Necromancer DOT updates?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Anon, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Wyvern Lorekeeper

To be honest I have given up on seeing any changes to Necro DoTs. I just don't think they even want the class around anymore. Necros have suffered alot of nerfs in the last 2 years and not a word or hint that anything will be done to help with dots. I do not even bother with my necro much now. I login to fix some hot buttons that got nerfed each month and that is about it. I can do ALOT more dps, buff, heal, adps, etc with my shaman.

I outlined what was needed 2 years ago to get our dots consolidated and still not "break" the game. It is laughable how badly they missed the target on boosting other class dots. All that was needed for necro consolidated dots was a 30-40% base increase in damage in most cases. Some dot lines would have to be shortened in duration to make up for having less options:
    • Wound dot would need to be dropped to 42s duration just like the shaman versions are now.
    • Swift dot cast times need to be near instant (0.5 sec at most) to help dps in the group game and have no timer or at least faster recast timers (I recommend 18s - not 24 seconds to match Swarm and Combust Bones). All 5 swift lines need to be usable (just like shaman versions) in group content and maybe even in raids.
    Side note: I still think it is funny they did not consolidate SK dots. SKs rarely load more than Bond. If for some reason an SK is in "DPS" mode and dotting he/she is likely in group content and not taking up spell slots on a raid mob needed by some other class (shaman/druid/etc). The fact is all SK dots have a 3 sec spell bar lockout (double the normal lockout) and are weak garbage making them not very viable. Just boost SK dots by 25-30% and combine them and be done. I do not recall the last time I loaded a DoT spell set on my SK.
    Vexana_Lanys likes this.
  2. bbanz Elder

Yes, I also have given up on my necro. Now with the SCS fixes, my shaman can dot in groups without worrying about agro. Pump out much more dps and heals.
  3. Israfel Elder

Bard DoTs are great DPS in small groups. For everyone's information, we have 4 and they tick for a bit over 20k and crit for around 80k. If you have all the type 3 augs, you can sing a 6 song melody and the DoTs don't drop. If you sing a 7-song melody, they will drop, but they will refresh in time to tick (generally)

A lot of bards don't realize that most of our ADPS songs are not as great as they used to be. As a result, our DoTs are often the most effective thing to sing outside of raids and stacked groups.

Edit: I say they are "great in small groups," but what I should probably be saying is that they are better than our other options when it comes to sustained damage. They aren't exactly "great" by most measurements, but when you are a bard, you take what you can get.
  4. Tevik Augur

This was all I was trying to imply by my comment. They're not bad, for sure. They're usually better than our 5th or 6th song even in a full group. But it's not like they're even in the neighborhood of dots cast by other classes (nor should they be).
  5. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Ship to ship combat before Necro/SK DoT revamp? :(
  6. Bobsmith Augur

Maybe ship to ship combat is how the dot revamp will be unlocked. I'm sure there will be a huge dps check tho.
    Emphant likes this.
  7. menown Augur

With timed boss power-ups!
  8. EQplayer01 New Member

What is most infuriating about all of this is that the devs never responds to one of these threads. Just knowing it is being worked on but will not go in for X months would go a long way.
  9. ShadowMan Augur

Its been 19 months now? They have had all the time in the world. I realize tuning has 2 months to go on beta but if the spells pulled on eqresource currently fall anywhere in the ballpark by beta end for druids, shaman, enchanters and others then there is zero reason to be playing a necro.

Grouping a priest class will be better dps in any setting.
    Raiding would probably be split down the middle with only some settings letting the necro win and any burst or tons of trash events and the priests blow them away. Putting the nights total well in the priests favor a priest class.

R.I.P necros if they devs don't wise up and make the necro dot revamp a priority this beta or realize they drastically over tuned dots for druids, shaman and enchanters and cut about 50% of their new dot power away.
  10. Cicelee Augur

Maybe they are doing the revamp on the level 106-110 dots and have them linked to the 1-105 dots so that the 1-105 dots get greyed out when you use a 106-110 dot? Instead of spending time going backwards, just make it right going forward?

I dunno.
  11. fransisco Augur

Honestly, what can a dev say?
    If a dev actually said something in one of these threads:
    1. EVERYONE will attack him
    2. NO change to necro dots can make everyone happy - so people will be angry
    3. Necros especially love drama, so see #1.

What can the devs do?
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  12. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Finish it, already, so we can move on.
    ShadowMan likes this.
  13. ShadowMan Augur

2 hours with an endgame necro being honest and they could have wrapped this up a year ago.

No class should have gotten a base dot over 15k unless it was group only.
    Druids, shaman and enchanters were treated like classes that have zero dot tools just because their passive dot stuff was lower than necros or they had fewer dots. But they have twin cast tools, crit mod tools, crit rate tools that in some cases were actually better than necros or even if worse when you pair them with the insane base power they gave them they just do crazy things. Even with better passives and activatables it should not take a necro 2 to 4 spell casts to catch up to a single dot cast from a priest or support class.
    Chromatic haze working for some priest dots was a massive mistake.
    Raid necros just need what they use consolidated, 20 dots damage becomes 12. Mana needs to be watched since this is primary form of spam dps for necros.
    Group swift dots should be like shaman and druid versions recasts removed and base damage doubled or tripled. Mana watched so they can be used as primary dps and not only on gift of mana procs.

Instead we will see the bulk of beta used to name spells.
  14. fransisco Augur

You sound like necros are the only ones allowed to do serious damage with dots.
    Your close doesn't actually own anything. Its a game, get over it.
  15. ShadowMan Augur

Whats your gripe? You must play a priest class.

No one owns anything but things nukes and wizards get the best of the best. Since day 1.
    No one owns anything but things dots and necros get the best of the best. Since day 1.
    Not even arguing necros need the best of the best anymore on an individual dot basis but they shouldn't be low man on the totem now either, with the only fact saving them being they can cast 20 spells for the time being. I am sorry if in your world its ok for a priest class to cast 4 dots and do what it takes the actual dps dot class in game 10 or 15 dots to catch up.

Priests should be able to do respectable dps but they should not be exceeding actual dps classes at dps. Right now both of them can beat actual dps classes never mind what happens with these new spells according to eqresource. Enchanters as well are capable of exceeding many dps classes prior to their new dots. All because their dots where tuned way to high for the tools they have during their revamps.
  16. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Have to slightly disagree here, and yes, I do main a Druid.

The DoT gains were nice, but I still don't use them in the group game (and, no, I don't raid).

Why? My DoTs, other than 1 line, all last way too long. In the group game, I'm downing mobs in ~20-25 seconds. By the time you allow for a debuff, and a slight pause to make sure the tank has agro, and you're getting maybe 3 ticks of a 10-11 tick DoT. Yes, the ticks are nice and big, but the mana cost of the spell just isn't justified. If I use them, then I kill ever so slightly quicker, but have to take many more med breaks. Not worth it.

Face it, this was a change that was only really intended for the raid game (they even said so, because of mob debuff slots). The only reason it rankles (and believe me, I completely understand) is because necros STILL don't have their revamped DoTs. I'm confident once you get them, they will be amazing, and all of us other DoT classes will be jealous! At least, that's what I'm hoping.
  17. menown Augur

DoTs still have their place, even if you do not raid. If you are not in a fast dps group or you are soloing or you are killing namers/high hp npcs. Think about this upcoming expansion. You will be starting out at level 106 for level 110 content. The hp increase on all NPCs will be huge.

Calculate out how many ticks from your DoT you will need for it to be about as effecient as you best DDs. You might be surprised.
  18. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Well, I don't even have EoK yet, so it'll be a while til I fight mobs with that many HPs :)
  19. menown Augur

Nope. Doesn't look like it on Beta
  20. Siddar Augur

This is why they have made such a terrible mistake here. They have let so many classes to take for granted their new found DoT power. That when their certain fall from this unearned position occurs the shreaking and whining not mention just general autistic reeeeeeeeee will be deafening. They have allowed this folly to go on for over two years now much longer then originally intended.

I expect they will lose accounts over this as classes suddenly stripped of their new found power shrink back to normal. That's also the reason they have put off redoing Necro DoT for so long. Because they know that the backlash from putting final class corrections and then inevitable nerfs will be.