How would you vote on someone who causes Project 1999 drama?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Tinytinker, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Tinytinker Augur

Would you vote no on an app if they had a history of drama or judge them on your own experiences with them? An app who wants to be in my guild is very active over on the Project 1999 Rants and Flames boards. I scrolled through their posts and saw them mocking autistic people, saying nasty things about women, and stirring up drama. They are being a model citizen right now...but then most people are when they want to get into a guild.

I am not sure I'm willing to take the chance with them given their love of drama.
  2. Aurastrider Augur

Always go with your gut. Obviously if you are questioning this person here you already know the answer. I had a similar experience in RL when I was in charge of hiring people. One applicant came in and she had been in a chemistry class I took. She was disrespectful towards the teacher and always showed up late. Before we even started the interview I already knew she would not get hired because of my knowledge of her ethics and general disrespect for authority. Send them a friendly reply that you feel at this time you feel they would not be a good fit and leave it at that. Adding a warm body to the roster that might be a plague to your guild is not worth the numbers imo.
  3. Death Strudel Augur

Irony is only for other people.
  4. an_ogre_monk00 Elder

If he causes drama in your guild, kick him instantly. If you find out he pays money for CBS Now, he is clearly a shameful person, but as long as he doesn't bring that to your guild, it's not your concern.
  5. Tinytinker Augur

I am aware posting this could be construed as ironic. However, I believe it's a good idea to get a second opinion before I make a potentially hasty decision.
  6. Numiko Augur

if he's a cleric or shaman vote yes, any other class vote no :p
  7. Meaghan Stormfire Journeyman

That sort of thing would be an instant no with me. Any guild I run has always had two basic rules: No Drama Queens, No D-bags. He sounds like both.

There was actually a third one, but it's been so long I forget what it was. :p
  8. Religious Elder

I'm more surprised by the fact that your guild cares enough for it's players opinions to allow voting. In my experience, there will always be drama among players, and everyone has a super special snowflake situation that makes their opinion more important than the health and wellbeing of your guild.(Health being used here in reference to the size and ability of your guild) Players can be very different when guilded with you than when you're a "random". As such, when I'm asked my opinion regarding a player, I share my opinion on their....for a lack of a better word, "skill" rather than my personal feelings. I'm of the mind that if they can perform, I'm willing to overlook some personal feeling regarding any single player, to an extent of course. Your leadership should have the final say in all decisions, and retain the right to kick players as necessary. If this player proves to be a toxic tumor, then remove him.
    Gingyr likes this.
  9. Reht The Dude abides...

You can always give them a try and kick them the first time they begin stirring up drama.
  10. Gingyr Elder

Pretty much this. Even though i disagreed strongly with some apps, several of them proved to be great guildies. Some proved to be complete asshats. Thats the nature of things. There were guildies i had on ignore for pretty much my entire playtime. They did their job so i can put our differences aside to accomplish the task at hand. No different than any job or sports team really.
  11. Nolrog Augur

Are you sure it's the same guy? There are sometimes people with the same name.

I was thinking the same. If they are being a model citizen, why not give them a chance, but drop them at the first sign of drama.
  12. Tinytinker Augur

I'm not 100% sure. The names are the same, but the behavior is very different. The person in Rants and Flames instigates drama, eggs other people on, and acts rude. Guess we can give it a try and if they act poorly take action.
  13. slayerofbats Augur

It is most likely the same guy unless the name is a very common one. I wouldn't accept him and I would tell him why.
  14. Chatoyan Elder

Once an idiot, always an idiot. Someone's not going to magically turn into a well-behaved person just because they join your guild. Better to steer them towards a guild more tolerant of asshattery, and save everyone the inevitable hassle.
  15. Aziuno Augur

Be blunt.

Talk to them in person (preferably via voice comms) and say 'Hey, this is what i see on P99 forums' and make "I" statements, and hear their response. Communication is key if you are going to give them a chance (honestly at this point second chance)

Example I Statements "I worry about additional drama being brought to my guild, and I stumbled upon these posts with a same username."

Don't directly point at them, as they will then become defensive. Keep it all about your own worries and things you noticed and are concerned about.

This will disarm them, and hopefully get a truthful response if you are wanting to give them a second chance.
  16. Spyder73 New Member

I don't remember applying to your guild OP

Not sure how you folk play on these trash can TLPs
  17. khysanth Journeyman

Spyder is so triggered about the existence of TLPs that he has to come here and post after being temporarily banned from the P99 forums for using homophobic language.
  18. Spyder73 New Member

Naw bro - I want to play on Agnarr after they unlock Beastlords for real. I check in here once or twice every few months. Thought it was funny seeing a P99 post