[Agnarr] Whats the downside of Human Rangers?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Kriegstreiber, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Kriegstreiber New Member

I am thinking of building a human ranger but I realized most people out there 95% (?) are playing Wood Elf Rangers.

If I add the important Stats (STR,DEX,STA,WIS) the Human end up with 10 points more.

Why do people favour Wood Elves so much?

1.) Maybe because WEs AGI is much higher, is this such a big deal in mitigating damage?
    2.) Or Maybe because of Cultural Fletching where humans have no access? How important is it to be able to use this cultural fletching? As I understand with the Endless Quiver AA you only need 1 arrow anyways so cant you simply purchase that instead of making it yourself?
    3.) Maybe they have no access to a certain kind of items (as WEs also can wear small armor)
    4.) Or something completely different where I have not thought about yet.
  2. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Crap origin, stats are a nonfactor.
    Alekyne and Machentoo like this.
  3. Green_Mage Augur

Elves have always been popular. There are some crafting differences between Human and Woodelf -- I don't know much about. But I do remember in the old days both Humans and Wood Elves having good bows.

For Rangers and anything that doesn't gate, origin is more important. For this reason Wood Elves are probably more appealing than Qeynos Human (you can't pick Freeport as Ranger). Perhaps gate potions help this out a bit.

The only advantage of Qeynos Human is that the Hole and Permafrost are both easier to get to.
  4. Kiani Augur

Surefall Glade isn't a great origin point. Kelethin is generally handier - wizards have a portal in Greater Faydark, many druids origin there, and it's handy for Faydwer, where lots of people level. But there is at least a druid port point in Surefall Glade. Also, the nearest PoK book is North Qeynos, so even after PoP comes out, it's still the least convenient starting zone.

It used to be that fletching was better for Tunare rangers, but this has evened out somewhat, I believe.

Helm of the Tracker is Tunare only.

Vision used to be a bigger deal than it is now. The human (and barbarian/erudite) lack of night vision used to be a real problem until you got vision buffs. Now it really isn't, and you have maps to guide you too.

Overall, it's not a big deal, the biggest issue is with origin point.
  5. Renshu Augur

Wold Elf Origin is the best in game.

Right next to PoK, right next to Luclin Spire, one zone from LDoN Magus.
  6. Basak Augur

Ranger Kunark Chest makes the Human Origin less of an issue - If you're lucky enough to get one.
  7. Sethiroth Augur

I'd say probably, the class
  8. AgentofChange Augur

9. Wayylon Augur

Human > Elf.

Elf chain chest looks like a dress.
  10. Lhelith Journeyman

I made mine half elf
  11. Jaxarale01 Augur

Female elves are just hot... there needs to be no other reason!
  12. Risiko Augur

I've never understood the hate for Surefall Glade as a starting point. Do people not realize that there is a druid portal IN Surefall Glade? It's one of the first portals that druids get.

1. Origin
    2. Say "Paying for port from SFG"
    3. With in 10 seconds or less, you get a tell saying "On my way"
    It is the easiest origin-to-port in the game.
    That all being said, I prefer the looks of the human ranger over the wood elf.
  13. Numiko Augur

If i wanted to do Human I would just do Real Life.

though seriously I think its just people remembering the old days when humans night vision was so poor they pretty well looking at a black screen at night, back in 99 you did not get the gloomingdeep lantern to start with which made it almost impossible for a human ranger unfamiliar with the surefall glade tunnel to actually be able to make it to Qeynos Hills....
  14. MaestroM Augur

For me, it's mostly aesthetic. This time around most of my chars are human (monk, mage, cleric so far) but my ranger is a wood elf. Wood elf just feels right for a ranger to me.
  15. AsYouWish New Member

Because Legolas
    Green_Mage and Illusory like this.
  16. Deltaloko New Member

Only from a location standpoint. Surefall glade is awesome, qeynos is better than freeport, and this whole side of the world is just the coolest. #WestCoast
  17. Deltaloko New Member

Pre PoP its fantastic. Post pop its a decently long run from a POK book.
  18. Phantom Ghost Augur

The smaller the race the faster you seem to be running.
  19. Risiko Augur

That is true, but most people stop going back to their home cities once Plane of Power is released on the server. The vast majority will just logout in Plane of Knowledge at that point.
  20. Alekyne Journeyman

Wat? People don't stop using origin during PoP.