Vanguard Saga of Heros

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Sobmre, Aug 11, 2017.

1. fransisco Augur

Saying they should be able to add it into eq or some such is like adding pages from a korean math book into a spanish history book and saying it makes a coherent story. There is SOO much involved most people just don't realize.
  2. Smokezz The Bane Crew

You want to add Spanish history to EverQuest?!
    Fanra likes this.
  3. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Disclaimer: I know nothing about the engines in question!

Some data-types would be much easier to convert than others, sound effects are probably trivial, but textures that were meant to look good with both specular-maps and bumbmaps might not look good in an engine that only support bumbmaps for example.

Each game has a distinct style, and assets from one game might not aesthetically look good in a different game, even if the data could be converted to work.

Just think of movies with bad cgi, it would look out of place.
  4. Reht The Dude abides...

In all fairness, Spanish history would be an improvement to some of the lore we have gotten over the last decade.
  5. Venea Journeyman

Not quite. SOE didn't buy it until well after it was already out. The "rescue" you're speaking of, was when SOE agreed to publish and host servers, as Microsoft, the prior publisher/host, wanted it out even earlier. When Vanguard released, it was still owned by Sigil.
    Skuz and svann like this.
  6. Reht The Dude abides...

Yep, just went back and looked and stand corrected. However without SOE, the game wouldn't have lasted as long as it did. If they wanted to kill it, all they would have to have done is nothing...
  7. Kalipto Augur

It's not a lack of understanding coding. You have a great idea! VG had lots of awesome music. EQ's music is pretty meh. They should totally reuse those assets.

And yes, VG was a great game! Better than EQ/EQ2 in many ways. I would still play it if it was around. Keep an eye on VGOEmulator.net. We're not the only people who miss the game.
  8. Ishtass Augur

The first time I logged a character into VG, I had already drowned in the ocean before I gained control of my character. But after that it was better ;p
  9. Ishtass Augur

The Disciple class was one of the best classes I've ever played in an MMO. Part monk and part healer. I could take on very challenging mobs solo, or be considered the group healer. Pretty incredible character to play.
  10. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Vanguard has at least 106 sound tracks, takes up almost a gigabyte of space, and is over six hours and 30 minutes long. It's orchestrated and has vocals. It's a really good soundtrack, and really out of place for a MMORPG.

It's such a shame the game is just being left in a morgue instead of being sold to an organization that might run the game again. Is Daybreak really so afraid of letting go of the Vanguard IP? It doesn't make sense to me.
  11. Venea Journeyman

Moreso, Vanguard used a Multiwav music system dependent on where you are. My main was a Vulmane, and I loved going back home to Dahknarg. Upon entering the city, you're given a song randomly selected with a selection of: Instrumental 1-4, Percussion 1 or 2, Pad 1 or 2, and Pulse 1 or 2. I think Pad and Pulse were actually 0-2, as you could get a song without one of them. Entering a pub would do the same; Pubinst1, Pubinst2, Pubperc1, Pubperc2. Even combat. Inst 1-4, Perc 1-4, Pulse 1 & 2. You could turn combat off and back on during a fight and receive a completely different combat song.

One of the little things that just made Vanguard awesome without being really noticed....because who pays attention to the music, right? :p

But I'm with Act of Valor, too. I really wish Daybreak would at least License the source to a team that wants to essentially P99 Vanguard. Just a licensing fee of like... $100-$200...and that's it. Have fun, don't slander DBG or any of its games, non-profit only.
  12. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Very few companies just sell off their games that aren't run anymore. At some point, there may be a new Vanguard game. So they just leave it in the closet of IP.
  13. Reht The Dude abides...

There might be some legal ramifications associated with the huge write-off they took when closing it down that prevent them from doing anything with it.
  14. fransisco Augur

Its possible no one has made an offer to SOE to do so
  15. asfasfasfasf Augur

Vanguard was awesome. It just needed a relaunch. Most people had never heard of it, and of the ones that did, a lot were wary of playing it because of the bad launch. It had the best classes I've ever played, although the combat was too easy compared to EQ. But Vanguard classes in EQ and it would be the greatest game ever made.
  16. Trebr New Member

DBG, turn the server back on!
  17. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Bring back Vanguard!
    Trebr likes this.
  18. Svann2 The Magnificent

Nerf Necro Posts!
  19. Nniki Augur

A year after this thread was created, EQ did start utilizing the Vanguard spell icons. Added them with the June 2018 game update.
  20. Tappin Augur

APW was one of my favorite raid zones. If VSoH was still around (not emulated), I would be playing it, not this game.