Group composition

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Moi_Me, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Moi_Me New Member

Hello everyone,

We are 5 buddy's who wants to start Everquest on the live server after playing on Agnarr for a while.

One of us going to go ranger.
    We have one who's going tank (doesn't mind the class).
    We have one going Healer he was thinking Shaman.

So the other 2 are not decided and this is why i ask here we kind of want a good setup. From our understanding bard are great at buffing melee and caster while Chanter are great at buffing caster and Shaman are great for melee as well.

What should the other 2 classes be do you need CC or just more dps.

Thanks
  2. Bigstomp Augur

Depending on your gear level CC can be very useful. Since you are already planning on a ranger and shammy the group is likely better off sticking to melee. I'd suggest maybe a bard, rogue/zerker, and if you want to maximize dps at the expense of some flexibility have the tank be a warrior (the warrior gets far more boost from the bard/shammy/ect as well so can contribute very decent dps).

Of course, I think you'll find that 5 live players of almost any class will do perfectly fine if they use their tools effectively. You're likely better choosing classes that interest the people. More investment in the toon will keep them playing and learning it.
  3. Scorrpio Augur

I would recommend one being a druid. Various ports including super high speed instant evac AA, backup healing, and pretty good dot/nuke damage.
  4. Yruc Augur

On the live servers the group composition doesn't matter as much as it does on the TLP servers. On the live servers you will have access to mercs to fill any holes you need. Also on the live servers you will have access to the defiant armor for each class which will help a lot.

I would either do as Scorrpio suggest and add a druid or I would add a wizard, that way you have teleports and evacs covered with one of them.. For the last class I would go with some crowd control either an enchanter / bard.
  5. Shaydoe_Nyte New Member

SK/SHM/Bard/Ranger/Mage would be able to take on almost anything. You could change out the Bard for a Chanter for better CC and crack, but the Bard brings so much to the table for melee characters.

For the last spot I would have someone use a healer merc for healing to help the SHM.
  6. Annastasya Augur

Bard definitely and the last member i would suggest Wizard or Magician. Wizard if you like teleporting around the world a lot. Magician if you want call of the hero for dungeons or just to be invincible vs most content ;)

While a druid would be fine, it brings a lot of the same utility the ranger already has, and the level of healing the shaman already has. Druids are a good source of dps currently but i still think mages and wizards can outdo them and it smells very much like a situation that will get nerfed for druids sometime in the future.
  7. Anhari Augur

I like the suggestions so far, but I would defiantly go with a wizard or druid for the ports (wiz being my preference). For the 5th spot, go with either the bard for the utility/boost to melee, or an enchanter, who is the best at crowd control. The enchanter also have the enchant metal/clay spells so they become very useful making jewelry, starting at level 7 (silver, clay, electrum, gold, platinum, then the exotic high level metals). Jewelry is always nice to have and looks good!

Have you pocked your live server yet?

I play on FV, Xenogy, Agnarr and The Rathe. There are great guilds on all 4 servers, so find one and join it as soon as you can. the help of guild mates is invaluable.
  8. Dabrixmgp Augur

I just started playing Warrior, Cleric, Druid, Enchanter, Mage, Wizard and so far its been a lot of fun. Since you said one wanted to play a Ranger then replace Wizard with Ranger. I love CotH too much to get rid of the Magr lol.
  9. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

You've got a solid core; I personally would try and get the two to at least give you a list of 3-4 characters that they would actually want to (try) play rather than the other way around. Those two could honestly choose any class and your group would pretty much be fine. A bard or chanter would be nice for having a more traditional CC class, but you can make do without if you are more careful with pulls and choosing where you camp. Having your 6th spot open also gives you the option of adding one of the 4 merc options as you need or another player that is LFG.

It is more important to group success that everyone is playing a class they enjoy than having some ideal group make up with someone playing a class they can't stand.
    Annastasya likes this.
  10. moogs Augur

Wow, you have friends that actually want to play EQ. The envy is real.
  11. SylSyl Lorekeeper

One of the biggest things on live servers is mercenaries. So a group of five can really become a group of ten when needed, or a group of three can start going before the other two show up.

Also on live servers, you can multi-box with free accounts. So you can each make several choices, you're not stuck with just one. Also, a group of five can become a group of thirty when needed (if you each level up two alts on free accounts as much as your mains).

Or... you could try several different combinations. Maybe one day you all use your favorite classes, then the next day you all switch to your free accounts and have an entirely different group.