Vanilla WoW

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Herf, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Ethereal Augur

You're literally describing speculation....
    Reht likes this.
  2. Atomos Augur

First of all, it's not really that different. People who want to PVP are going to leave their PVP flag on. People who only want to PVE are going to leave it off. When you leave town, you're only going to see either PVPers or PVEers. Now you get to choose which type of server you want to play on everyday you login. This whole "they're getting rid of PVP servers" is hilarious, and not at all true. You could say they're getting rid of PVE servers too, since when you turn your flag on you'll no longer be the only person flagged in a group of PVEers. Again, nothing is really changing here.

Secondly, world PVP is as stupid as 72+ person raids on EQ. You're just a number there, and the most important abilities are usually AOEs. There's no strategy involved. Sure, it's neat to see Tarren Mill vs. Southshore a few times, just like it's neat to see 100+ people taking Naggy down once. But PVE and PVP are much much much more fun on smaller scales, where individual actions make way more difference and mistakes are more noticeable.

Lastly, I can only assume that you yourself don't like WoW PVP, so you think everyone else hates it too. It's much easier to win meta PVE than it is to win meta PVP, so of course the general populace prefers PVE. PVE is generally a list of scripts that happens in the same order every time, you always know what to expect and when to expect it. PVP isn't scripted and you never know what someone's going to do. So dealing with PVE is much easier. However, trying to deny that WoW has a massive PVP scene is silly.
  3. Jaxarale01 Augur

This was my concern, hopefully since they have a completely different team working on the classic server, they will get feedback from people that play EQ TLP's and not make the same mistakes.

Casting 1 buff and having to drink is NOT the way to endear people that want a classic experience! There are hundreds of ways they should tweak these servers before launch to help keep people playing on them.
  4. Death Strudel Augur

On the contrary, after buffing the raid like that I'm pretty happy and ready to take a nap. It reminds me of the classic experience in both EQ and how I did most UBRS runs in WoW.
  5. taliefer Augur

i have very limited experience with WoW, mostly confined to a few months during wotlk. i thought phasing was one of the best things ive ever seen in an MMO and wish more did it (phasing in swtor would have been insanely good imo), it made you actually feel like you had an impact on the world, but still maintain an open world feel. did the wow community at large not like phasing?
  6. Atomos Augur

I had the idea for phasing before WoW :( I think it's an amazing concept that feels awesome when done right, not sure why anyone would dislike it. As for linear questing... Well, I personally loathe going to a camp and collecting 20 quests. I hate it and it makes me hate questing. And it certainly makes me not care about any of the quest dialogue or the story/lore. I found I enjoyed the streamlined questing much more, only having a couple of quests at a time, and I didn't mind following what was actually going on in the story. Actually the streamlined questing makes me feel like there IS a story. I felt like the quests I did actually had purpose in the story, and not just helping Billy Joe Bob cook dinner by killing 10 pigs.

However, something you saw a lot less of post-Vanilla (still a thing during TBC but not as much I think? and I hated WOTLK so no comment there) was group quests. Some classes could probably solo them but generally you needed at least one other person to kill the elites. Just one of the many cooperative playstyle components that was removed.

Honestly there's soooo much that will need to be considered when making vanilla WoW. We forget just how much some things have changed. It's going to go through the same things we've watched EQ go through - just how much modern and QoL changes get to stay in? Where do you draw the line? If you go too far, can you really still call it a vanilla server? Despite all the modernization and QoL changes that stuck on Phinigel for example, it's been one of my favorite EQ experiences and I don't feel like the stuff such as instancing or EXP pots took away from the experience at all. Will we be able to say the same with WoW Classic?
  7. Hateseeker Augur

dnidnt swtormake extreme use of phasing?
  8. taliefer Augur

not that i recall. the open world never changed except during seasonal events. there were blocked off "group areas" that were basically just instances for group/story quests. but nothing actually changed in the open world areas.

for some reason players called these areas "phases" but they are nothing like wow phasing where the open world you can access actually changes based on quests you do.
  9. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

I didn't have a problem with phasing when it initially released, but when it combined with cross-realm "Sharding" in Pandaria era then the entire idea of a server community went out the window. One of the more interesting aspects of the earlier expansions to me (playing on an active PvP server) was seeing the same opponents that I ran into at level 20 popping up at level 60.

I understand why they felt like it was necessary, but it's one of the reasons I have trouble getting back into the game for current expansions, everyone just feels like another random face in the crowd I'll never have to interact with again so why bother building a relationship.
  10. Brovaar Elder

To quote a line from Harry Osborn in Spiderman 3... "you knew this was coming, Pete."
  11. Ethereal Augur

This, plus redesigning all the classes multiple times over made it hard to enjoy your 'main' if they changed it's playstyle to something you hated. All of the people I know who played/still play aren't playing their original class.
  12. Pikallo Augur

That is also a byproduct of the casual nature of the leveling/gearing process. They made the game so easy and so accessible that you can easily level and gear up multiple alts to a raid-ready gear level without much difficulty or time investment. So it was no big deal to just switch to another class and within a week or two, you could be ready to jump in to the end game.

This further highlights the idea of just being another random face in the crowd.
  13. Dandy Augur

In WoW community is formed through juvenile jokes, politics and flaming in city trade chats. Not by going out into the world. ;)
  14. Strawberry Augur

Are these servers actually going to be populated for new players like TLP servers are?

Because I tried WoW a few months ago with a night elf, and I literally couldn't find a single soul in Kalimdor to play with. I got invited by a guild but everyone was lvl 80 or something.
  15. Dandy Augur

Yes. The demand for these servers is very high. It's gonna be like the launch days we see around here.

Whether people will want to play with each other though... :rolleyes:
  16. Symbius Augur

Is that any different than EQ's General chat?

But, it will be interesting to see if an actual community forms with these Classic servers.

Personally, I would prefer a Progression based setup, but I don't think that is going to happen. I would be shocked if they advanced it past Patch 1.12.

However, considering they are hiring a whole new dev team for this project they may very well come out with a BC and beyond setup.
  17. Dandy Augur

Same kind of chat for sure. The difference is I never see the same names when I leave town in WoW retail. In EQ TLP I see the same people progressing and even build a friends list while grouping.

But I expect WoW Classic won't have all that cross-server fanciness like retail and I'll probably be able to make friends in dungeons. Especially if I end up rolling a healer.

I wonder if we'll start seeing the same people keep coming back if they do more expansions/server types.

Who's gonna be the Mabbu of WoW Classic? :p
  18. Nolrog Augur

I can't speak for the WoW community in any respect, but for me personally, the problem I had with the phasing is that it sometimes made it difficult to have some friends help you on a quest, if they have already done it. Because I would go into a different phase and they had to wait for me to finish to catch up to them. IMO, wasn't a huge issue for me, but we'd have to plan a bit better to work on things together.
  19. Hateseeker Augur

General chat is half the reason I ever log back into EQ!

Is there anything abusable about early WoW like there is early EQ? Anything that parallels how EQ has been increasingly instanced since 2004, but TLP takes it back to a time when it wasn't, and when you combine modern EQ's kronos, tolerance for input cloning and other boxing assist programs, etc, it leads to the expected problems with the contested content?

Whether you agree that's a problem or not, what I'm getting at is, will Blizzard have as much controversy to deal with as EQ TLP has had? And although I think Daybreak hasn't done as much as they could have (not always because they couldn't but sometimes because they actually don't think it's needed), will Blizzard also at least try to compensate for similar issues, or will they just say, "this is how it was in 2004, deal with it"?

I just think it would be very interesting to see how a completely different gaming company deals with similar issues.
    Dandy likes this.
  20. Strawberry Augur

Cool thanks. Honestly just having people in the zones at all would be an improvement just to have some company.

If it's like EQ's TLP and there's an influx of players in Damassus, Darkshore and Ashenvale, I will definitely make a new Night Elf character.