Necro DoT revamp

Discussion in 'Casters' started by ceto, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Superdeath Lorekeeper

waiting for necro dots to be revamped.. Current Druids/shamans are doing more damage with their DoTs than a necro till he has a full spell bar on the mob.
  2. fransisco Augur

that is meaningless.
    EVERYONE does more damage than a necro until he has several dots up.
  3. autofire Journeyman

"a necro is meaningless EVERYONE does more damage"
    Fixed it for you
    Ryanxp and Superdeath like this.
  4. Brohg Augur

Thing is, I see you post that and I don't think "wow, classes are way out of whack" so much as I think "huh, the necros I raid with are still dealing great damage, they just have some valid playstyle complaints. maybe this fella is doing something wrong"
    High Voltage and fransisco like this.
  5. autofire Journeyman

not sure who your responding too but ill say there is a world of difference where necro are at in the group game vs raids and live vs tlp. not to mention waiting a year and a half for your class to be overhauled (while actually losing dps on raids cause now they have to fight even more for spell slots on the mob)has left a lot of people frustrated.
  6. Vindicate Elder

I'd love to see necro casting cut back from having to use so many spell sets to do dps, and to be honest, the average person to pick up a necro doesn't have the foggiest how to make dps come out of one. From my experience they have to be the hardest class in EQ to play to maximum potential. There are just way too many things that go into getting really good dps out of a necro. What would be really awesome, though, is seeing these forums littered with creative solutions instead of complaints.

My creative solution is going to be, cut back on the number of dot lines for necros to cast, either merge or delete some, then buff the remaining. For better or worse this would make them more like shaman dot casting for dps, which personally I really love. Its simple, anyone can pick it up, and play decently with. Is this going to anger the very few necros that know how to get the massive necro dps out on raids? IDK! In my opinion they'll just have to suck it up. Necro has been a tragically broken class for a while now, that just so happens is able to do very good dps for the people that put in effort, but its still broken. The user friendly version of necros are basically doing mercenary dps in groups, its really sad to watch cuz I know what they're capable of.

Either that, or reduce all necro dot casting times to 1 second each. If they have to stack so many to be effective dps, at least ease the ability to get them all cast.

Or! do both! Give them fewer but buffed dots with very low casting times and watch all the berserkers rage quit. And add a decapitation component with a 5% chance for your dots to make a lvl <104 mobs head explode due to infection.....BOOM
  7. Superdeath Lorekeeper

herp derp, on TLP servers, the necro is in such a bad shape compared to other dps classes due to the huge melee dps boost, and the 100% crit boost for nukes.
  8. fransisco Augur

Glad to see you can read and write now!
    News flash - there is more to the game than whatever tlp you play on
  9. Superdeath Lorekeeper

News flash- more people play on Phinigal than any of your live servers. so, keeping the TLP's happy keeps the money flowing in for arrogant people like you.
  10. Derd Augur

Not true, unless your saying Phinny has more than any 1 live server. But in total live still has more than tlp's combined.
    fransisco likes this.
  11. Cyanogen New Member

Sure would be great to get any kind of blue reply on this, or maybe a shout out in the next general patchcnotes.
  12. Supafro New Member

Also curious if/when/where the Blues are with the revamp for Nec dots.

Thanks!
  13. fransisco Augur

It is getting pretty late in the year for a major change.
    I'm starting to worry this won't happen until after the xpac, which means a few months after that due to all the fixes/changes that occur with xpacs.
  14. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

"“DoT revamps will resume after I'm reasonably happy with these spells for Empires of Kunark. Doing both at once is madness.”

Member? I member.
  15. fransisco Augur

Unfortunately, they got busy and things are slipping.

There is still hope for the next patch, but after we hit Oct I'd be rather doubtful about it happening before March or later.
  16. nantalbus Elder

I have gotten to the point where I am thinking that they might just leave all current spells alone and giving us new ones in next exp that start the new trend.
  17. smash Augur

It is a lot easier, make all new dots not stack with all the previous ones.

Then they would not have the job of rebalancing from lvl 1-105, just balance from 106-110.
    fransisco likes this.
  18. ~Mills~ Augur

Going to get screwed over yet again. Any power you might expect to get in expansion will be unlikely as they know eventually even if its two years late that revamps for the class COULD come sometime in February 2018 or after.
  19. Azorin Journeyman

Necro Spell Lines (# of previous versions we use)

(Group) "Not so Swift DoTs" (12s duration) 24s reuse, 3s cast time.
    Currently we can cast 3 of the 5 swifts due to some shared timers. Group necros in most instances are terrible DPS. This needs to be fixed.
    All swift dot cast times need to be instant or at most 1 sec to help with fast kills in the group game. Reuse time needs to be 18s or none like shaman have now. Another option is have a single spell cast both swift dots on the same timer.

Timer 5: Flashblaze & Swift Venom (Make this one spell)
    Timer 6: Swift Sickness & Swift Deconstruction (Make this one spell)
    Timer 12: Swift Lifedraw

Necros will need Swift DoTs unlocked or combined, add another tick to allow twin casting, instant cast, and remove raid restriction. Basically make them like shaman "swift" dots.

Short DoTs (30s Duration) [3 spells after consolidation]
    Pyre of Jorobb: 3849 / tick (we use last 3 versions) 30s
    Ignite Synapsis: 3314(+424) / tick (last 3 versions) 30s
    Annihilation: 2742 / tick (last 2 versions) 30s

(Raid / Solo DoTs)

Mid-Range DoTs: 42-54s Duration [4-5 spells after consolidation]
    Dichotomic Paroxysm: 13927+ / tick, 42s, 1 min. reuse
    Glistenwing Venom: 2800 / tick (2 versions) 42s
    Plexiphara's Pallid Haze: 2367 / tick (2 versions) 42s
    Liquefaction: 1787 / tick, 54s
    Pyre of the Lost: 2070 / tick, 54s
    - Chaotic Liquefaction (Liquefaction & Pyre of the Lost + Debuff)
    - Many necros use this over the single spells.

-- These spells need updated versions or changes:
    Dark Leech: 1920 / tick (not upgraded last 2 expansions) 42s
    - nice for group game and raids (need upgrade)
    Scourge of Fates: 2464 (3868 undead)/tick 42s
    - (spell line has no upgraded version)
    Plexipharia's Grasp: 1976/tick (6 sec. cast time!!!) 42s
    - TOO SLOW TO CAST! (Remove this spell line or fix the cast time.)

Long DoTs: 1+ Min Duration [3 spells after consolidation]
    Mortiferous Wounds: 1969 / tick (all 3 versions) 1m 36s
    - Reduce Wounds spell duration to 42s (like shaman version).
    Smouldering Shadow: 2162 / tick (1 version) 1m 24s
    Livianus' Decay: 1555 / tick (2 versions) 1m 24s

These spells need to be changed or removed from game:
    Grip of Jabaum: 1719 / tick (not cast, conflicts with other debuffs). 1m
    - Combine with another spell / make stackable - make it like cripple?
    Splirt: crap/tick (not cast, not useful, too long, abandoned spell line) 2m
    - Remove this line

My Spell Lines and versions I use for RAID/Root-DoT:

Dichotomic Paroxysm: 13927+ / tick, 42s, 1 min. reuse

Pyre of Jorobb 30s (3849 base)
    - Pyre of Marnek 30s (3325 base)
    - Pyre of Hazarak 30s (2742 base)
    -- ~14-18% difference in base damage
    -- Combined DoT should be around 10k / tick

Ignite Synapse 30s (3314 base + 424)
    - Ignite Thoughts 30s (2863 base + 367)
    - Ignite Potential 30s (2361 base + 274)
    -- ~14-18% difference in base damage
    -- Combined DoT should be around 9k / tick
    -- Fix mana part

Glistenwing Venom 42s (2800 base)
    - Binaesa Venom 42s (2419 base)
    -- ~14% difference in base damage
    -- Combined DoT should be around 5k / tick

Annihilation 30s (2742 base)
    - Termination (2487 base)
    -- ~10% difference in base damage
    -- Combined DoT should be around 5k / tick

Plexipharia's Pallid Haze 42s (2367 base)
    - Halstor's Pallid Haze 42s (2045 base)
    -- ~14% difference in base damage
    -- Combined DoT should be around 4k / tick

Scourge of Fates 42s (2347 base or 3685 undead)
    -- Need upgraded version around 4k/tick & 10k+ vs undead

Smouldering Shadow 1m 24s (2162 base) - some necros stack older versions, I don't.
    -- Combined DoT should be around 3k / tick

Mortiferous Wounds 1m 36s (1969 base) - bonus dot on fade
    - Pernicious Wounds 1m 36s (1786 base) - bonus dot on fade.
    - Necrotizing Wounds 1m 36s (1473 base) - bonus dot on fade.
    -- ~10-18% difference in base damage
    -- Combined DoT should be around 3-5k / tick
    -- Duration changed to 42s (like shaman version of wounds)

Chaotic Liquefication (Scent of Nightfall + 1 or 2 dots) - I don't stack older versions.
    -- Pyre of the Lost 54s (2070 base)
    -- Liquifaction 54s (1787 base)
    -- Combined DoTs should be around 3k / tick each

Dark Leech 42s (1920 base) - needs upgrade to about 3k / tick

Livianus' Decay 1m 24s (1555 base)
    - Wuran's Decay 1m 24s (1402 base)
    -- ~10% difference in base damage
    -- Combined DoT should be around 3k / tick

Average change in base damage between older versions is 10-18%. When we lose those older spells, we would need an estimated increase of 82-90% (even higher for lines we use more than one previous version) in the parent spell's base damage to reach our current dps level. This is NOT taking in consideration AA and other focus effects.

I would think we can expect at most a 20-35% increase in the parent spell base damage. We will go from ~20 DoTs to about 12 and with less total base damage (~40% fewer DoTs).

Looks very messy to sort this all out in a balanced way but I think my estimates are very close to where DoTs should be after combined.
  20. Vanlaven Elder

Just a thought: they could give most or all of the revamped dots the old splurt treatment. Just make them start out ticking very low but ramp up very high so that the new total dmg is about equall to 2-3 of the current dots from that line combine but preserving the necros weakness in short fights and maintaining their strengths in long fights and in solo efficiency. This might have been brought up before but just figured I'd add my 2cp.