New Tradeskill Stacks - What Now Stacks & What Doesn't Stack To 1000

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Goodn, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Prathun Developer

If the item has a non-zero value in the TRADESKILL field, that item's inspect window will show "This item can be used in tradeskills."
    There is a separate table that stores the data for which items can be combined in which containers to produce things, and this is what's queried to determine whether or not an item should be flagged TRADESKILL.
    Ishtass likes this.
  2. Ishtass Augur

Seems weird to have 2 locations for storing that information. Is the TRADESKILL field used for something else?
  3. Prathun Developer

The TRADESKILL field on items was added several years into the game's life cycle and then populated by design. Having the item check itself, on the fly, for whether or not it's used in one of the 10 source inputs in one of the 65,864 tradeskill combines would be expensive. We could periodically and programmatically, like once a month, set / unset the flags on items based on whether or not they are used in a tradeskill, but this might mis-flag items that were used in testing-only combines or that we do or don't want flagged for other reasons... Don't have any great examples off the top of my head. That would be a question for a tradeskill guy.
    Ishtass likes this.
  4. Begile New Member

Can you increase the stack size of closely related ancillary items? For example, when a magician summons water globes he gets a stack of 100, but when he summons bread he only gets 20. Even though the summoned bread is not flagged as a trade skill item it would make sense if it stacked to 100 as well being that it is an ancillary item to summoned water globes.
  5. Ishtass Augur

Makes sense, thanks for explaining
  6. Feznik Elder

What tradeskill guy lol. There hasn't been any new tradeskill recipes since CotF. And no you can't count Hero's Forge armor recipes as tradeskill, when you only make 7 new recipes for that 1 tradeskill Hero's Forge armor set each expansion. Besides, only like only 10 people on the whole server utilize that tradeskill Hero's Forge armor, so essentially a waste of time even bothering to divert art and tradeskill resources to make that set.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  7. Nuttmeg Augur

Prathun, can you tell us which items combine in the Gigantic Cracked Tusk and whether they are marked as tradeskill? =)
  8. Ngreth Thergn Developer

Most quest based items recently had their tradeskill flag removed. The exception is if it actually required skill in a tradeskill. If no skill is required, it's items are not flagged tradeskill.
    (BTW... I'm not finding any recipes that use Gigantic Cracked Tusk as a container)
  9. mackal Augur

What about recipes that use it as a component? (Trying to think of ways the tradeskill recipe could be screwed up :p)
  10. Nuttmeg Augur

Is it like the Hollow Skull where you put 2 items in it and the whole thing (container and all) turn into something else? (Jeweled Skull in this case)
  11. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Would Chronal Absinthe be one of those exceptions? Or was it intended to stay at stacks of 20?
  12. Kimkinnesson New Member

I think a good rule of thumb might be, if it can be equipped, it generally won't stack.

I can live with a few items that don't stack to 1000. You do realize that in a couple of years, you will be asking the devs to make things stack to 10,000, and a few years later, 100,000... the escalation will never end. LOL.
  13. smash Augur

And are those 2 items tradeskill items, if not, then it should not be.
  14. smash Augur

Plains Pebble, should be flagged at tradeskill.

The special for Karana armor + used in Cabbage(when a Karana cleric cast cast imbue) on it.
  15. Aanuvane Augur

Only the imbued plains pebble is used in tradeskills. Plains Pebble is only used in imbuing. Ivory is the same way, it is not flagged as tradeskill, but Imbued Ivory is. I'd prefer to see both of those tagged as tradeskill as well, but I think I understand the logic as to why they aren't.
  16. Ngreth Thergn Developer

Much of this is because when the tradeskill flag was added, it was added by finding items used in actual recipes in the recipe database table. Ancillary items, like the ones mentioned above, are not in that table, and thus, were not caught.
    While I am not against flagging these, it is *not* an easily identifiable algorithmic process, and likely a manual process. And those take time AND are error prone :/
    I would want a more complete list to work with than these two items. And I will have to have time to do it, and since, as mentioned, it will be fairly manual, it will be time-consuming, and while I know you guys love this change... is it worth my time away from other things? New recipes? New Tradeskill Quest?
  17. Angahran Augur

Just a thought, but what how about increasing the stack size of items 'used by spells' ?
    This would pick up all of the unimbued items that were missed because they are not tagged as 'tradeskill'.
    A lot of the spell components are gems so would already be stacking to 1000.

Is there a reason not to extend these larger stack sizes ?

p.s.
    On the topic of tradeskills, how about a /outputfile missingrecipes [tradeskill]
    Fanra likes this.
  18. smash Augur

Would say not worth the time that is needed.
    Aanuvane and Stell_CT like this.
  19. Ravanta Suffer Augur

It's so funny that every time someone talks about the stacking change, there's 5 or 6 people who say that exact same thing.

What does an iron ration have to do with a tradeskill?