Best way to powerlevel from 85-100

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by kinadafz, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Hmm... upper floors...
    I always find myself in the tunnels in that zone somehow lol
    (Respenent Temple is of many zones i do not know that well since it was released during my absence and long-outdated when i came back)

I know valley fairly well though, and apparently "better" than the above poster who introduced the "Valley500" :p
    While it's a nice name, the approach is all wrong!
    You "have to" go zig-zag (and sit idly at intervals to let mobs catch up so you do not loose agro to out-distancing them as you go from north to south).
    Oh, and do a few circles in between (Bards know full well what i speak about hehe).

Basically all one has to know is what assists/transfers social agro to which in order to pull a nice-sized amount of mobs and leading them to their all-too-sudden ends...
  2. gotwar Gotcharms

You can do that, but if you don't time yourself properly you'll be sitting waiting for repops with nothing to kill. The reason why you do the two loops as mentioned in the above post is so that you always have swarms of 20-30 to kill. By the time you do the second loop, the mobs at the beginning of the first loop will be up.

You also don't really have to worry about aggro drops due to distance because you're stopping to kill about 1/4 of the way through each loop. Obviously the more mobs you get, the more you'll need to stop to let them catch up thanks to rubberbanding.

The idea is to keep the fastest/most efficient clear path throughout the PL. When doing this with a tank, it's very easy to kill too fast and be left with nothing to do.

[IMG]

That's 2 hours and 2 minutes from 75-100. The 100-105 portion of the PL for this character was done in Brother Island for a contest. If your approach is "better" I encourage you to post the results!
  3. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Oh, i can't (and won't) enter a "PL contest".
    Even less so live vs. test.

It's not how i work either - i am not after a record or anything.
    It suits me perfectly to clear a zone or area and enjoy the downtime while waiting for repops, watching TV or something.
    There's also a certain thrill involved when i do that, as that many mobs as i pull can quite well kill me in an instant (i am WAR, not SHD).
    The "camp out and save lesson" works for me, but is kind of counter-productive to the kind of "achievement" such as linked as well.
  4. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Well, you're the one who said you knew better.

Also "The "camp out and save lesson" works for me, but is kind of counter-productive to the kind of "achievement" such as linked as well."

The screenshot showed actual clock times (3:30am to 5:30am, not /played times). He didn't camp out and save lesson. Granted, XP was twice as fast because test, but still, 4 hours on live to go from 75-100 in one zone is pretty good.
  5. CrazyLarth Augur

what ever zone you decide to do this in make sure to look for Kills quests for the lower level toons for bonus EXP. Valley has 7 kills quests.

I have been taking the slow approach I do the two lvl 95/90/85 Pok quests but But I been lvling 4 boxes up, I might try just one toon one of the suggestions above. Thanks.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  6. kinadafz Augur

Here is the update of what I did, just as a quick test last night.

I went to Fear plane in HoT, the current lvl 90 hot zone, and basically just walked around the zone killing everything in site. I have macro'd follow keys, and macro's attack, so I had a full crew just plowing through the zone. XP was pretty fast here, I'd say around 3 orange bars in about 30-40 minutes. I had xp sharing on.

I then went and did a gribble, the first / easiest one. I did this with my regular crew, but replaced the bard with the shaman. As expected, it went a little slower, but I never died, which was key haha.

I was very, very disappointed in the XP received, however. I popped one of the 10 xp pots you get from the /claim (not sure how much bonus it actually is) and I only got about an orange or so, maybe orange and a half.

I had xp sharing on from my warrior to the shaman, and it looks like you can only share xp from one toon to another toon, cant do multiple toons to one toon. I don't think this matters as I read xp sharing doesn't affect HA's experience.

I campfire'd back to Fear and logged, so I'll finish the xp pot there, or at least I was planning to until this super cool 500 loop came, which brings me to my questions.

I have a 105 warrior at my disposal. He is not super geared, but not terrible. He has 2 EoK weapons, and a mix of EoK and TDS tier 3 gear. I do not have all the slot 5's filled out yet, I think 2 or 3, and I'm focusing on hDex.

I am no stranger to mass pulling. Not sure if anyone is old enough and remember this, but I had an earthshaker back in the day and did "shakerpage" pulls. The weapon had a proc of earthquake, an AE proc. So, you would pull the entire zone, pop riptoste disc, and everything would die instantly. But, you had to learn the mob pathing, lag, rubberbanding, etc. What I'm getting at is I am no stranger to running in circles to tighten them up, not running too fast or you lose them, etc.

This leads me to my question. Without this weapon (which procc'd on a riptoste, so almost instant millions and millions of damage from one click), you are relying on a high damage 2 hander. what would be high enough of a damage to kill everything in 10 seconds?

Next question is since the best route is just to kill with the one toon, and pop a merc when needed, i'm not sure I can handle 20 mobs at once with my current gear / AA's (around 9500 or so). Would it be quicker to bring in my zerker with my warrior to kill faster / get more xp?

I will definitely play around with this tonight, and the mass pull / proc riptosote disc is by FAR my preferred approach. It may seem more dangerous, but if your weapon is good enough, it is safer once you learn the pull path. And, like others said, you can log out between pulls and watch TV. Or, in my case, go kill on another toon or something, or work on my 2.0 with other toons - plenty of stuff to do between pulls.
  7. Geroblue Augur

Would that Valley500 work for an 85 HC moloing ?
  8. Geroblue Augur

I forgot to add, I have 21 of 23 expansions on the account I want to do this with. Nothing special in the way of weapons or armor.

I can link my Magelo characters I want to do this with if that info is needed.
  9. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Duh...
    I responded to the "have to" and the "else you smell and ..." in a similar joking way.

Exactly my point - camping out is counterproductive to that, as are perhaps the longer pull-times and a mass-kill vs. the "kill a bunch constantly".
    But one suits ME better than the other.
    So entering any kind of contest... "why"?
    Fast-PLing is all about mob density and swarm-ability - that's all.
  10. kinadafz Augur

I tried my first mass pull, probably grabbed about 60 mobs. I popped a few disciplines, just to test everything out.

I popped the following:
    Vehement Rage
    Rage of Rallos zek
    Furious Discipline
    Rampage
    Stormstrike blades

Here is what I learned on my first pull, which was just a test.

I have to re-learn the rubberbanding, it was intense. I popped my disc and wasted about 1/2 of it at least due to ghosting / the mobs weren't at me yet.

When disc stopped, I died instantly, as expected.

I tried with whatever 2 hander I had, a Cleaver of time. I am going to go buy a Sol Ro Spear, the highest DMG one I can get right now (NOT dps, but straight dmg for riptoste). I also plan to buff up my damage shield from the mag. And, I plan to put the mag outside group and spam AE nukes. so, my path of events are as follows:

buff
    pull all mobs
    circle a few times to tighten up the mobs
    let them ghost past me about 2 times, maybe 3, then pop all disciplines
    spam AE nukes on mag

I could see mobs were at about 50-60% health when I died.

Basically, I think it's possible with a little tweaking What sucks though is half the stuff is not kos to me, so I can only grab the animals basically.

I'll try this again tomorrow, for now, wife faction sucks, must fix.
  11. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Sorry, I misread your original camp-out comment, thought you were saying he was camping out.
  12. Tucoh Augur

I've leveled about 8 characters now via fellowship XP, it's what I recommend for anyone with a boxed group, especially one that is still gearing up but can kill pretty steadily without the new character. Just fill their fellowship XP, then bring them in and burn it, rinse and repeat. By the time you get hunter achievement done in a couple zones you'll probably bring an 85 heroic char to 105.

Beyond being an easy way to avoid having to deal with learning to play a sub-105 character or play in zones that don't provide good loot, you can get your new character EoK gear while you do it.

Hitting 105 and having a fully geared character you know little about presents a steep learning curve, but it's not insurmountable and gets easier the more you know about the game.
  13. Phrovo1 Augur

no, you'll be lucky to kill anything if you're not a root or kiting class
  14. Scorrpio Augur

Valley is from VoA and is lvl 90-95 oriented.
  15. kinadafz Augur

Lots of recommendations to do EoK - remember, I only have EoK on my warrior, not the rest, so that is not an option.

I'm gonna give this mass pull a couple more tries as I think it will fit my style perfectly - kill in mass, wait 30 minutes, repeat. The fear pulling was so boring running around killing everything I could see, I got tired very fast. I ooc'd all the named drops I left, only to do a /who and find out I was on the only person in the zone, woops haha.
  16. Aurastrider Augur

try calling rots in general if this happens. When I was working on my hunter and progression for VOA about a year ago I actually had a couple of different people camping near me to get all of my rots for all their alts. I probably geared a couple dozen different people while I was there. A lot of that stuff is a nice upgrade for returning players who went heroic and cant actually take on any of those mobs and need help with gear. Plus keep an eye out for big bags. I got two big bags from named alaran there in one day. Had much better luck there than I have had in any other zones in the last year.
  17. Geroblue Augur

Thanks ! Better to know ahead of time, and not get my character killed a few seconds after entering a zone.
  18. kinadafz Augur

2nd attempt, terrible, freaked and popped disc before they were anywhere near me, only got them to like 70% using about 1 second of disc. Gonna pull small groups waiting for refresh and see how that goes.
  19. Bashiok Crownguard Augur

if you enjoy this game style, play an action rpg like poe or d3.
  20. kinadafz Augur

So far, the 500 strip, from what I can tell, is geared towards high end players with great gear. I cant 'handle more than 5 at a time safely, so pulling 20 is a no no. Hence, this method is just killing any lvl 90ish mob quickly.

Argoth is the hot zone now with the server reset on Tunare, but shaman is lvl 90 now, so I'll want to go to the next one, Replesdent temple or whatever it's called. I'm not sure I've killed there much, so i'll see how that goes.

I'm just doing a daily HA, then campfire to either do a gribble or do the xp pot in the daily. I can now do a gribble in about 18-20 min. A daily and a gribble on an xp pot net about a level so far, which probably takes about an hour.

So, as it sees the best route is just dragging him along on my box crew. Sure, I get to learn how to play the shaman again, but I was hoping to do that from 100-105. he has already saved me from a wipe at least 5 times.

Bashiok, your comment was completely wasteful and brought no good information to my question. Next time, just don't bother commenting if you don't have something good to contribute. There are hundreds of things I want to do in EQ. A couple of them don't require me to box, like 2.0 on my zerker. If I could mass pull, then wait 30 minutes, then I can do 2.0 in-between. Why in the world would that mean I should play an action RPG? Just leave this conversation.