouble. I don't remember if it's still true, but you used to get a message when an NPC was casting gate or a complete heal. Then you could either bash/kick/slam them to try to interrupt the class or you could cast a stun or mesmerization spell on them to guarantee a casting interruption (if you had a class in your group capable of that).

Also, keep in mind that if you're fighting an NPC that is friendly with the other NPCs around, those other NPCs can cast heal, and you fight close enough to them, those other NPCs can heal the one you're fighting. In that case, interrupting the NPC you're fighting is useless.
    Thomasofold and moogs like this.
  10. Tatanka Joe Schmo

You post leads me to believe you're misunderstanding how the chat system works. Can't remember what server you're on, but unless it's Zek, there have to be way more people than 5 on your server, even at odd hours. Do you mean in your zone? If so, it could be that the people in your zone aren't really paying attention to chat (I know for me, once I'm in a camp, I hardly ever look at chat, too much else going on). Also, for whatever reason, people quickly turned against /shout, so people may have that filtered out, and are not seeing it. If you want to chat to your zone, use '/ooc'.

If you want to get buffs, go to PoK or the guild lobby. Plenty of folks there. Also, if you want to have lots of people see what you're typing in chat, use the "General" channel. When you log in, it should show you which channel is general. If you don't see it, then type '/list' to show which channels you are on. If /list doesn't show you are on General, they type '/join general'. Once you do this, it will give you a channel #. Let's assume that's channel 1. To type to general, type '/1 ..........', where the dots are what you want to type. Pretty much everyone on the server is on general, so that's the best way to get your chat seen by a lot of folks. And since you have a lot of newbie-type questions, that's probably the quickest way to get answers.
  11. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Yes, Origin AA, also Throne of Heroes AA if the account is old enough. Also anchors, if you have a house/plot to put an anchor on.
    moogs likes this.
  12. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

If your a F2P account you will only see new players chat channel. And that very well might only have 5 people. You can also right click in the typing area of your chat screen and set the channel filter there. I remember doing this quest last year on one of my boxes and I had to bring in my higher guy to finish it - but it is part of the /ach line. But you can come back when you are higher level and wipe it out for the trouble it caused you now! If your using /shout and or /ooc then only the people in the zone with you are seeing the tell.
  13. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Ah, I did not know that. Have been all-access (at least on the main account) almost all the time. Thanks.
  14. Gundolin Augur

I was never able to complete that quest solo, I had run through the rest of the zone solo without any problem but I think it is designed for a group.

Yes this was a later expansion. The area around CR was the funnel they started pushing all new players into trying to get everyone in a more concentrated area. If you go back to original 1999 EQ your starting location would very based on race, with a few options for humans.

Really if you are getting frustrated you might want to just grind xp which should be easy enough until you can reach the low 80's, and start getting groups, but even those may be scarce now. Best chance for grouping is asking in the general chat channel and hope to get lucky that someone has an alt.
    Thomasofold likes this.
  15. Thomasofold Elder

well thanks for all the suggestions guys. Maybe I need to multibox? ... I really didnt want to do that.

As for the chat thing, thanks for telling me, Ill try ooc. Also I have spent a good deal of time in PoK and have never seen anyone there.

Im actually going for the section completion thing (its full gear as far as i know)

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=5561
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=5648

are my rewards (ontop of the quests rewards)
  16. moogs Augur

Multiboxing is not really necessary. You'll get a much fuller experience if you put yourself out there. That means being proactive and sending tells to strangers. Most of the time they will be AFK, about to log off, or occupied with something else but it is absolutely worth the effort. I think I mentioned before, but your best tool is going to be a variant of this command:

/who all 40 50

It will give you a list of all of the characters online between the levels of 40 and 50 (as long as they're not anonymous). Send a tell to a few of them at a time and wait a couple of minutes to see if you get a response. You can ask to join them with whatever they are working on or if they don't have solid plans, have an option to present, e.g. "Would you have an hour or so to come with me to explore x zone?"

Just joining a guild and hoping that someone will join you on an alt or spamming that you're LFG in general chat are very passive methods. Sometimes they work but most often they will leave you frustrated. Most players are genuinely shocked to receive a tell from an unfamiliar player and will respond positively since they are probably facing the same issues and wishing that someone would pick them up and go get some XP somewhere. You only really need to find one or two people that are typically online and available to play at the same time as you to form a pretty decent group.
    Thomasofold likes this.
  17. Tatanka Joe Schmo

That really surprises me. What server are you on? Try the guild lobby. Oh, also, if you're getting to PoK from the book in (what is it, Blightfire Moors), you get to PoK in a spot where there wouldn't be a lot of people. Go to the small bank/tradeskill area, also by the Teeks, near the guild lobby zoneline. If you're not seeing more people there, then you must be on Zek, or that other server that has very few people (Trakanon?). If you're playing on one of those two servers, I'd recommend you throw in the towel now, and move to a different server. There are so few players on those two servers, there's no long term potential for you.
  18. Thomasofold Elder

Yes, I am on trakanon... You made my heart sink. The last thing I want to do is start over.

What are some of the popular f2p servers? If I am to re-start what are the best things I could do?

I do like playing the warrior, but should I change classes? I feel like warrior is a waste because I have noob gear yet all my stats (most) are maxed at 255. unless my gear or higher levels lets me surpass that?

I also feel like Im missing something when it comes to leveling. Like I bandolierd a sword/sheild combo yet my 1handed slash (190ish) didnt level up. Not even 1 level...(I tried for quite awhile) Is it because if you dont level stuff up even they lag behind and are impossible to level? Or can I only level so many skills up per level up?

As a last ditch effort, can devs or mods (what ever they are) move my character to another server? I dont want to waste the 20+ hours I put into my guy, but I'm at the point I just dont know what to do/say.

Well I do want to say thanks to everyone for all your help and suggestions. Im still scouring the internet looking for details on the tower quest but its very limited. So far all I found was that other people have had many troubles.
  19. moogs Augur

Trakanon is actually the server that people go to specifically for its low population. Man, that's bum luck.

www.everquest.com/home - Bertoxx and Bristlebane have the highest populations at this very moment. I played on Bristlebane for many years and can vouch for the people there.

If you want to move your existing character, you can buy a Character Transfer Token from /market

If you want to start over on a moderately populated server, I could help you get established on Luclin-Stromm. I can help you get to 45+ in a few hours if you decide to start over. Fair bit of warning, I am unable to commit any regular time to EQ, however I happen to have have some time tomorrow evening, Saturday afternoon/evening, and possibly Sunday evening. (I am on the east coast of the US.) Can definitely help with gear, platinum, and an introduction to a newbie-friendly guild. I'm sure that other players here will sympathize with your unfortunate random selection of Trakanon and can offer the same on their servers.
    Thomasofold likes this.
  20. moogs Augur

To address a couple of questions, your stats will be capped at 255 until a little bit later. That will unlock soon and the cap will go up by +5 per level, plus any extra points put into alternate advancement, and then the big one is heroic stats. It will happen naturally if you are a Gold member and have opted into the Auto Grant for AAs (press V to bring up that window). Likewise with your weapon skills. You can visit one of the warrior guildmasters in PoK (use Find) to raise skills if you want to spend money. You get 5 training points each time you level. Those skills are capped, but the caps will rise as you gain levels. So if you have been 45 for a while, your cap for 1hs is probably 190 and you won't see an increase until you ding 46.

Skilled warriors are in demand. They are heavily dependent on gear (so F2P is really, really tough) and getting decent groups. More than that, skilled players are in demand, so play whatever you enjoy. With mercenaries, your group makeup does not matter as much as it used to. If you are not all that skilled or well geared, what matters even more is the willingness to put the time in to doing your research and having the right attitude about learning new things. The fact that you're making the effort to post here shows that you are on the right path.
    Thomasofold likes this.