(Possible) Arrow Upgrade for Rangers

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Turoq, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Turoq Journeyman

Currently all classes who use a bow use:

(Which looks to have been implemented during TDS due to the need for Relic Fragments in the combine)
    [IMG]

While not all of 'said' classes will use it because it does in fact take a pricey/rare component to craft, they are still nonetheless ABLE to use it. I was just curious as to why at this stage in game that there isn't an arrow(much like the bow) that is made specifically for Rangers.

Also a suggestion, if you didn't feel like creating a new arrow just for rangers, there is the:
    [IMG]
    (The only bad this about it is the [Expendable] tag it has)

When it was current it 'may' have been an overpowered items for a Ranger with endless quiver, however now it seems like a nominal upgrade over 'Ancient Arrows' for specifically a ranger to use, if the [Expendable] tag was in fact removed.

Lets face it, no other class that can use an arrow is going to farm that mildly involved quest to attain stacks and stacks of those arrows. The only class that would truly benefit from having the [Expendable] tag removed is a Ranger, and could also make it exclusively, Ranger only.

Again, these are all just suggestions, unless of course you have something similar already in the works for the upcoming 'Ring of Scale' Expansion.

Thanks for your time,
    [IMG]
    Ratbo Peep likes this.
  2. Lifeshriek Augur

Bards and other puller classes could potentially benefit from Shadowspike Arrows range and All/All status especially paired with something like the plane of war access quest bow, Zekarian Stonewood Compound Bow, which also has a decent range given they have extra time on their hands. For the SoS mobs you need to load an ae deterimental song/AA as a bard for example to agro them since they are non kos.
    IMO, if this does get changed there isn't a reason to take other classes off of it especially when no classes but rangers can make use of Endless Quiver AA anyways. Other than that, carry on.
  3. Thraine Augur

A few months ago i redid the erons quest just to get to that point where i could farm and make these arrows again, just to see how much dps they added, so i made about 300 of them. the dmg increase wasn't as much as i thought it would be. it turned out to only be about 15% dps increase on the top end. cause as we know spells make up 65% of our dmg, so a 30% increase in archery alone is only about a 15% or less over all increase.

aside from the less than awesome dmg these arrows were putting out, i went through all 300 in like 5 mins or less lol
    svann likes this.
  4. roth Augur

Imperial Messenger, with a pair of 10 damage augs, is 208 damage.

With the 23 damage arrow, it hits as a 235 damage weapon.

Swap that to a 50 damage arrow, and it is 258 damage.

258/235 = 1.09787 ... or under a 10% increase.

While removing the Expendable flag would be nice, it would not be game-changing. That said, I do not expect that to happen until regular arrows are over 50 damage already.
  5. Brohg Augur

o_O

Grace, with +11 and +12 augs, is 245dmg. Go on.

Maybe you meant to use something "accessible"? Darkened Wind Saber from HH Sebilis out performs Imperial Messenger last I checked, thanks to having the good EOK proc:

Darkened Wind Saber with +12 (group item, just one aug slot. still no call to use shabby ones.) is 163dmg
  6. fransisco Augur

archery damage isn't calculated like melee weapon damage is.
    +1 damage to the bow does much more than adding +1 damage to the arrow.

At one time, a dev played around with making ranger only arrows, but they found such a tiny change in dps, it was abandoned.
    Larger arrow damage is like turning your armor orange. Its only for gratification, you don't really gain anything.
  7. roth Augur

Way to ignore the point I was making, Brohg. Upping the arrow damage would not be huge.

Francisco, the total “weapon damage” for an archery attack is the sum of the bow and the arrow damages. Raising the bow’s damage by 1 point has just as much impact as raising the arrow’s damage by 1 point. Arrows are, ultimately, the first implementation of a damage augment in the game.
  8. fransisco Augur

proof? In the past, there has been multiple threads discussing how arrow damage is not the same as bow damage
  9. roth Augur

I would ask when and why you would think this has changed?

Its always been the case, “weapon damage” for archery calculations is the sum of the bow’s damage and the arrow’s damage. “Back in the day” a 15 damage bow and 8 damage arrow had the same max hit as a 20 damage bow and a 3 damage arrow, for example.

The following is self buffed only, no short term buffs like GotF either :
    Making a 3 damage arrow, and putting a pair of 10 damage augs into my bow, brings me to 205 damage in my bow, and 3 damage arrow, right? Max hit on target dummy is 8095, 23022 high crit.
    Taking both out and going back to a 23 damage arrow (185 damage bow, 23 damage arrow) gives me : 8095 damage, and 23022 highest crit.

VERY easy test to run.
  10. Raptour_MT Elder

To keep something like this out of the hands of the TLP servers they could add a guy in the new expansion where you just turn in an old shadowspike arrow, do a quick quest and he gives you a new renamed arrow that isn't expendable with the same or better damage. Or could just be a straight hand in, arrow and 10k plat or some such.

They honestly need to look at increasing bow ratios as it stands. It is a two-handed weapon, it should have two-handed ratio. Two hand weapons are 13.72 currently, Bow is 8.88. It should be about 10-11 base ratio, with augs pushing it a bit higher, but still less than two-handers if that is their intent. At least put in the the pal/shd ratio range which is 10.76. At 8.88 it is worse than mnk/bst weapon which is 9.2.
  11. Brohg Augur

These numbers don't exist in a vaccuum. Is there some justification why ranger archery dps should be 1.5x higher?
  12. Just_Another_SK Elder

please remember that rangers get what is it now 8-10 ranks of archery mastery? thats a massive dmg increase ontop of the ratio, not to mention other AAs like bow mastery, ranged finesse, trickshot (when capped now makes double bow shots 50% of the time) - all these need to be considered when comparing ratios - I know SKs get some 2h boost AAs just dont know enough about them to contribute to how much they help
  13. Raptour_MT Elder

Are there no similar AA's for 1 hand damage or 2 hand damage? Don't melee weapons double attack? Even Triple Attack and Flurry? Do they not get a crit increase and a % damage increase AA's? Why should monks, pal/shd 1 hand weapons be a higher ratio?

Yes there are aa's to increase damage for both melee and archery. But is beside the point. It doesn't change that ratios on bows are still lacking and have stagnated over the past 10 expansions. It's something that needs to be addressed.

It would not be a 1.5x dps increase, as mentioned earlier, these numbers don't exist in a vacuum.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  14. Just_Another_SK Elder

Sorry dont know how to quote but here goes a try

I agree with you and did mention Im not familar with what Similar AAs SKs get, My main is a ranger, I love how bow is more viable and in some situations even out does melee ( recently studies some parses that showed with no ADPs or with only BsT dicho bow came out ahead, in other group makeups melee still pulled ahead) but I Digress, I just wasnt sure about this - Say they made BoW and Sk/Pal ratios the same, now add in all the AAs I know about for my class, I just dont think ..I could be wrong) that knights get an AA that literally ups 2h damage by 200%+ which is about what archery master does for us now, cant look at exact % my Server is down atm, however AM3 was =100% iirc and now there are 8+ ranks - if assuming we had the same ratios as knights wouldnt we be doing 300% base ontop o sharing the same ratios? that would be baseline before adding any other melees like + crit + double attack etc which both classes share.. I dont know i may be wrong as I said My forum name isnt based on the class I play so there are alot about knight AAs i do not know
    anyways thanks fo your input /cheers

Ps - lol edited to try and quote correctly if it didnt work this time someone mind telling me how? I Assumed it would be
  15. segap Augur

It doesn't matter what bonuses each type of damage has. Have you looked at Ranger ranged dps in EoK? It does not appear to be lacking in terms of balance. It's quite strong at this time. The actual numbers in comparison to other classes and even other Ranger abilities is what matters. Not cherry picked variables that go in to a much larger equation.
  16. torach Journeyman

Skybreaker is good. Mine has Tears of Alaris, +12 dmg type 4 from Crypt of Decay, Polished Stone of the 11th Hour (11th anni raid aug, looking to replace it sometime...) and type 5 resplendent sullstone of deftness.

I do enjoy meleeing more than bow. Way more options.
  17. Brohg Augur

Insigni Saevus
  18. torach Journeyman

Thanks! I'd rather put relief adornment in there when and if I finish it. So close! Also bow is skybarrage not skybreaker.
  19. Brohg Augur

over a +dmg augment? in your weapon?
  20. Thraine Augur

if you stack 2 dmg augs in your bow (grim momento and insigni saevus) youll produce a lot more dps than you will swinging around swords, but to each their own.
    Fuelforfire and Gyurika Godofwar like this.