Are there any raiding guilds that do not require Discord?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Sagarmatha, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Sagarmatha Augur

I've been in every type of guild over 18 years. HIGH END raiding, lower raiding, and even casual, "grouping only" guilds. I am in one of the top raiding guilds on live right now.

I want to join Agnarr; my question is: are there any raiding guilds that DO NOT require Discord, or any other type of voice chat?!?

YES, I realize it makes raiding infinitely easier. Obviously. However, <get off of my lawn moment>, classic EQ never had that crutch, and raiding was MUCH more immersive. I like to listen to the sounds of the game, and HATE HATE HATE the sounds of a human voice from a dude from somewhere like Idaho. There's always also a neckbeard or fat chic pretending to be hawt commenting in there as well. My guild is amazing, and I love my guildies, but I really don't want to hear your voices. It completely kills the fantasy.

I raid six days per week for many hours. Is there a place for me on Agnarr?
    Drusi and Ckador like this.
  2. Rampart New Member

Going to step on your lawn here, we were using Roger Wilco VOIP before EQ came out. Used it in Ultima Online which made coordinating our efforts much easier... it was a no brainer for us to use it in EQ...
    Sendori likes this.
  3. Sagarmatha Augur

NP, fair enough.

Is it not better to listen to just the sounds? The sound of a noble dragon going down for the benefit of unfit killers? Sooo fun, and shameful.

It's just the neckbeards voices that kill me. My guild leader (although, a great raid leader) seems to like to inject his, "personality." This is NOT what I want from EQ.
  4. Mwapo Augur

I think the answer is no. It's just too easy to use voice chat compared to typing out every raid command.
    CexiiBish likes this.
  5. Sushi-BB New Member

We don't (Imperium Deus). Like the OP, social usage of discord is fine as optional but raiding wise we use all tools in game and work well within those means.

It's really a matter of raid leading prerogative, preference and style. And using rsay solely keeps the nostalgia a bit more intact as per OP.
  6. Mephits New Member

7. ForumBoss Augur

I agree as well. Another benefit of raid instructions in RS is that it is persistent, so if someone talks over the RL, or the RL mumbles, or you forget, you can refer back to the text. Also, you can listen to music at full volume.
  8. Aegir Augur

Also prefer /rsay. TS and Discord is optional but not required in the guild I raid.

And yeah, totally with you on this one, Sagarmatha. Voice Chat ruins the fantasy aspect of raiding and the characters you bond with during raids. It's like the last sacred piece of an old world where everything isn't served to you on a plate upfront but you have to imagine and work for it through the tools you have. I enjoy the challenge and environment it creates, even though you sometime end up with a novels work of typing after you done raidleading.

Remember sitting with Pen and Paper making raid groups? :)
    Drusi and Drogba like this.
  9. Xeris Augur

Neckbeard from Idaho and fat chic.... that's pretty rude, lol.
    Kattria Minx likes this.
  10. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Yes, because a real life gathering of 50+ people is always completely quiet thus letting you enjoy the peaceful sounds of nature and gently playing music. Voices are immersion killing!
  11. Guzzle Augur

My immersion is infinitely increased by talking to people like you would in real life. /shrug
  12. Beimeith Lord of the Game

I'm quite pleasant in real life, but then I'm usually not surrounded by people saying and complaining about dumb things all the time like here on the forums.
    Smokezz likes this.
  13. Renshu Augur

Start a guild:

<Breakdown in Communication>
    Chatoyan likes this.
  14. Garmr Augur

L O L
    Chatoyan and Ethereal like this.
  15. Semah Augur

Pretty sure once OoW hits you'll need to go to Discord.
  16. Yanster Augur

Mute everyone but the 2-3 raid leaders
  17. Ethereal Augur

I raided without comms in EQ up to the start of POP. Raiding became way more fun and engaging to me after that. Good luck with your search.
  18. Numi Journeyman

my biggest problem with voice chat in EQ is that 95% of the conversation has nothing to do with EQ. I do not want to be raiding or grouping and have to listen to someone talk about the girl they tried to pick up at a bar last night, or list out their favorite Scotch Whiskies or yack about their favorite TV shows.
  19. Brumans Augur

Then the problem is your guild has no voice chat discipline while raiding.
    MBear, Chatoyan and PathToEternity like this.
  20. Jaime Lannister Augur

More or less agree minus the stereotypes.

I mute teamspeak 90% of the time as is.I also mute EQ in general. One of the main reasons I enjoy EQ is because it takes so little effort to play that I can watch/listen/do things on my second monitor while I'm playing it. Listening to people talk in teamspeak while I'm watching some show drives me nuts.