Vanilla WoW

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Herf, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Herf Augur

You know who just announced that they're working on old school WoW servers. No further details.

Guess they've been watching Daybreak and the TLP experience.
    Dandy likes this.
  2. RandomStrategy Augur

As usual, EQ did it first.
    Rouan, Miss_Jackie and skattabrainz like this.
  3. Atomos Augur

It's not that they've been watching DBG... There's a large following of players who have been demanding a vanilla WoW server for many years.

The only options this whole time have been private servers, but sadly, the private server community for WoW has made complete and absolute fools of themselves... It's been quite an embarrassment. It's something I follow because I'm a huge advocate for classic era/progression servers, especially for older games.
    JustACleric and Dandy like this.
  4. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Cya later nerds when that comes out.
    JustACleric, Reht and Dandy like this.
  5. Djonas New Member

The success of this will depend on wether they lock on vanilla only or will let it progress in the right speed over time...
  6. Mashef Augur

Let's be honest it will be fun for a while to world pvp and do some 40 man raids in that game. Hope DBG is watching and ready to roll out EQ3 instead of wasting time with new content. Their cash flow about to get interrupted.
    Xanadas likes this.
  7. Djonas New Member

If they learn something then there will be no blizz coin (or whatever its called. equal to Krono sort of) on their vanilla server to avoid "pay to win".
  8. Machentoo Augur

Yeah, I am sure they are just sitting on a new, unannounced game that's all set to be released!
  9. Vanishin Lorekeeper

This. It's kinda funny how some of the developers of WoW were hardcore EverQuest players and guild leaders. (Tigole / Furor)

Also, I prefer EQ to WoW personally, but I do remember back in 2004 when it came out, wasn't good for EQ
  10. Sakuraba Augur

Well, it was created by people who literally envisioned a more mainstream EQ experience, so it's not surprising.

I wanna see the details, but that sounds like it could be amazing lol.
  11. Vanishin Lorekeeper

This. WoW brought EQ to the masses, it makes me wonder, why can't the masses play EQ like they play WoW?
  12. Machentoo Augur

Think the answer to that is pretty obvious. WOW was designed for accessibility. A five year old kid could pick it up and figure it out (several of mine did.) The user interface from vanilla wow is still worlds ahead of EQ's default UI, even ~thirteen years later. I think we tend to forget how much stuff we put up with because we love this game.
    Chatoyan and snailish like this.
  13. Vanishin Lorekeeper

True that. Another major difference is camping items is completely different in both games, the economy, etc.
  14. Kolani Augur

That's hilarious. The devs that worked on WoW at launch are literally the players who created the raiders vs. casual divide that y'all won't stop complaining about on TLPs. Tigole and Furor may have envisioned a lot, but it sure wasn't a more mainstream EQ experience for non-raiders.
    Rouan, Rhodz and code-zero like this.
  15. Dandy Augur

I was a total snob when WoW came out. I refused to try it and painted EQ as a superior game for years. It wasn't until Cataclysm that I accepted a refer a friend from one of the guys I used to argue with. And it wasn't until 2015 that I gave it a real open-minded try.

And man.. I feel like I missed out on something special by refusing to play in Vanilla through WotLK. I love to solo those old dungeons and raids. It will be awesome to do them for real. I'm so freaking pumped!
  16. Dandy Augur

Maybe WoW Classic will have a similar story to EQ's TLPs. They got better and better over time and are eventually at a point where Daybreak can release them constantly and bring in easy money.

This might take a few attempts for them to get it right.
    PathToEternity likes this.
  17. Dandy Augur

Anyone else notice what the gnome says in the beginning? Almost seems like the devs are making fun of themselves for telling the players it couldn't be done and that the players didn't actually want it.
  18. Larsen Augur

Good stuff. It's healthy for TLPs to get people interested in classic MMORPGs. There are players who will try out Classic WoW and then find out about EQ TLPs in the process.
    Dandy and skattabrainz like this.
  19. Semah Augur

Aww, I love you Chromie.

I bet Livia that WoW would do something like this and release it just in time for Omens on Ragefire. You know, like last time. >.<
    Kattria Minx likes this.
  20. Machentoo Augur

Pretty sure that this time, Everquest expansion releases aren't even on their horizon.
    Reht likes this.