Kill-stealing

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by abq1972, Jul 18, 2017.

1. MaestroM Augur

Not really sure what you're trying to say here.

Usually when people make arguments like this there's some kind of unintended consequence that would happen under the new system but not the old system.

However the situation you described, where a camp-stealer/kill-stealer rolls up and burns through a named before the group that was there has a chance, could just as easily (and sometimes does) happen under the current system.

Most of the kill stealing i've seen hasn't taken this form. Most of the kill stealing I've seen has been either from someone tagging a named while it was being pulled OR a high level caster sitting elsewhere and burning down a mob that has otherwise been engaged by another person.

Of course someone using a third party targeting program that sits on a spawn point and uses scripts to KS would win in the FTD/E flagging system. But they would also win under the current system. This system doesn't really address that. There are several spots where this is a real issue (Hadden, Dyllin, grimrot, the paw dude in Befallen that I still can't remember), but most of those will only really be fixed through adjustments to /pick.
  2. Ming Tee Augur

No someone with a program like that won't always win in the current system, where they would with your suggested one. What I'm saying is no matter which system is in play someone will come to this forum posting a KS thread and that I feel the current system is more competitive and harder to KS than the flagging system would be.
  3. Shammy New Member

You know I agreed with you until I met a few people IRL from a PvP server. They were absolute dicks in game yet the nicest people IRL~~

Some people just enjoy the griefing aspect of the game Lol
    Machentoo likes this.
  4. MaestroM Augur

I'm really happy to hear an example of where someone who is not using a third party program to cast spells immediately beats someone who is using a program that helps with that.
  5. Phantom Ghost Augur

If its such a huge problem, the 40 posters and hundreds agreeing with them can form a raid or two to KS back from the KSer, then hope you roll the highest.

Dbg doesn't want to put resources to fix it... show them the players do and maybe they will consider... but at thos point all you are doing is crying.
  6. Machentoo Augur

Third party scripts for casters are usually not as good dps as an actual player playing the toon, at least later in the game where the abilities get more complex. Scripts will have a jump in reaction speed (and sometimes that's all you need -- eg the trakanon ht wars on Fippy) but other than that they are usually at a disadvantage.
  7. Thorondor Augur

Can confirm. Easily whooped macroquesting wizards with my wizard in later expansions.
  8. MaestroM Augur

I don't play on Live and I'm not really discussing raid targets.

There are two main kinds of KSing on Agnarr.

1. I tag a mob that I have been camping, and while I'm fighting it someone else comes along and deals >50% of the damage before I can.

2. 9 people are crowded around a spawn point spamming their hotkeys/scripts waiting for a static named spawns.

This first case is the one I'm concerned with. The second one will not be fixed by a FTE/DPS race adjustment and is better handled by increased picks (those 9 people spread out to their own picks and don't step on each other).

I don't really care whether someone is scripting or using the fast combo of spells to deal >50% damage to a mob. Its an interaction that I am not interested in participating in and, I think, most people would agree that a system where they personally can take their group of friends to camp whatever item/named/exp without having to deal with caster_bot_01 mostly afk farming the item they need is preferable to either waiting in line for hours just to get the camp that they then have to camp for hours or having to out-toxic someone who practices being toxic all day.

Edit: I'm happy to camp guises for hours. a buddy of mine and I have logged ~30 hours each farming guises for our alts. I've also spent another 10 hours camping raster (no luck so far). That's the game and that work that I put in is value added. Not looking to reduce that input.

What does need to go is rolling into befallen and seeing that there are 12 afk mages sitting at the ring guy's spawn point. Or 7 people sitting at hadden. Or my friend and I getting an assassin spawn and while we're fighting, a pair of 50 mages roll in and nuke it down. These situations extract value from the game. I think the game would be better if those situations were minimized.
  9. Risiko Augur

*sigh* another kill stealing thread...

Nobody likes it, but it's not against the rules. In fact, it is precisely with in the rules as stated on these forums by DBG.... "DPS Rules".

DBG, please make a thread titled "Kill Stealing and Camp Stealing" with this info in it and STICKY it to the forums. We get this same thread at least once every two days.
    Illusory likes this.
  10. Moardots Lorekeeper

100% this. Peoples actions in game have VERY little to nothing to do with their IRL personality. Some of the most ruthless bastards I've ever seen in EQ ended up being pretty damn cool dudes when I actually got to know them or ended up in the same guild as them and had convos on voice comms.etc even some of the scumbag neckbeards on P99 with notoriously bad reputations are actually decent guys if you actually talk to them and don't believe all the hype.

I've DPS raced my fair share of named on Phinny and Agnarr both. I win some and lose some. I rarely ever get upset about it and if I do its short lived. I thoroughly enjoy the competitive aspect of the game (or Griefing as you call it) that the lack of carebear rules has brought about. Racing other people for mobs is exciting win or lose. Brings some much needed excitement to a game that's almost 20 years old and can get stale at times. But what do I know that's just my 2cp YMMV.
  11. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Without DPS, some people would sit at a camp for 24/7 and sorry I'm not waiting until you leave since it seems some folks never leave a camp period and just trade it between friends like they are waiting in line at some welfare office.
    code-zero likes this.
  12. Asiema Elder

Well while what you are saying may be true, I was referring to the accepted norm....I didn't just invent this concept...and to make it even more odd. I was in said zone the other day, seen same guild...different players though, called out camp check.

Someone said we have "xyz" but had to evac out due to wipe...

I thought uh oh...here we go...poor group...but then!

Guild said, ahh that sucks man, well good luck with it.
    And that was it, lol.

Was pretty cool of em to give the group a shot at resetting.

So I guess I learned a good lesson, just because sets of people are from the same guild does not mean the guild itself follows a set system of values. Clearly I dealt with the other side, but to your point....your right...but about 90% of the players I interact with would not agree with jumping on a camp when someone leaves for a few minutes to fetch a player.

Please understand though, I'm not and wasn't mad. Its part of the EQ I knew and loved!
    It happens, like KSing, and we just move along. Not a big deal, but I'm saying its a part of the game as much as KSing is.

If a guild/group wants what you have...mine as well walk. We wasted a lot of time trying to "deal" with situation only to walk away and let em have it haha. So my fault, won't make that mistake again.
  13. Machentoo Augur

The players I interact with would go 90% in the other direction (if they respect camps at all.) You leave the camp, for whatever reason, and there are mobs up, then it's not camped and it's free game. Camp is only yours if you are there pulling things quickly as they spawn. If someone allows you the courtesy to leave to pick up a new member and come back, or recover after a wipe, it's a courtesy, not an obligation. It's not jumping on a camp if you decide to move in, it's moving into an open camp that has no one present.
  14. Valenth New Member

Crying no, cancelling subscription yes, and after enough people follow suit maybe DBG will care? People follow a set of unenforced player made rules like "camps" and no "Kill stealing" to protect their own reputation, and so that others won't train/ KS/ camp steal from them.. You do it to everyone else, you better count on them doing it back. The botting plat farming douches that are doing this stuff are getting away with it because the rest of the players still buy their wares, buff them, rez them, and group with them, and let them remain in guilds. Six months from now you'll still have your botting plat farming douches, but a lot less decent players who love EQ and just want to enjoy the game. I'm not sure who they are going to buy kronos from once all the real players leave for another game with customer service.
  15. Machentoo Augur

I doubt Daybreak is gonna give a rat's about new members cancelling subs. You weren't staying anyway.
  16. MaxTheLion Augur

The problem with that thought process is that those of us who have stuck with EQ will continue to stick with it. Those who just recently returned and don't like it will simply disappear again. No harm, no foul. It's like a foreigner visiting another country that experiences culture shock while the native population doesn't see anything odd.
    Machentoo likes this.
  17. Lorong New Member

KSing is unsportsmanlike. Doesn't matter what the law says.
  18. Phantom Ghost Augur

And most people agree, but everybody comes on the forums acting completely helpless.

Someone steals... legitmately steals, not you died, left and came back, ignored cc calls, then take it back.

People have guildies, friends, box accounts... fight for it.

I watched a monk camping targin in king room, let people take royals bit said hes camping his epic piece, a group came in and they told him they need targin and he cannot have... within 10 minutes he had 4 groups destroy every mob in the area... the other group left.

If your only attempt to combat ksing and camp stealing is becoming a forum crybaby you deserve to lose whatever your killing.
  19. Daija `Vu New Member

Let me ask this:

What are your...thoughts on DPS racing on a quest turn in .. spawned mob? Like, for Epic parts that you then need to back track and re do the quest to get the turn in again?

Is this frowned upon? Just curious
  20. Xanathol Augur

It would be nice if someone other than a forum mod made a comment on this new 'policy'. Every jerk claiming 'dps race' is basing it off that one post, which honestly means less than nothing.