The state of AB

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Deillusional, Aug 20, 2017.

1. baider Elder

but its not even a temporary fix. for people who have been raiding eok there are no guilds actively raiding eok on vox so its 100% pointless for raiders to transfer there which is why the solution dbg has given is bogus
  2. Zhaunil_AB Augur

You do not understand, obviously, the difference between a MERGE and a COPY do you?
    No i do not want a merge twice.
    To me, the optimal for us would be a COPY.

As in:
    Shut AB down.
    Make a backup of it's present state.
    Move that backup to a US based hardware that is comparable (in terms of "location" and latency) to any running server.
    At character-select, re-rout calls to AB to that new US-based envioronments.
    Start new server up, unlock it.
    Players log on, choose AB from character select (completely transparent "switch") but now play on the NEW, US-based hardware.
    With the side-effect of high ping that is, compared to the issues we face, temporarily acceptable.
    Meanwhile, DB fixes the AB issues, taking however long it takes.
    Onc fixed, they reverse the above process.

Why do i want that?
    Because "AB" would be MOVED as a whole.
    It would NOT be a MERGE, as they said a MERGE is something they do NOT want, it's not going to happen.
    It would NOT fracture the community.
    (as would be the case if, for example, SoD decided to go to The Rathe, Pikeys+AD going to Vox and RF going to Xegony or wherever)
    It would be totally reversible.
    (even multiple times, if they thought AB were "fixed" and it turned out not to be)

And most of all:
    It would preserve the AB community as it currently is, and ever was.
    A returning player would still find himself on the same logical enviornment that he left years ago instead of discovering that one of his old mates is now on Vox, the 2nd on The Rathe and the third has quit.
  3. Zaph Augur

Yep, pretty much all this.
  4. Thancra Loladin

Yeah right, like it's gonna happen. There are the realistic situations, that already happened. Then there's this one that was never done. You can keep dreaming except dreams never fixed any problems.
  5. Zaph Augur

Why dont you petition like the Dev told you to in the other thread,

and no, I dont have my characters, they have been eaten by AB lag
    Yinla and Thancra like this.
  6. Bolfo New Member

And... dont forget the "Housing" Problem atm.
  7. Jyve Augur

And... another GH just wiped. 3rd time so far.
    Yinla likes this.
  8. Kolani Augur

You know, I'd be a lot more sympathetic to AB problems if people on AB and other servers hadn't been absolutely awful to FV players when we were having similar issues in 2005.
  9. eliandra Elder

by the way fv just crashed too ;)
    Yinla likes this.
  10. Jyve Augur

Don't know of anything in particular, but FV got those problems fixed fairly fast? AB had monstrous lag problems (instances taking 1hr+ to get in, if we even could at all) starting September 2004 when OOW came out. Took about 5 years for us to get new hardware to resolve that.

It's why we get twitchy about problems on the server. If peeps /were/ moaning about FV treatment (myself included), it might have just been to remind the powers that be that our server was still borked.
  11. Kolani Augur

It was nearly a year once the crashing and rollbacks started before we got new equipment. In the meantime, we were getting the same "move to another server" attitude from AB people that you're getting now. It's almost delicious schadenfreude now.
  12. Thancra Loladin

Since you being sympathetic won't fix our problems, I'm not sure why we should care about it.
  13. Vaako_SK Lorekeeper

I don't see why finding the issue is so hard, it started around december, so bring up a copy from then and start patching one by one till the problems start...
    Thancra likes this.
  14. Sonal New Member

Not that you care or anything - but AB mini crashed again.
    The zone / tell / chat lag is impossible ... maybe u can send us some mail pigeons - i think they are faster and way more reliable then the system u dare to call chat service.
    Aenvar likes this.
  15. Picard Journeyman

I just stopped even trying to log on a few months ago. Between the evil tradeskill nonsense (God bless all 3 of you who love them and have 17 alts that forage across 10 zones etc. etc. to get the stuff done hehe) and the complete inability to maintain any kind of stable gaming experience I've just moved on and check back in every few weeks to see if anything has changed. It's sad in so many ways and I guess those who login all the time with few issues must take it for granted. I know I certainly did for 15 years plus until all this manifested.
  16. Zaph Augur

D'Pikey lost our guildhall about a hour after it was last restored over a week ago (the 4th time), I emailed the poor fella ive been working with about this, and even though ive not had a reply from him I feel its hardly worth the effort now until the greater problem is "fixed"
  17. Kolani Augur

Because we might be more compassionate to help you raise a stink about it here on the boards. As it is, IDGAF.
  18. Thancra Loladin

Why would we care about the compassion and help of a nobody lol. The people that matter on this issue are the devs, not you.
  19. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Karma at its best. :D

AB seemed better last night, though it couldn't have got any worse than last week. Still had chat lag and a couple who LD'd had unknown issues logging back in. But on the whole the server seemed more stable with at least 2 guilds raiding. :)

Fingers crossed for the future that any further fixes takes us forward instead of back. :)
  20. Jyve Augur

Yeah, this was my alt guild hall, just for porting and stuff, I'll wait before restoring it as... just wasting all our time at the moment.