"new" 105 paladin looking for advice

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by RussPhini, Aug 26, 2017.

1. RussPhini New Member

Alright so I levelled up a paladin cos i quite fancy playing one instead of my main warrior - which im getting bored of after a long time.

Got it to 105 , about 18kAAs , got all the spells, full set of seb visibles, And the rest is T1/T2 non visibles. Should be good enough for now.... But honestly I've never once played a paladin properly (i got a paladin to 22 on agnarr!) , so im just looking for some help advice

With a cleric merc i'm able to kill single skeletons in Lceanum, but if i get an add i'm done for. I also tried to pull the skeleton named (Something wanderer) and it smacked me down in about 10 seconds

I see a few thread with advice here but all abreviated etc and i cant make sense of them as such.

Any help for a new paladin looking to molo undeads for AAs and maybe even group play as a tank for progression - looking to eventually get into raiding?

Much appreciated <3
  2. p2aa Augur

Sounds like you cast hardly any spell if you are getting killed like you are describing.
    A group geared paladin could solo the undead named you described. I'm not a paladin, but it sounds like you aren't using your heals or mitigation stuff, because the situations you describe should give you np at all.
    I don't want to sound rude, but have you taken the time to read the paladin abilities, what stacks etc ?
    Also, if you leveled your paladin to 105 in group content, you didn't experiment to see what or what doesn't work in content pre lvl 105 ?
    A good start if you want people to help you better would be for you to post your spell set and what do you cast on the mobs.
  3. Millianna Augur

With 105 and 18k aa and EoK gear you should be able to handle two. Please liat the spells used, stance, and disc.
  4. RussPhini New Member

My spell set is currently

Force of the Darkened sea
    Force of ardency
    Crush of Povar
    Crush of the Darkened sea
    Admonish
    Dichotomic Force
    Harmonius Blessing
    Wave of Grief
    Protective Proclamation
    Valiant Defense
    Staunch Stance

Using repel on cooldown mostly, and if i get an add/named im using armor of the inquisitor

I managed to kill that named this time round when it spawned, which was nice but a couple of hairy sub 10% hp moments!

Does this sound about right? Cleric merc set on balance and i changed it to reactive when i got a named
  5. Brohg Augur

It's highly unlikely that an optimal spell set includes two spells on the same timer (Force of the Darkened Sea vs Crush of the Darkened Sea); one of those two (Force, if you're fighting a mob that can't be stunned) should be another spell that you can make use of. If you're not killing stunnable mobs, Force of Ardency likewise gets cut.

For those spell slots, there's several powerful candidates in Brilliant Vindication, Grief (&Sorrow), Consecration (&Laudation), Preservation of the Iceclad
  6. Chaosflux Augur

Use grief sorrow and dicho force for quick heals. Forceful if necessary.

Chain your Hott heals between crushes and use brilliant instead of force of ardent.

Play better basically.
  7. Lubianx Augur

Remember these skellies also cast a healing debuff on you.
    You may want to RC when it's up or if worse comes to worse, throw a cure into your line-up.

You also made no mention about augs and "heroic" augs. These are also extremely important
  8. Seldom Augur

You're doing quite a bit of stuff wrong. I recommend you dig up some of the more recent Paladin spell threads etc. as many of them have some stellar info. If you don't understand the spell abbreviations used in the threads as you say then view it while logged in game and glancing at spells. Feel free to pm me or just ask here also if confused on things. From quick glance you're definitely not using an anywhere near optimal spell set, especially regarding undead hunting. Don't save Armor of Inquisitor for names. Keep it up as much as possible. You want to be rotating that and Group Armor of Inquisitor. Use First Spire aa and Epic(if you have) inbetween or stack them if needing more help. Break the habit of "saving" things, rather it be aa, disc, clickies, etc. Try to think of ways to efficiently keep things on cool down and get most bang for buck
  9. Chaosflux Augur

He's having trouble with disc rotation and spell selection as it is. Compounding that with another layer of intricacy would only complicate the matter.

Walk before you can run type deal.
  10. Brohg Augur

Hm, I agree. I don't know that those threads Seldom mentions ever say so plainly, but "step 1" is "use more stuff", and that's super important. If one paladin casts 10 spells a minute and another casts 30/minute , they're playing way different games :) It's definitely more important to add in those 20 additional spellcasts than to quibble over which spell is one of the 10.

A "multibind" setup is super helpful for that.
  11. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

I play a Pal quite a bit, my spell line up is as follows:
    Brillance (procs twin cast heal)
    Crush
    Dicho
    Force
    The lvl 97 stun/dd heal the targets target... forget the name
    Hate spell
    Stance
    2 more self spells (man this is odd i cant remember sh$t)
    Group heal yellow
    Wave of grief
    Grief

Also if named that i havent done enough to know well, I run sword/board combo with shield flash. Once that is up i hit mantle, when that is over if mob not dead i will the next defense disc. The entire time i keep repel/knight synergy rolling. I am geared well enough to 2hs plenty of named in T1 and a few T2 named.

Am I running my Pal to his best, doubtful but I get things done. Always room for improvement!
  12. kinadafz Augur

Always have your merc on reactive I found. And, block the slow casting spells. My merc never, ever, ever gets close to OOM, so there is absolutely no reason for him to ever be "efficient", just keep me alive!
  13. Macros New Member

How in the hell do you get to lvl 105 and 18k aa, and not know anything about the class? sort of sounds like you wanted all the best gear max lvl and massive AA, but didnt want to work for it.
  14. Zalamyr Augur

He's asking for help to get better. You really don't need to respond to every help thread where somebody is leveled and AA'd with "lol how u get so high and cant play lol".
  15. Brohg Augur

I'm'a go with "and he got it"! so... good job, congrats to him :) Now he'd like to learn how to play, which is nothing except admirable for a player :)
  16. Kolani Augur

Agreed with the above two posts, I still think of myself as a ranger main, even though I haven't logged into her for a full play session since Memorial Day weekend when I leveled up my shadowknight. I wasn't very good at it when I was starting, I always had agro problems with a particular raid equipped ranger, but after watching other shadowknights and asking questions, I don't have issues with him much anymore at all.