Global rares for next expansion?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Benito, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Perhaps it is too late in the development cycle to change a decision on global rares. Will we be seeing another set of raid-quality weapons and non-visibles? I am a bit annoyed by cross-server sellers. (Ironically, I pleaded for more global rares a year ago). I know that the level cap will rise so a new set of global rare raid items seem natural. However, I think the next set of global rares should be narrowed to follow the model of Plane of War rares (i.e. Soul of the Grandmaster upgrade, Stone of Judgment upgrade, Circle clicks) with rare tradeable illusion(s) mask and/or new big bags. Perhaps, even ultra rare but tradeable "Ancient Spells" could make an appearance?
  2. Smokezz The Bane Crew

How do you "know" there is a level cap increase?
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I misspoke. I should have qualified my statement "I know - in all likelihood"

Likelihood derived from lack of level increase in 2 expansions, logical end sequence for Kunark Part 2, and spell data showing higher caps. Will it be a 2-3 level increase or 5 level increase may be the better question.
  4. svann Augur

The level cap is going away, but you will need to purchase cap raises from the marketplace. I dont know, but some people are saying that.
    Benito likes this.
  5. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I really hope that won't be the case, just buying the expansion(and having a subscription) should be enough to gain access to a power increase(however they implement it).

Buying "cap-increases" in the marketplace sounds like a bad "freemium"-game.:(
  6. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Lol, Jumbur...
    Me thinks that guy was joking along the lines of "people, eat dung. Billions of flies can't err".

I wonder about the OP though.
    So, because cross-server tells is the "new thing" for some idiots that can't sell their overpriced junk on their local server, he now wants no such items anymore, but make them no-trade like the PoWar items?
    That kind of defeats the purpose of the rares really.
    PoWar at the time could only be done by raiders anyways and even in full TBM raid gear groups were frequently wiping in there.

When i see someone from another server in general-channel, i auto-add him to ignore on my main.
    What i'd really wish for is to have that automated...
    Or being able to prevent / ignore x-server "participants" in general channels on a global setting.
    (ex guildies and server-moved friends are still welcome in private/guild channels and tells)

Trying to cure a symptom with such ill-thought-up ideas as posted in the OP isn't the way at least!
  7. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Each PoWar item came in 2 versions, a quested(or drop from a specific mob) nodrop version, and a tradeable version that could(very rare) drop from any mob, afaik.
  8. baider Elder

you guys are making absolutely no sense...

why would eq devs all of a sudden change the level increase increment they have used for almost 20 years? you have to be kidding thinking they would do 2-3 levels....

Also they arent going to do a damn marketplace purchase to increase level cap, that just isnt at all how they have done things. The marketplace is solely used for optional things to enhance gameplay, nothing that directly effects gameplay.

Lastly thinking they would do a level increase in the middle of one expansion is stupid. Why would they do EoK part 2 but make it now scaled for level 110? then they run into the same problem they have now of limited raid content because EoK part 1 would be trivial so that level 110s would now only raid eok part 2 and it just makes no sense if you are going to have a part 1 and 2 to slap a level increase right in the middle.
  9. fransisco Augur

10. Natal Augur

Until it happens in the absence of a level increase.

With a new expansion they could make new TS armor while still keeping the level at 105. No reason why not, after all, regular armor in new expansions is increased in power even though the level stays the same.
  11. fransisco Augur

its always possible, but there has been an established pattern for over 15 years now. Without evidence to the counter, you can bet on an increase
  12. Nolrog Augur

No one is saying that, because it's completely false.
  13. Siddar Augur

I don't support rare items because of what the dev's consider them a substitute for.

Rare item are a substitute for low level raids in dev's view. They are complete failure as substitute for low level raids. You can see the purpose of rare items by looking at how raids have been designed. RoF had NToV, CotF induced rare items and didn't have low level raids. Yea I know CotF early raids weren't that hard but they were clear step up from RoF raiding. TBS had rare items again and absolutely no low level raids. BM had Fear and Hate so there were no rare items that dropped raid quality loot of random mobs. Kunark again we see the rare drops return and no low level raids.

The items may be popular in themselves but as intended replacements for low level raids they have been a disaster for the guild that used to rely on those low level raids. There is no way you can equip enough of guild in those item to make a difference in progression. That is contrast to low level raiding that did allow those guilds to continue raiding.
  14. Endless Augur

The last two "expansions" were only a few zones, many of which were polished up zones we already have. "Established pattern" ended two expansions ago.
  15. Benito EQ player since 2001.

As mentioned above, PoWar rares came in no trade and tradeable versions. The main point I am getting at is to "narrow" the scope of tradeable global rares (at least until the next expansion) so that the Market is not flooded by another batch of raid-quality weapons and non-visibles. Instead, you have fewer tradeable items but said items in higher demand (e.g. Soul of the Grandmaster aug equivalent for this expac).
  16. EnchFWO Augur

^This.

Given the neglect of tradeskills flat out the past two(?) expansions... adding in new TS gear WITHOUT a level increase seems completely feasible if they want to play catch-up and offer something worthwhile without automatically trivializing the items due to a... level increase.

Basically assumptions in either direction could argue in their favor for one reason or another. Unless someone leaks some top secret info we will just have to wait 2ish+ months for this level increase debate to end. I'd rather them just say now so people could shut up about it since it wouldn't have much effect given all the ways they've managed to squash stored XP and sploity-ness of release day leveling.
  17. Zhaunil_AB Augur

I still don't get the "why".
    In the OP and the above one you have given two reasons for your request:
    a) because the cross-server-tells of people auctioning them annoy you and
    b) because the market were flooded.
    Both are, from my point of view, irrelevant to the request, or - as i said above - doctoring a symptom at best.

against the annoyance by cross-server (or other) tells, we have /ignore.

And on b)?
    I do not see a "flooded market".
    I have personally gotten 6,7 or 8 "rares" since release.
    But i have multiple max-level ALTs and boxes that theoretically could use them.
    4characters among those that i play more or less evenly often.
    None of my ALTs has one of these tradeable EoK rares.
    I know many that haven't gotten anything or lost a roll in the group they were in at the time.
    Those are mains...

Now, i have given most of mine to a select few non-raiding friends (mains).
    Only one or two items are waiting for a trade for one item useable by one of those mains

Others are auctioning them off for an unholy amount of Kronos, don't sell so end up hogging them.
    A few are/were using them on ALTs until the guild they are in has gotten enough gear to start giving loot to ALTs instead of letting it rot.

So no, the market is not flooded, far from it.

I think the idea of these rares is a nice bonus for those that play often and kill a lot.
    If anything should be changed perhaps, then that the high-HP mobs like giants and constructs/golems should have a slightly higher chance to drop them than the regular trash mob.
    Because it has been stated that each kill gives a chance, so the number of kills / speed at which you and other people in the zone are killing counts.
    (which is - so dev said - why we see those rares basically only in one or two zones, as the others tend to be fairly empty most of the time)
    And these types of mobs simply die slower, making them less "attractive" to kill for a group outside of tasks or collectibles.

Or better yet:
    don't have actual items drop, but (tradeable) tokens that can be turned in for something for your class (which is then either attunable too or at least heirloom, i.e. maintaining the "pass-me-down" functionality of present items) ...
  18. Benito EQ player since 2001.

A. Ignore list gets full and some cross-server sellers persist on new chars (with long names). Unpleasant inconvenience.

B. You personally looting 6-8 raid-quality rares only proves market CAN be saturated.
  19. Zhaunil_AB Augur

"Saturated market" - from looting 6,7 or 8 items over almost a year?
    For 2gold accounts and 4silver ones full of characters?
    Yeah right...
  20. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Raid-quality/end-game tradeable loot isn't supposed to be more common than purity augs and big bags. You aren't the only person killing in EoK and looting 6-8 rares FYI.