Stuck on the very first quest...

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Calybos, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Calybos New Member

"To open your Inventory Window, click T." Nope. That just puts lots of Ts in the Chat window, regardless of who I have selected (me or the NPC). I've checked around for lists of Everquest commands, and nobody even mentions how to open the inventory. Help!
    Wayylon likes this.
  2. Lheo Augur

3. Calybos New Member

Also: Where the heck is the Options menu, so I can adjust the resolution, brightness, audio, etc.? And how do I even close this game? There's no Help or Logout button anywhere.
  4. Calybos New Member

I eventually used Alt-F4 to exit the game, and now I can't get back into the Tutorial. Grr.
  5. Roxas MM Augur

alt O for options.
    to log out, you can type /camp or /exit or even /q.
    you can get back in the tutorial from the char select screen. you can pick <enter tutorial> from there
  6. Yruc Augur

Also for the first part of the tutorial it doesn't have all the UI loaded. It adds it as it goes along. For inventory as mentioned above it is the "i" key, also on the Window Selector bar it is the man with arms outstreched button. The options are alt+0 or the gear looking icon on the window selector bar..
  7. Pootle Elder

Calybos, the UI in EQ is a little clunky, probably because its been changed a few times over the years.
    I've been playing off and on since 2000, and I still forget which key toggles some of the windows.

Stick with it, don't let this put you off.

There should be a square icon on your screen somewhere with EQ in it, next to another one with DB. The EQ one opens a menu system and I believe either the 'Character' or the 'Actions' part in there will bring you lots of UI toggles.
    Also under the EQ button is an options button to open the options menu.
  8. moogs Augur

Not sure how else to describe this, but there are sort of two input modes. One is when you are typing in a chat window. The other is when you're doing literally anything else. If you are pressing 'I' and your inventory is coming up - and obviously since you're new you haven't modified any key bindings - then what is happening is you have clicked on the chat bar and are entering text. What you want to do is click above the chat bar (where it displays the chat) or click outside of the chat window, like in empty space. Then press 'I'.

The Windows Selector is useful for new players. Alt+W to bring it up. Look for the Actions menu. (Is it Ctrl+A? I forget.) There's a button that says Camp, which will take you to the character select screen. You can also go to a chat window and enter /camp to get there, or /camp desktop to completely exit the game. (These commands may not work while on a mount.)
  9. Questoften32 Augur

When you first try to play eq your first reaction is wrong, it helps to remember that. Its like when I tried to play Grandia the first time, or Crono cross and learned I had to deal with field effects, and gave up...then came back tried again 4 years later and found it the best rpg I ever played.

That was because I had experience by then playing new types of such game and learned it always feels awkward 15% of the way through the first play through.

Then its remembered and second nature. Eq is much the same. Its also very easy on any pc, very smooth and fun to look at.

The very Archaic nature offers a great appeal, that is not just nostalgic as it contradicts all the slick same old stuff out there. It also provides a highly interactive play through experiences.

Eq is also one of those game that can be ether candy, or hellishly brutal depending on the path you choose to take, and rewarding ether way.
  10. Nolrog Augur

Most of the things you want can be found by clicking the EQ button. ALT+W brings up the window indicator bar that has a lot of the more commonly used information.

Here's a link to some beginner guides that Almar did. That will give you some general information to help you get started:

http://almarsguides.com/eq/gettingstarted/
  11. Geroblue Augur

You had the chat window active, instead of the keyboard shortcuts. Click on the screen outside any windows, just click on the scenary. It may say you are too far away. Then hit the letter I for Inventory.
  12. Anhari Augur

You can also hit the escape key (esc) to exit chat input mode to enter your interface buttons.

Inventory = the letter "I", exit game without saving /ex(it) or /q in chat mode, this leaves your char logged into the game for a period of time.
    /camp will exit and save (takes 30 seconds so do this in a save place).

On the char select screen if your character is below 11th level, you can re-enter the tutorial. You can also ask an NPC in the Plane of Knowledge to return you to the tutorial. She is the one standing near the Loyality Vender.

Options = ALT+O where you can adjust, among other things, Key Bindings, Video modes, how you interact with the world and your fellow PC/NPC's, set your game colors for texts, change the game fonts, etc. There's a lot there so don't get lost.

On the default UI there is a Windows Selector "menu" that has buttons to a lot of useful things, like the Merc window, Options, etc. Also, there is the window with 4 tabs that have Actions, Melee, Social and one other that have buttons for your abilities, where you bind them to make hot buttons.

Good luck and welcome to the game
  13. Diocletian New Member

I would recommend joining a guild, especially a large guild where there's usually several members on at all times. Most EQ players are cool AF, and actually enjoy helping out players (especially new players to the game). You will be able to get answers to practically anything in real time, and it will help with how frustrating this game can be to new players.

Stick with it; you will feel like a god when you have it mastered and can help out others with how you're feeling now. We've all been there, bro!

D I O
    Sagarmatha and Cyri like this.