Who is the KSer in this case.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Argu, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Moardots Lorekeeper

No way man. Can't u tell that Phinigel and Agnarr are totally dead servers cause GM's don't enforce nonsensical carebear rules? Oh wait.. They're probably the most popular EQ servers since like 2001.. Gee I wonder how that works?

P.S. Kills don't belong to anyone so kill stealing doesn't exist. Original EQ devs purposely coded the game for anyone that does 51% or more of the damage to get the mob. Working as intended.
  2. Machentoo Augur

This is huge speculation. No doubt the current TLP's are bringing some nice additional revenue to DBG currently, but no one but DBG knows or can even estimate how big the pot is compared to live.

And while it might possibly be true for Everquest as a product, DBG has products that are making a lot more money than Everquest currently. Just have to take a look at Daybreakgames.com and see where EQ is featured and this is obvious.
  3. MaestroM Augur

Except they don't quit. The history of TLPs is full of stories of casuals who show up, figure out they don't want to deal with the griefers/toxic "DPS RACE LOL YOLO" crowd and leave.

Then phinny comes along. Classic-PoP raid content is fully instanced for the first time and we have like, what, 25 raid guilds in time and going strong a year and a half later? More than any other server in the history of Everquest?

The toxic griefer playerbase and the systems that catered to them have held EQ back for most of the last 18 years. I've said before I'll play forever if I don't have to deal with those people. They listened and we showed up.

Edit: I, at least, am not asking for a major overhaul of the game. I also think its important to point out that I'll continue to play anyways. This is less important of an issue to me than pickzone thresholds. But this isn't an insignificant issue and there is definitely room for improvement to the quality of the game when it comes to reducing the ability of other people to negatively impact my gaming experience.
  4. Risiko Augur

Hahahahaha... you're funny
  5. Rauven Augur

The advanced loot system is smart enough to tell where someone in the group/raid was when the item dropped. I'm sure it would be easy to tell it to pop up on the first person/group/raid (who's still in range/zone) on the agro list (could even use the rampage table to avoid adding new tracked elements).

And all it takes is a bunch of voices in the forums, and some driving forces in game that could hurt Daybreak's bottom line. Hell it may not take even that seeing how Mages were slammed with a nerf hammer, druids/shaman dots buffed out of seemingly nowhere, and MOTM being applied (I'll actually take credit for this one).

As for the classic experience. There's a very small minority of people playing here that actually wants that. Classic requires some tweaks to run on Windows 10. Its why P99 runs on EQ Titanium, a version of the game from 2006. The people who want the true classic experience use other emulators. This is Live EQ in 2017. We're here to play EQ 2017 with expansion content unlocked over time. We all like our little perks we've got.

This change would only be another one with less impact than any other change they've done. A change in the meta in how the game is played. A change that would change me from doing something that is ticking you all off to not doing it. As I've said, my decision has been made. No suspensions will go out. No rule broken. Leaving your only recourse to call me names and stamp your feet in a futile attempt in peer pressure.

The options are slim for many of you. You can quit. Change your views and agree to this change that was brought forth. Or you can just endure the mess. Up to you all.
  6. Velcoro New Member

The people near the top, who mostly are looking at the financials, are going to be looking at the May/June numbers compared to the August numbers and, while not having much of a clue about EQ itself, will want to know why the drop.

Then the people in the middle will either sugar-coat to protect their own jobs, blaming it on unavoidable circumstances - or they'll lay it out there and explain why people left. One of those reasons (among others) will be the lack of enforcement of griefing, then fire whoever created the stupid phrase "dps race" (i.e. we don't want to fix it, just deal with it yourselves).

Or...it'll just be business as usual, and the EQ-4-Lyfe neckbeards will continue infest this place until the next TLP comes along, the cycle repeats itself.

7. Thorondor Augur

I think you're putting way too much emphasis on group-obtainable loot.

When you present an argumentative essay, the biggest question to answer is "who cares?".The detrimental effect of the DPS Rules rule doesn't matter in the long term of progression servers, even POP+LDON locked Agnarr.

This is a contrived issue that currently effects players as negatively as it does only because group-obtainable loot and raid-obtainable loot don't diverge much as it pertains to item strength in classic only (and to a minor extent Kunark).

Once you get to velious, the difference between raid-obtainable loot which can be accrued in instanced content, and group-obtainable loot is so vast that this argumentation fails to answer the question, "who cares".

Hell, in another 3 weeks, Kunark launches and this issue is already diminished to "minor". It's only major because it's classic. With easily farmable instanced raid content from Velious onward, this argument fails to address the prime question of any argumentation; "who cares?".

As such, the ship has sailed on giving a about this. Later. Don't really care to retain the P99 mindset of big brother serving as the judge in lawyerquest anyways. That's why most of you left P99 to begin with.

You're like Californians that move to Oregon to get away from the shithole California has become, arriving and wanting everything to change to be more like California; too stupid to realize that that is precisely why California became the shithole they wanted to escape from to begin with.
  8. MaestroM Augur

I'll let OP and the OPs from other KSing threads correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think that most people would be indifferent between a game where there is no KSing/toxic behavior GMs enforced the no-KS rule and a game where there was no KSing because game itself disallowed KSing in some non-intrusive way.

I don't think anyone actually wants p99 petitionquest.

And as far as your argument that things don't matter after Classic anyways because group content doesn't yield great loot compared to raid loot, that's pretty much nonsense.

The vast majority of the kunark armor pieces are group content. Most epics have a ton of group named content. howling stones keys = group content.

Of course raid loot is better than group loot. But that doesn't mean that improvements can't be made and that those improvements won't be felt (i'm actually scared to ask how Stormfeather works on Phinny/will work on Agnarr).
  9. Machentoo Augur

This would be a really bad idea. Solo player can just tag the mob as raid is setting up in open world, train it onto raid, and then either laugh as raid is forced to evac, or steal the loot when the raid kills the mob for them. Likewise for a single player trying to steal something from a group in a dungeon. Would create more problems than it would solve in Everquest's system. For something like this to work, you really need to not only give credit to first aggro, but prevent anyone else from interacting with the mob at all till that first aggro is cleared or until the mob is dead.
  10. Thorondor Augur

In the grand scheme of things, with elements in place to make raid content requestable instances, it doesn't matter from Velious onward.

It's not like the number of guilds per server raiding content is limited anymore with the introduction of AoC requestable raid content. Players choosing to forego joining any and all raid affiliation are few and far between on phinigel.

Tag-locking encounters just puts melee with instant autoattack capabilities at an advantage over casters. The funky suggestion of FTE = Loot and more than 51% of damage = Also loot, is just a reason for players to disband, tag the mob with 1 character, and 51% dmg it with another character to duplicate rewards for both players on 1 mob. It's not a viable resolution.
  11. MaestroM Augur

And this person would catch a ban and everyone would move on.
  12. Machentoo Augur

[quote="Thorondor, post: 3567542, member: 432808"
    Tag-locking encounters just puts melee with instant autoattack capabilities at an advantage over casters. [/quote]

Casters have the same instant autoattack capabilities that melees have, if all we are talking about is first to aggro the mob.
  13. Machentoo Augur

Wishful thinking. The GM's are going to be no more likely to get involved under this proposed change than they would under the current system. There is no way Daybreak is going back to a system where they have to respond to petitions about who gets the loot, so if they were to change it to first to tag, that's what it's going to be period.
  14. MaestroM Augur

I've petitioned several people for training, sent screen shots and /reports.

I like to add them to friends afterwards so whenever I /who all friends i can see if they're around.

Either people are actually getting banned OR they just choose not to play for a week or two after I petition them.
  15. Machentoo Augur

First, you probably aren't nearly as successful petitioning as you think you are. Screenshots and reports are not enough. Even with fraps and reports, suspensions are few and far between.

But even so, people will still occasionally get suspended for training. But if they made this change, and suddenly the primary means of contesting content involves training, they would not be able to deal with the # of resulting training petitions. The training rule would go away just like the ksing rule did.
  16. MaestroM Augur

That has just been my experience, unless people really do just not log on for a few weeks after they train, it seems as if GMs are actually handing out suspensions for this stuff. I'm guilty of a bit of schadenfreude when it comes to these people so I track it when it happens.

I should mention again that this is supposed to paired with the reduction of /pick thresholds. Make it harder to toxic people, reduce incentives to toxic people, you will see less toxic behavior.
  17. Machentoo Augur

Go do a search for H1Z1 and Everquest on youtube, sort results by # of views. It isn't hard to see which product has more players, by a lot.
  18. Rauven Augur

Training is actionable behavior. Even I've seen people punished for doing this. Got anything else?
  19. Machentoo Augur

See my followup. It wouldn't be much longer if they had to enforce it every time there was a contested spawn. They change what is actionable when it becomes too much to enforce.
  20. MaestroM Augur

KSing was rampant in a way that training never was. Additionally, there was a lot of fuzz around claiming things and lots of negotiation about what is and is not reasonable with respect to who actually had a raid mob.

GMs showed up in person and arbitrated player disputes on raid content because so many people were involved and it was often very hard to tell who had actually gotten the mob, who was first in force, whatever the rule was on your server. This was incredibly time intensive and expensive.

KSing of mobs was also hard to track. Was it camped? Does that matter? Who was there first? How long as the mob standing there before it was engaged? Did the other person see that it engaged on the other person first? Was the other person stalling?

Training is much easier. Oh! Somone aggroed all of the mobs from ghoul lord to exe and then pulled them up to /Sup where another group was and caused them all to die. Pretty easy to say.

Don't spend too much time on it. Ban the obvious trains. Let the borderline cases go or send a warning to the alleged trainer.

Except if this is paired with reduced pick thresholds there'd be very little reason to train anyone because everyone would be able to do whatever they want without having to stand in line like they're at disneyworld.

Edit: I guess what I'm saying is, most people who are or would be willing to train someone are already doing that. I expect the number of people willing to DPS race AND to train are already doing both and I expect there to not be many people who are currently only willing to DPS race but will turn to training when DPS racing no longer works.