@DBG - Corpsebanking?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by AgentofChange, Jul 27, 2017.

1. AgentofChange Augur

We are something like 50ish days from OoW on Phinny. Can we please avoid reliving the PoP launch and know whether or not you will allow corpsebanking?

Expedient recovery is in the game now, so it will be extremely simple for people to gain a large amount of experience immediately upon the release of the expansion. So, are you going to allow players to make use of this "clever use of game mechanics", or will you be deleting any corpses before releasing OoW?

Please advise.
  2. tuttles Augur

Addressed in April

- Progression servers will now automatically wipe all corpses from the game when an expansion that includes a level increase is opened. This is not retroactive for already unlocked expansions on existing progression servers but will activate going forward on existing progression servers and for all applicable expansions on new progression servers.

Dont know if it will successfully wipe corpses or not

3. AgentofChange Augur

Oh very good, I did not know that was in one of the updates. Has this actually been tested? On TLPs, when an expansion launches a switch is just flicked and boom, new expansion. No downtime or anything. So all the corpses will simply poof when this switch is flicked?

Basically, will the corpses be gone quicker than you can cast expedient recovery once that yellow text for the new expansion is out?
  4. tuttles Augur

my understanding is expansions are all set to open using timelocked scripts (which is why gates was 1 hour late, the script was not accounting for DST), my guess is they included a subscript that if expansion meets "X" condition run corpsewipe subscript, maybe at the 'barrier weakens' stage of the script instead of the 'such and such has opened' stage.

but who knows what kind of loopholes might exist, or whether or not the script will work. Guess we will find out in ~2 months
  5. Ryak Augur

I understood that they put countermeasures in place to prevent this, but chose to delay it after Phinigel's PoP launch.

Can a Lockjaw/Ragefire person confirm that this was working properly for their PoP launch?
  6. Ngreth Thergn Developer

We tested this on internal servers and it worked. I don't think any live server has yet triggered it.

It does happen in the same script that does the unlock, a few lines before the unlock happens, but in the same IF block... so it is "before" by microseconds... but essentially at the same time, so you should not be able to trigger an expedient recovery in time to catch your corpses. It is asynchronous, but good luck as it takes a few minutes for the unlock process to roll through the server as well and the corpse wipe is likely much faster. It also gives a broadcast message and that message will be before the "Barrier is breached" message.
  7. Machentoo Augur

Let's hope this isn't enough detail for people to find a clever way around it!
  8. Mwapo Augur

I'd guess it's enough detail to realize that it's probably not worth the effort.
  9. AgentofChange Augur

Thanks, good info. I am sure there will be people who still try on Phinny. Hopefully it works and we get to grind it out to 70 the hard way :D
  10. Risiko Augur

Somebody somewhere just said, "challenge accepted."
  11. Illusory Augur

Hypothetically speaking, let's say your script doesn't work and people are able to recover enough corpses (and experience) to hit level 70. Can you confirm that their actions would be against the rules and subject to action against their account?
  12. Rorce Augur

Does the script take into consideration "legit" corpses? What if someone is unlucky enough to have died a few minutes before the expansion unlock, and is in the process of finding a rez?

I'd hope the script deletes all corpses minus the newest corpse, or something of that nature.
  13. Rauven Augur

This is easy to fix. Boot all players 5 min before expansion unlock. Lock server. Let the server unlock the expansion and go through the expansion process, reboot server, unlock it.
  14. Finley Augur

Completely unnecessary. They actively put in mechanics to prevent the behavior from being allowed, so it is now clear to the playerbase that attempting to do it is an exploit. Can simply allow players to try and find a work around and punish them if necessary. No reason to kick regular players who follow the rules from the game to stop a few bad apples.
  15. Ngreth Thergn Developer

Nope. It is totally agnostic and wipes them all. I advise slowing your play before an unlock, even if the time can vary by an hour because of DST. And the loss of 1 or two corpses is not debilitating, though it will slow you down a small amount.
  16. Angered Augur

Just have a GM / DEV Log in 1 hour before the release and state "YOU WERE WARNED ALL CORPSES WILL NOW BE REMOVED"

17. AgentofChange Augur

This would be a terrible solution, as it would cause everyone to try and log back in at the exact same time, causing a whole number of issues.
  18. Rauven Augur

15 minutes, holy crap you can miss 15 minutes for a switchover.
  19. Finley Augur

You ever try to log into EQ servers when a lot of other people are?
  20. AgentofChange Augur

You wouldn't wait 15 minutes. You'd wait upwards to 2+ hours because of everyone trying to log on at the exact same time. Ever been around at the start of a TLP?